FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions)
Jul 18, 2014 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 718

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Hey guys, Panda here.

I wish to introduce the new FiiO E11K that will be replacing FiiO's legendary E11 Kilimanjaro.

I've had this unit for over 4 months now, and was only just today, granted permission to post images and videos of it. Without further ado, heres the new unit!

Notices:
The unit in the pictures is the pre-production unit FiiO had in works a few months ago AND IS NOT fully representive of the final product. 

I am not a company represenative/affiliate of FiiO Electronics and have no monetary connection with them. I am a reviewer of technology products and put my own honest thoughts ahead of all else. 

Video Unboxing:

Impressions:

-THIS IS AN EXTREMELY EARLY PRE-PRODUCTION UNIT-  A new near-final unit will be arriving soon to me.

I think that the sound is better than the E11's. However do note that I last heard the E11 last year. It packs a sound similar to a mix between the E11 and E07K's in where it has the tighter and more 'neutral' sound of the E07K while still retaining the warm and fun coloration of the E11. The E07K itself isn't very neutral of course, but the E11K offers good middle ground between the 'more' cleaner sound of the E07K's with the bass and warmth of the E11.

The design is a bit weird in my opinion. I'm fine with the curved sides, but it does indeed look different from past units. I don't have a problem with changing up themes but the rest of FiiOs units have straight edges and are these beautiful polygonial shapes. 

I think that the device is also a bit awkward in the usability section. The input and output situated on the bottom means that it will have to be strapped to the DAP near the bottom of the DAP so that it can connect to it easy. Or, it may have to be turned upside down if the DAP's output is on the top of the DAP unit. This, in conjunction with the mid situated analog potentiometer which is very flush with the metal will make it difficult for the user to change volume or interact with the E11K. Mainly because most DAP's are larger than the E11K

The curved front and rear face of the E11K also makes it hard to stabilize to a unit. Because it is curved, the unit will wiggle more when you try to strap it to any flat or curved device. This can be rectified with the little rubber legs you guys often include with your units, but not everyone will, or can use those. 

Conclusion: While the E11K boasts good sound and features that is legendary to its predecessor - the E11 Kilimanjaro -, it falls short on its usability attached to DAP's, and the physical build design that it uses. It is largely a somewhat clunky unit that has some kinks that need to be worked out. But despite these shortcommings, FiiO is still pushing out an agressive product thanks to its sound and relative issues with like products; most units like it have the same problems - so as not to fully discount the E11K's usability - and often times cost more. The E11K is situated in an agressive market, and this time, it features the stealth like build, and great sound at an even better price point

-THIS IS AN EXTREMELY EARLY PRE-PRODUCTION UNIT- A new near-final unit will be arriving soon to me.

This is all for now as it is 

Leave your comments, thoughts, opinions etc below. My web page and Facebook page are in my signature below. Check it out, and or like my page if you wish! Thanks

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 718
hmm , hmm got it , i hope the retail unit is a bit more ergonomic .

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 718
  hmm , hmm got it , i hope the retail unit is a bit more ergonomic .

The curved front and back is only an issue for people who are strapping it to another curved device. Otherwise, it is barely noticeable due to the fact that it becomes fairly static once strapped down.

As a reviewer, it is my duty to mention the small stuff. I don't want to overblow the usability issue of the E11K though. Why? Mainly because its an issue pretty much everyone is having. Where strapping a unit to a DAP is clunky as hell and attrocious at times as they slide around. Let's not even go into the monster thickness and cable palooza that stacks get. Hence why I'm mentioning all its faults, but also putting them into context with its competition/market. 

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 718
I like my E11 so much that I think I would want another whenever this one gives up. If this one is out by then, I may be able to get this one. The one thing I think looks strange about it is that the headphone socket is on the other side to the volume control. I don't know how you could strap it to another device and put it in your pocket and use headphones.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 718
Thanks for the early impression Panda man.
Do you know when they plan to release this?

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 718
Nice! The only thing I'm not liking: How the pictures aren't higher resolution. :D this is the sexiest amp I've ever seen.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 718
Nice! The only thing I'm not liking: How the pictures aren't higher resolution.
biggrin.gif
this is the sexiest amp I've ever seen.

Really!? 
basshead.gif

confused_face_2.gif

The RESOLUTION of the pictures are high. But the pictures are indeed a bit grainy and mid quality in general. 

Not to fear, new pictures will be taken with a much better one 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 718
Really!? :basshead:  :confused_face_2:

The RESOLUTION of the pictures are high. But the pictures are indeed a bit grainy and mid quality in general. 

Not to fear, new pictures will be taken with a much better one :tongue_smile:
what? I just like the look... Ohhh waiiit. I just clicked open picture in new tab on my browser, and the entire thing loaded in all its gloriousness. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 718
  So how much should it costs?
And what about the power output?
I liked the design 
beerchug.gif

+1
Would look great on my desk

the price will keep the same as E11, and the output power is bigger than E11

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 718

the price will keep the same as E11, and the output power is bigger than E11

Bigger?
So probably bigger than E10k too, which I was looking to buy...maybe E11k will be a better option to power something like the DT990 250Ohms. 
Thanks for the fast reply
beerchug.gif

--
Forgot to ask the most important thing... can be used while charging? 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back