FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jun 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,246 of 2,388
  some news share with you guys. we are considering to make a E12IEM version for IEM user. cause the output power of E12 is too high and the hiss is a little bigger too. so we will develop a E12IEM

which is based on E12DIY, and we will use MUSES02+LME49600.

Wow, I am excited about this. MUSES02 in a portable headphone amp? That would be a first!

I guess it depends on which IEMs you use, but I didn't notice an issue with hiss with the handful of IEMs I own (UE900, Westone 3, Audeo PFE122, etc). So it didn't even cross my mind that an amp specifically for IEMs was even a thing.

What is the projected price? I think the E12DIY was going for about $250 on Amazon. I know the MUSES are expensive chips. I'm very curious as to the price point.

Going to try the MUSES02+LME49600 in my E12DIY to see how I like it. I may just get one of these new amps!

PS - I personally think keeping the rail voltages higher for better sound would be the way to go.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,247 of 2,388
some news share with you guys. we are considering to make a E12IEM version for IEM user. cause the output power of E12 is too high and the hiss is a little bigger too. so we will develop a E12IEM

which is based on E12DIY, and we will use MUSES02+LME49600.

Sounds great!

My poor wallet :p

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,249 of 2,388
Sorry for this but to any singaporeans out there, if you happen to have extra muses / HA5002 chips that you dont mind selling could you pm me? :) s sorry for hijacking the thread thanks!!!

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,250 of 2,388
I may be over simplifying here but why not just make an e12 with settings for iem and full size cans? Might cost a bit more but I'd be first in line if it comes with the muses or even better DIY style....

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,251 of 2,388
Well I've decided to go ahead and jump into the HA-5002 buffer and brown dog adapter game. Why can't I leave well enough alone?  Get this great kit with all manner of OpAmps and buffers and buy both an opamp and buffer outside of the kit.  We must all be crazy.

I placed an order for 4 of each. In the event I actually successfully construct them all I'll have a set to sell maybe unless I just enjoy rolling through them or buy another amp which of course if history is any indicator is possible.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,252 of 2,388
I may be over simplifying here but why not just make an e12 with settings for iem and full size cans? Might cost a bit more but I'd be first in line if it comes with the muses or even better DIY style....

Many have tried and they often end up with an amp that is neither great with full size nor IEM.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #1,253 of 2,388
I was already very happy with the E12DIY.
Then today the MUSE 01 and 02 came in.

I had to bend all the contacts straight, for which i had learned in the past that you should never be too careful.

Now listening with the MUSE 02, and the slight warm sound is perfect for my bass light IEMs.

I'm lucky, the case closes easily on my E12DIY with the MUSE02 in it!

Now waiting for the silmic II caps and HA-5002 buffers+brown dog adaptors...

(I'd love to post a picture, but my iphone won't allow me in it's current state)

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,254 of 2,388
Hey everyone,

I swapped out my first OpAmp (Muses02) and then opened the case back up to try the LME49600 buffer.  That's when I noticed something a little disturbing; there's a compressible pin in on the bottom of the PCB board near the front of the amp with a beveled area to allow it to easily compress.  I was careful when I opened up the amp case but noticed that instead of being compressed, the sleeve around the pin was actually bent.  The E12 DIY still appears to work just fine but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this on their amp and if it is something I should be worried over or is it something to RMA the amp about?  When I close the case now, I use a toothpick to push the pin in some in fear of breaking it further but I know I am going to want to swap more OpAmps and Buffers in the future.  Thanks for any help and advice you can give!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,255 of 2,388
Hey everyone,

I swapped out my first OpAmp (Muses02) and then opened the case back up to try the LME49600 buffer.  That's when I noticed something a little disturbing; there's a compressible pin in on the bottom of the PCB board near the front of the amp with a beveled area to allow it to easily compress.  I was careful when I opened up the amp case but noticed that instead of being compressed, the sleeve around the pin was actually bent.  The E12 DIY still appears to work just fine but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this on their amp and if it is something I should be worried over or is it something to RMA the amp about?  When I close the case now, I use a toothpick to push the pin in some in fear of breaking it further but I know I am going to want to swap more OpAmps and Buffers in the future.  Thanks for any help and advice you can give!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

It's nothing to worry about.

That pin is there to "ground" the PCB to the case, mine's quite loose as well.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #1,257 of 2,388
Well I received and soldered up my HA-5002's and replaced them in the buffer position with the MUSES02 as opamp and I can succinctly declare that "THIS IS IT".  This is the best sound I can squeeze out of the E12DIY.  It is just the sound, soundstage, coloring, highs, lows that suit my style of listening.   Just amazing sound.

To be safe I ordered four of each the chip and the Brown Dog Adapters.  I soldered up all four and all four work.  What that means is I have a left over pair already constructed and tested.  Anybody wants them make an offer.  Parts were about $21, shipping costs a few bucks to and from and probably worth a couple dollars to already have them made if you aren't a solderer. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #1,258 of 2,388
  Well I received and soldered up my HA-5002's and replaced them in the buffer position with the MUSES02 as opamp and I can succinctly declare that "THIS IS IT".  This is the best sound I can squeeze out of the E12DIY.  It is just the sound, soundstage, coloring, highs, lows that suit my style of listening.   Just amazing sound.

To be safe I ordered four of each the chip and the Brown Dog Adapters.  I soldered up all four and all four work.  What that means is I have a left over pair already constructed and tested.  Anybody wants them make an offer.  Parts were about $21, shipping costs a few bucks to and from and probably worth a couple dollars to already have them made if you aren't a solderer. 

Have you tried the MUSES02 with LME49600? I haven't been impressed by HA-5002 compared to LME49600 so I'm curious if it's a case of synergy between the HA-5002 and MUSES02 (which I don't have) because HA-5002 with OPA1611 is not as good as with LME49600.

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #1,260 of 2,388
  I have tried them and I much prefer the HA-5002's.  At least this week anyway!

Sorry to be demanding
wink.gif
, but can you say what you prefer about the HA-5002 compared to the LME49600? Just trying to work out if this is just a difference in tastes or something to do with synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back