FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Sep 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #6,121 of 6,777
Hello everyone!  I purchased my FiiO E09k+E17 combo recently and I have it connected via USB 2.0 to my Win8 64-bit PC (w/ onboard sound card from my ASUS P87 Sabertooth MoBo).  I've been having some issues with it ever since I got it and haven't found a solution.  I usually plug my Sennheiser HD555s in, if that matters at all.

At first, I had an issue where I all heard from the E17 was static.  I installed the E17 drivers from the FiiO website and all was good.  Then, about a day later, I would get no audio out into my headphones.  So, I just power off my E09k (which also turns off my E17) and turn it back on.  Voila, let there be sound.

Now, I'm getting consistent 24-bit, 96k audio (which I set it to via the FiiO program) from it.  I also have checked off the various frequencies available through the Win8 Control Panel > Sound Devices "Properties" menu.  

The newest issue I'm getting is a BSOD due to a USB issue (First BSODs on my gaming rig too :\).  I've rotated USB ports and I still get the BSOD every 5 to 7 hours whenever I use the E17 as my audio output device.  

Any advice, tips, or guidance is much appreciated.  Thank you!

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #6,122 of 6,777
USB 3 ports can sometimes cause trouble with the E17, try to make sure its in a USB 2 port.

What drivers did you install? There are no drivers needed as the E17 is USB Audio Class 1 compliant which is supported by default in the OS.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #6,123 of 6,777
USB 3 ports can sometimes cause trouble with the E17, try to make sure its in a USB 2 port.

What drivers did you install? There are no drivers needed as the E17 is USB Audio Class 1 compliant which is supported by default in the OS.

Yeah; I've been lurking on this forum (though not this particular thread) so I plugged my FiiO combo into a USB 2 port.  

The driver I installed was the Official FiiO-E17 ASIO Driver released on February 23, 2013. I have it running on Compatibility Mode on a Win7 setting.  Do you recommend that I uninstall it? 

Thanks for the tips though!

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #6,124 of 6,777
Yes I would personally get rid of it, my E09K/E17 has no problems, I run Windows 7 64 not 8 though.

I use it for games and music is with foobar2000's WASAPI driver.

Try getting rid of that driver and see what happens. :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #6,126 of 6,777
Yes I would personally get rid of it, my E09K/E17 has no problems, I run Windows 7 64 not 8 though.

I use it for games and music is with foobar2000's WASAPI driver.

Try getting rid of that driver and see what happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you!  I'll post my progress tomorrow.

I'll also look up what WASAPI is haha.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #6,127 of 6,777
I've used the E17 with Windows 8 prior to Win8 hit the shelves... gotta say it was EXTREMELY buggy at first but it sort of fixed itself. Both with the Windows updates (I mean, it was on the verge of worldwide release so various bug fixes) and deselecting some of the sample rate formats. But never ever had to manually install any other driver or software, nor ever had BSOD. Try reverting back to just letting Windows handle the drivers stuff.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #6,128 of 6,777
Are none of the encoded formats in the sound properties window supposed to work? They've all given off static sounds when I press Test since I got it.
The E17 does not support DTS, DSD or the MS one.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #6,129 of 6,777
  I've used the E17 with Windows 8 prior to Win8 hit the shelves... gotta say it was EXTREMELY buggy at first but it sort of fixed itself. Both with the Windows updates (I mean, it was on the verge of worldwide release so various bug fixes) and deselecting some of the sample rate formats. But never ever had to manually install any other driver or software, nor ever had BSOD. Try reverting back to just letting Windows handle the drivers stuff.

I will do that.  Thanks!  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #6,130 of 6,777
Well just an update on my problem. It's getting worse and more frequent everyday so I decided to unplug it and use my first $50 usb sound card  It sounds way worse, but at least the sound works 24/7. Going to see if I can send it back to FiiO to check if there is anything wrong.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #6,134 of 6,777
I have 44.1, 48, 96 as the only things checked. I also set my default audio to 2 Channel 96KHz as well.

If you are trying to play a DTS audio file, without a decoder it will sound like static.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back