Nov 18, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #408 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyllium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FiiO of the month? :p
Or maybe AOTM = Amp of the month

"Cheapo accessory of the year" -Kevin Hunt @ Chicago Tribune
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #409 of 1,737
Right, some more impressions, and they are mostly good.

I've been listening to the E5 all day with my D2 and SF5pros using a mix of 320 mp3 and FLAC. A whole variety of music, everything from Norah Jones to The Game and Rage against the machine, was tested as well.

I find that the D2 actually works well with the E5, adding some needed warmth and life to the D2. The bass was also much better with the E5 on, but here's the interesting observation: I prefer the E5 with the bass mode on rather than off most of the time. With the bass mode off, it sounded a bit flat and boring; A bit too clean for my taste. The bass mode really brought out the bottom end, especially in my jazz collection, and really bumped the mid-range up as well. The high-end problem I mentioned earlier is still there, but all things considered its certainly not bad.

The clip is very handy, as my D2's silicone case has 2 opening slots at the back for putting an armband through, and I simply clip my E5 onto the D2 via those openings. Very small and portable combination, and tbh properly all I need for a portable rig.

In short: Cowon D2 owners - You will not be disappointed.

I have some gripes with the design of the E5 though, particularly the power switch illumination. See, the power switch indicator light is red in color whilst the charging light is in blue. Now, for those with a white E5 (Where all the switchgear is in white), there wouldn't be any issues, but mine is red, and it was quiet difficult for me to tell at times under sunlight whether the E5 was actually on or off. Perhaps the design team could quickly address this issue?

Also, I reckon some kind of silicone skin should be included in the package. I would much rather have a small case than 2 interconnect cables, and as the shape of the E5 is so similar to the ipod shuffle I don't imagine engineering a case for it would be too difficult (Heck, without any buttons on the surface it'd probably be even easier).

To my surprise, I find the E5 doesn't work too well with the sansa clip. I'd need more time to confirm this though.

Although I said I'd test the E5 with my K601s, I've actually sold them yesterday for Ultrason proline 550s instead.....From my brief play with the E5 and k601 combination, I don't think the E5 really does too much for these sort of difficult to drive cans. I will, however, test the E5 with my 550s when I receive them tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Some more pics (Yes, I need a new camera since my current one is 4 years old):

IMG_9462.jpg

IMG_9463.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #410 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my surprise, I find the E5 doesn't work too well with the sansa clip. I'd need more time to confirm this though.

Oh yeah? Even with the bass boost off? (as the unamped Clip has enough bass)

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #415 of 1,737
arrrrrrrggghgghgg
i cant wait. I just bought the e3 (yea i know im a little late) and it blew me away how $10 could make such a difference.
The only downside to the e3 with that horrible hiss and the too-long-for-portable-use mini to mini cable.
i was tempted to spend $17 on a mini to mini cable from qables.com.
thank god the e5 comes with a shorter cable.

the only thing that thing that the e3 beats the e5 is looks.
the e3 was a "sexy" portable amp.
the e5 looks kinda cheap. especially with the white on top and bottom.

But its about the sound quality right...

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #416 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, some more impressions, and they are mostly good.

I've been listening to the E5 all day with my D2 and SF5pros using a mix of 320 mp3 and FLAC. A whole variety of music, everything from Norah Jones to The Game and Rage against the machine, was tested as well.

I find that the D2 actually works well with the E5, adding some needed warmth and life to the D2. The bass was also much better with the E5 on, but here's the interesting observation: I prefer the E5 with the bass mode on rather than off most of the time. With the bass mode off, it sounded a bit flat and boring; A bit too clean for my taste. The bass mode really brought out the bottom end, especially in my jazz collection, and really bumped the mid-range up as well. The high-end problem I mentioned earlier is still there, but all things considered its certainly not bad.

The clip is very handy, as my D2's silicone case has 2 opening slots at the back for putting an armband through, and I simply clip my E5 onto the D2 via those openings. Very small and portable combination, and tbh properly all I need for a portable rig.

In short: Cowon D2 owners - You will not be disappointed.

I have some gripes with the design of the E5 though, particularly the power switch illumination. See, the power switch indicator light is red in color whilst the charging light is in blue. Now, for those with a white E5 (Where all the switchgear is in white), there wouldn't be any issues, but mine is red, and it was quiet difficult for me to tell at times under sunlight whether the E5 was actually on or off. Perhaps the design team could quickly address this issue?

Also, I reckon some kind of silicone skin should be included in the package. I would much rather have a small case than 2 interconnect cables, and as the shape of the E5 is so similar to the ipod shuffle I don't imagine engineering a case for it would be too difficult (Heck, without any buttons on the surface it'd probably be even easier).

Although I said I'd test the E5 with my K601s, I've actually sold them yesterday for Ultrason proline 550s instead.....From my brief play with the E5 and k601 combination, I don't think the E5 really does too much for these sort of difficult to drive cans. I will, however, test the E5 with my 550s when I receive them tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Some more pics (Yes, I need a new camera since my current one is 4 years old):

IMG_9462.jpg

IMG_9463.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg

wait, the e5 comes in red and black?
NICE good for my red sansa clip.
the black and white looked to cheap.
lol but i shouldn't be saying that since i haven't even seen the amp in person.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #419 of 1,737
I got mine yesterday (Black & White). Really nice. Haven't had much time to listen yet but so far I really like it! Came w/ USB cable & 2 interconnects: one long, one short. Power switch, bass boost, volume control, USB charging, sounds great (I never had a hiss problem with my E3), small and elegant package. I think they've hit a home run!

John

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #420 of 1,737
Where are you ordering from? (may have missed in this thread... Wayne Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine yesterday (Black & White). Really nice. Haven't had much time to listen yet but so far I really like it! Came w/ USB cable & 2 interconnects: one long, one short. Power switch, bass boost, volume control, USB charging, sounds great (I never had a hiss problem with my E3), small and elegant package. I think they've hit a home run!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back