FiiO E12 Review
Jul 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #181 of 418
As a guy that wears one for hours with a RBd iPod and IEMs I find I really appreciate that volume knob.  Just nudging the volume up or down is usually sufficient to compensate for a different kinds of sound files and I have never had it inadvertently rub against something and go quiet or blow out my eardrums.  It's easy to find too and cannot be mistaken for another control.   My $.02

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #182 of 418
Quote:
As a guy that wears one for hours with a RBd iPod and IEMs I find I really appreciate that volume knob.  Just nudging the volume up or down is usually sufficient to compensate for a different kinds of sound files and I have never had it inadvertently rub against something and go quiet or blow out my eardrums.  It's easy to find too and cannot be mistaken for another control.   My $.02

Yes, after a lot of usage, you get used to how to turn it and it loosens up quite a bit

It's meant to protect IEM wearers from blowing up their drums.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #183 of 418
I think I will get this to power my modded T50RPs while out and about. For now I was going to use my ClipZip as the source. I assume the ClipZip and E12 pair well, any thoughts? Thanks, satwilson

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #184 of 418
I think I will get this to power my modded T50RPs while out and about. For now I was going to use my ClipZip as the source. I assume the ClipZip and E12 pair well, any thoughts? Thanks, satwilson

My friend is able to drive his Mad Dogs pretty easilly. And considering the E12 could easilly 'power' (keyword, just powering it) the LCD-3's, then there shouldn't be a problem power wise.

Otherwise, I think strapping a Clip Zip to an E12 is gong to be a bigger point of attention than wondering if it works together well for most users :D

I do not have an answer, but I doubt it will have a problem.

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #185 of 418
Quote:
Hey guys.

I was just wondering about the EMI issues with the E12. I recall reading somewhere that the EMI issues are REALLY bad, even picking up noise from a WiFi network. Does the final model of the E12 have this problem?

I thought my E12 was picking up some sort of EMI from the iPod touch I was using it with.  However, when testing out the iPod without the amp, I could hear the same artifacts from the player alone.  Sold the player ... problem solved.  So far, no noise issues from the Monte Blanc to speak of.  Really a nice lil' amp to carry around and use on the go.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #187 of 418
As much as the E11? I haven't heard the E11, but the E12 boost is +6dB peak, so based on specs I don't think so. And I haven't heard either of those headphones, so I have no idea. Just being honest. I don't think this amp should be picked if what you really want is an EQ... mainly the appeal is in the power and cleanliness, and things like bass boost and Crossfade are just little options. Have you been able to audition the K550? I've heard mixed reviews, and I don't have use for them (I got a pair of V-MODA M-100 for "fun" or "portable" use, and they're getting the most head-time right now cuz I can use them at work during break), but I am curious anyway.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #188 of 418
Quote:
As much as the E11? I haven't heard the E11, but the E12 boost is +6dB peak, so based on specs I don't think so. And I haven't heard either of those headphones, so I have no idea. Just being honest. I don't think this amp should be picked if what you really want is an EQ... mainly the appeal is in the power and cleanliness, and things like bass boost and Crossfade are just little options. Have you been able to audition the K550? I've heard mixed reviews, and I don't have use for them (I got a pair of V-MODA M-100 for "fun" or "portable" use, and they're getting the most head-time right now cuz I can use them at work during break), but I am curious anyway.

No I have not, but they sound... as fickle as my w1000x which I hated for a week then loved unconditionally ever since... and the hm 601 is a DAP <3

I'm going to try mah hardest to see if I can't review a pair of Sound Magic HP 100s... I hear so much hype about the cans I'd really love to actually get to hear them! They might be the solution to a number of issues I face. Non the less. I might just break down and buy the dt 880 pros again, and say to hell with closed cans xD. with sufficent [and not ear blistering] volumes they where pretty good while I was in class, and I'm sure in a Computer Lab the sheer noise from all those old pc fans would drown out any leakage from the dts

Non the less I do like trying new things! Or rather, I'd prefer to try something new than go back to something I've already had! 

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #189 of 418
Quote:

The volume knob on the E12 is great.  

I have the E12 and the E17.  The E12 pairs well with my iPod Video 5.5G.  They are attached using a single Fiio rubber band, nothing is covered up on either device by the band, and the dimensions of each are almost the same.  But the E12 is a little heaver than the E17 -- about 40% heavier, and my iPod is now very light after the Tarkan mod.   So, over the weekend I went "back" to the iPod/E17 pairing to see how it works.  

Well, the E12 is now paired back up with the iPod.  The main reason?  No, it is not sound (although I like the E12's audio presentation a little better).  I kept on accidentally switching inputs on the E17 because of its dedicated input button which, unfortunately, sits right underneath the rubber band.  I know, I know: there's a lock switch on the E17 for that reason.  But then, if you want to change the volume, you have to unlock, change, and then lock again.  

For portable use, nothing beats a dedicated volume knob.  

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #191 of 418
I agree that the iPod video goes well with the e12. I had one purchased years ago running with salvaged parts to keep it going but by now it's more than ready to be put out to pasture. Fortunately the x3 finally came out which sounds beautiful with the e12.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #192 of 418
I think mine could use a fresh battery... But it is having occasional system issues, I think the harddisk drive may be half a year from wearing out. It's a sad face... It could just be because my whole library fit on it and not my Touch, but over years of use it seems like the song shuffle on my iPod picked a more entertaining song list and more interesting transitions. No evidence for that other than years of road trips.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #193 of 418
which amp do you mainly prefer. I have a ipod classic and i had the e17 then ended uo selling it which i regret, Now im looking for another one but only between the e17 and the e12. which one is the overall best for all catagories ie; seperation bass trebele' the hole spectrem. Anyone fell free to give input.Im not going to use the dac on the e 17 but like the seperate bass and trebele.
Quote:

The volume knob on the E12 is great.  

I have the E12 and the E17.  The E12 pairs well with my iPod Video 5.5G.  They are attached using a single Fiio rubber band, nothing is covered up on either device by the band, and the dimensions of each are almost the same.  But the E12 is a little heaver than the E17 -- about 40% heavier, and my iPod is now very light after the Tarkan mod.   So, over the weekend I went "back" to the iPod/E17 pairing to see how it works.  

Well, the E12 is now paired back up with the iPod.  The main reason?  No, it is not sound (although I like the E12's audio presentation a little better).  I kept on accidentally switching inputs on the E17 because of its dedicated input button which, unfortunately, sits right underneath the rubber band.  I know, I know: there's a lock switch on the E17 for that reason.  But then, if you want to change the volume, you have to unlock, change, and then lock again.  

For portable use, nothing beats a dedicated volume knob.  

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #194 of 418
Quote:
which amp do you mainly prefer. I have a ipod classic and i had the e17 then ended uo selling it which i regret, Now im looking for another one but only between the e17 and the e12. which one is the overall best for all catagories ie; seperation bass trebele' the hole spectrem. Anyone fell free to give input.Im not going to use the dac on the e 17 but like the seperate bass and trebele.

I mean... the e12 is a better amp, and the e17 allows the treble/bass EQ. I always say buy an amp for the amp quality, not for EQ-ing. I'm happy enough using a LOD (like FiiO's L11) to send audio to my E12, and then I can change the EQ more by using the iPod presets anyway (because they can also affect the mids). I've thought about getting the E07k a few times, because it also does those treble/ bass adjustments of the e17 and I think has the same DAC inside, just send the line-out to my other amps, but... I don't need a portable DAC that doesn't connect to my iPod.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #195 of 418
I agree with Evshrug if you only use your amp for music.  For movies, the bass and treble controls on the E17 are useful, and I would pick the E17 over the E12 if you were movie-watching with it too.  I find the E17 pairs well with a small tablet for that reason.

And on the E07K, I have not heard it, but I think the controls on the side make the E07K a little better ergonomically than the E17.  If there is some way for you to try the E17 and E07K, you can see which is better for you in their button layout.  The amp is better on the E17, but I think it might be hard to tell the difference, even with IEMs (both have <1 ohm output impedance).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back