FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,581 of 6,777

Quote:
Does anyone know when Amazon will stock E17?  I know this was asked before but I didn't see any updates from using search.  I would like to purchase E17 from Amazon since I have a Prime account and I don't get charged tax.

Micca said they might put a few of their extra E17 units up on Amazon. 

There are also 3 other US distro's for FiiO that are getting the E17 and they could put it online as well.

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2,586 of 6,777

Quote:
When is the e19 coming out?

The last news of it pegged it to be late this year. Fall. It has been a long time, and plans change. FiiO is currently working on a new guitar amp it seems so the E19 may be pushed back or may not(depends on resources) I would not take late this year or anything to be the date to look for. There has been no news for a quarter of a year so don't dwell on it. You can ask Feiao directly though.

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,587 of 6,777

Quote:
Yes, it is from USPS however and is innacurate. I won't trust it. The estimated date you get from them in the second or third email is more or less the day you will receive it probably.

is the package small enough to fit in a mail box?  i might not be home when they deliver it.  or will they just leave it on the front door?  And would we get it around the time they give us our regular mail?

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2,588 of 6,777

Quote:
is the package small enough to fit in a mail box?  i might not be home when they deliver it.  or will they just leave it on the front door?  And would we get it around the time they give us our regular mail?

IT was small enough to fit yes. Well mine and most people's it seems. It was fairly compact. They may leave it at your door but it seems most get it in the mailbox. And yes, they put it in with your regular mail. No need to sign or personal hand to hand delivery that some of my packages required.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2,589 of 6,777
Really loving the E17 sound signature right now (much better than the E7 - more options too). Does anyone know how to keep the Gain at 0dB as the default? I notice that every time I switch off the E17 and then switch it back on the gain goes back to 6dB. I want to keep it at 0dB - thanks.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2,590 of 6,777

Quote:
Really loving the E17 sound signature right now (much better than the E7 - more options too). Does anyone know how to keep the Gain at 0dB as the default? I notice that every time I switch off the E17 and then switch it back on the gain goes back to 6dB. I want to keep it at 0dB - thanks.

I would reset the unit. Mine does not exhibit this. The gain setting does not reset to 6 everytime on mine. After each turn on and off, it stays at the previous gain I set it at. For volume it is default to 20 everytime you open up the device unless you have "Volume Memory" Turned on.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,591 of 6,777
I dunno why one wouldn't use 12db gain... Sounds so full and clean still...and don't really hear any changes in balance in my opinion at least not yet.. I like bass boost as well but I am more conservative with that just out of habit. Still no distortion even at max.

Loving the cleaaaan sound from my iPod 5.5g via L9 to e17....was able to hear a difference between 320kbps and flac! Sounds way more warm than the E6 in my opinion..

One odd thing........
....was hearing sputtering or white noise sound when I paused the music from my android phone and TF10....mind you this isn't a wolfsorator a good dac at all on my huawei mercury.......and the headphone jack has lots of noise but I took care of it with the sound attenuator on TF10......... So why is there a pretty loud sputtering/white noise sound when pausing music? Is it because the 12db gain is amplifying the noise so much that even the sound attenuator can't filter it out? Haven't tried the phone + dt880 though. No issues with iPod at all

I absolutely would have been happy paying $200 for this unit....and not tempted to buy anything else. About to file claim with PayPal since LIttle dot MK3 isn't here yet...(over a month since payment, 2.5 weeks since he said he would ship. No tracking.. I'm fortunate I didn't pay as gift because I could have been screwed). Even if it does arrive I am pretty sure I would sell it almost immediately with how happy I am with the E17.

Pics again from yesterday which got buried too soon! Everyone post pics of their e17 setup!

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2,592 of 6,777

maybe I like the 12db gain because I have high impedance DT880s?  and "high impedance" TF10s  (with sound attenuator).  And both of these are very neutral sounding headphones? Anyone else just leave it at 12db?  maybe b/c my source is so clean (I doubt my source/files are better than most here).I dunno...definitely enjoy the more vibrant/lively/full sound :) 

Might remove the rubber bumpers from back of e17 so that this setup can fit much more easily into the fiio velvet bag

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2,593 of 6,777

Quote:
I dunno why one wouldn't use 12db gain... Sounds so full and clean still...and don't really hear any changes in balance in my opinion at least not yet.. I like bass boost as well but I am more conservative with that just out of habit. Still no distortion even at max.
Loving the cleaaaan sound from my iPod 5.5g via L9 to e17....was able to hear a difference between 320kbps and flac! Sounds way more warm than the E6 in my opinion..

One odd thing........ ....was hearing sputtering or white noise sound when I paused the music from my android phone and TF10....mind you this isn't a wolfsorator a good dac at all on my huawei mercury.......and the headphone jack has lots of noise but I took care of it with the sound attenuator on TF10......... So why is there a pretty loud sputtering/white noise sound when pausing music? Is it because the 12db gain is amplifying the noise so much that even the sound attenuator can't filter it out? Haven't tried the phone + dt880 though. No issues with iPod at all
I absolutely would have been happy paying $200 for this unit....and not tempted to buy anything else. About to file claim with PayPal since LIttle dot MK3 isn't here yet...(over a month since payment, 2.5 weeks since he said he would ship. No tracking.. I'm fortunate I didn't pay as gift because I could have been screwed). Even if it does arrive I am pretty sure I would sell it almost immediately with how happy I am with the E17.
Pics again from yesterday which got buried too soon! Everyone post pics of their e17 setup!

I posted this and asked it a long time ago. All questions have been answered somehere in this thread..but of course it's too long.

It's the digital volume controls. Due to it's implementation it naturally will give that sputtering and white noise. This happens mainly/more frequently on 12dB and less on 6dB and even less to non existent on 0dB. To get rid of it you can usually just (with music off) raise the volume high enough until it stops(just press and hold) and then lower it back down. Sometimes it requires you to raise it to 60 and then lower it back down before it disappears. If it happens it sometimes means you shouldn't use that Gain and should be on 6dB or lower.

If you want pictures check my signature. My albumb is suprisingly popular. 10K+ views in 2 months.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,595 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah its only happening with my phone as the source.
Also maybe I prefer the 12db because both of my cans are so neutral?

If you are at 20-30 on 12dB usually...kick it down to 6dB. Sure 12dB will work but to not have the sputtering noise(or less chance or noticeability of it) 12dB is meant for..legit driving. 215mW is a lot of power @32 ohms. For example an iPod Touch and most ipod's do 15mW @32 ohms(or was it 16). The comparisson is not really comparable 100% and doesn't mean as much as you think it might but it is a good comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back