FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #2,206 of 6,777
Couple of comments & suggestions:

1. It is quite easy to scratch
2. The "sleep" function should count down when there is no signal pass thru it.
3.  I have a strange observation, I use the usb with my laptop.  The DAC is fully charged before hand.  After about 1hr of use, the "power button" turns to purple and it is charging the battery. 

btw, is the 3.5mm cable same quality as L8?

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,207 of 6,777
1. It is as easy to scratch as any anodized aluminum housing, which isn't scratch proof.

2. That would be an automated shutdown, not a sleep function.

3. Normal. The battery should be automatically charged when it drops to certain level. It is not designed to be fully empty before recharging. If the USB port on the laptop doesn't supply enough current (some only supply a bare minimum of 100mA while standard USB can go from 500mA to 1A), you will eat into the E17's internal battery.

The stock 3.5mm cable isn't L8. L8 uses PCOCC-A cable from Oyaide Japan, which should have marking on it and thicker than normal cable.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #2,208 of 6,777

Quote:
..and when's the next actual batch(not FiiO batch as they call it differntly) comming? Will you include that Micca cable with it :p

I was referring to the next batch that we are expecting to receive later this month. We will make it available both with and without the Micca cable. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #2,211 of 6,777

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If the USB port on the laptop doesn't supply enough current (some only supply a bare minimum of 100mA while standard USB can go from 500mA to 1A), you will eat into the E17's internal battery.

The stock 3.5mm cable isn't L8. L8 uses PCOCC-A cable from Oyaide Japan, which should have marking on it and thicker than normal cable.

Dumb question: any definitive way to find out how much current your USB port is supplying? on a laptop, say.

The cable used in L9/L8 is very good but I find the connection to still be pretty weak. Not past 1.5 weeks I already found mine to clip right signal when the angled end is even slightly pressed down. Helped a little bit by trying to push the cable deeper into the connector end but... really doesn't solve much. Used it completely within design purposes and angles, so it was quite a disappointment.
Barely used the stock patch cable so can't say much about it.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,212 of 6,777
^I have L9 and that doesn't happen to me, i guess it may be differnt devices. because the LOD is very loose fitting and cuts out when i press on it when it's attached to my ipod touch2G, however that's because the dock connector of my 2G is loose, it's tight and actually a bit tricky at times to get it into my 4S and other iphones my family has so it may just be your jack. who knows( be it that you have the dual end 3.5mm L8 or LOD L9)

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #2,213 of 6,777
Pretty sure mine is just a lemon. Still sux cause even if I want to get it warrantied, if even possible, I still have to send it to the next province since there's no dealer locally. Not the end of the world, though they certainly won't last much longer. The last pair of earphones I had cable problems only occurred after 4 years of daily use; I do treat my cables pretty well.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2,214 of 6,777

Quote:
Dumb question: any definitive way to find out how much current your USB port is supplying? on a laptop, say.

You can measure the output on a multimeter. It won't be 100% accurate, but at least it will give you some idea.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #2,215 of 6,777
Hello Guys, I'm new here, But I'd like to learn a lot from you guys. Please bear with me if my question sounds dumb. :wink:

I own a Yuin PK1 and I'm considering to buy the Fiio E17 since I heard the sound will improve if I amped them. Also, I think the DAC on E17 is a very nice addition since I spend quite a lot of time in front of my computer. So, Will it be enough to power the PK1 ? Oh, and I use Sansa Clip+ as DAP, do you guys think it'll be a good synergy between them ? Thanks. :D

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #2,216 of 6,777
E17 should drive PK1 without any problem. Synergy wise, I will say there is nothing wrong pairing Clip+ with E17 and PK1.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2,220 of 6,777
Does anyone have an estimate of when the miccastore will be getting their next shipment. I would rather buy from a dealer in the US for warranty purposes. Also, how big will the next batch be.. because the last one sold out in less than 30 minutes. I was going to order one, but before i could, they were out of stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back