[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Oct 17, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #946 of 2,101
EQ is not working for me in USB DAC mode. Is it limited to BT only?

Oct 18, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #948 of 2,101
Need for portability and convenience led me to order btr5! Initial impressions.. its not as lightweight as I imagined it to be. However best part is .. it got case with clip! :)
Sound wise seems good but will have to do comparison with BTR7 and then weigh BTR5 vs BTR7 from portability, convenience and sound quality perspective.

20221018_105352.jpg

Oct 18, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #949 of 2,101
Need for portability and convenience led me to order btr5! Initial impressions.. its not as lightweight as I imagined it to be. However best part is .. it got case with clip! :)
Sound wise seems good but will have to do comparison with BTR7 and then weigh BTR5 vs BTR7 from portability, convenience and sound quality perspective.

20221018_105352.jpg

I loved my BTR5 until I dropped it and broke the screen. Be careful. It’s basically all glass.

Oct 18, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #951 of 2,101
Did comparison with BTR7 and I must say .. BTR7 is more musical sounding.
Bass: Seems cleaner on BTR7. Amount could be the same but on BTR5 it seems to distort early. So on BTR7 it sounds little better.
Mids: This seems same on both but some trickery on BTR7 makes mids sound more musical. I think some small reverb effect might have been added on BTR7 to make it more musical sounding.
Treble: This seemed more on BTR5. In fact BTR5 seemed brighter sounding and I wondered if it would be more fatiguing?

Overall .. be it trickery or tuning .. BTR7 sounds better to my ears. Both tested using 3.5 mm only using same source and using LDAC.

That being said .. it could also be because neither the device nor .. more importantly.. my brain has burned-in yet with BTR5 :) Wil give it more listen time to check further on sound and portability convenience. From portability convenience point of view I am still not fully satisfied. May be UTSW7 with BTR7 like components/tuning could be the answer?

Though, I must congratulate FiiO engineers for making two very well tuned audio devices: FD7 and BTR7! :thumbsup: Looking forward to a better UTSW7 and FHP7 (headphone) :)

Oct 18, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #952 of 2,101
Seems like FiiO are staying awfully quiet regarding their BTR7 case with a clip 🤔

Oct 18, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #953 of 2,101
Did comparison with BTR7 and I must say .. BTR7 is more musical sounding.
Bass: Seems cleaner on BTR7. Amount could be the same but on BTR5 it seems to distort early. So on BTR7 it sounds little better.
Mids: This seems same on both but some trickery on BTR7 makes mids sound more musical. I think some small reverb effect might have been added on BTR7 to make it more musical sounding.
Treble: This seemed more on BTR5. In fact BTR5 seemed brighter sounding and I wondered if it would be more fatiguing?

Overall .. be it trickery or tuning .. BTR7 sounds better to my ears. Both tested using 3.5 mm only using same source and using LDAC.

That being said .. it could also be because neither the device nor .. more importantly.. my brain has burned-in yet with BTR5 :) Wil give it more listen time to check further on sound and portability convenience. From portability convenience point of view I am still not fully satisfied. May be UTSW7 with BTR7 like components/tuning could be the answer?

Though, I must congratulate FiiO engineers for making two very well tuned audio devices: FD7 and BTR7! :thumbsup: Looking forward to a better UTSW7 and FHP7 (headphone) :)
That's great comparison but is it compared to og BTR5 or BTR5 2021, cause I think there's no big difference in sound between the later and BTR 7. Anyways it surely is an upgrade 🙂

Oct 18, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #955 of 2,101
BTR5 2021.

Then it must be lack of brain burn-in in case I am hearing differences :) Trying to bridge that gap.
Ok here's the thing - I have read thousands of comments throughout the forums and sites comparing the two and it's mixed bag regarding sound difference if it's any. Due to the thx amp maybe a slight difference but if I decide to go with the BTR 7 it will be mainly for two reasons - the screen which is cool upgrade over the BTR5 and the 4.4 port which is more future proof than the one in the BTR5. Imo wireless charging is not huge upgrade and won't be using it and the form factor is bulky and troublesome for people but it's fine by me 😜

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #956 of 2,101
i listened mostly to streaming service so i mostly used my phone for playing music. i got the ifi go blu first to find a cure to the usb dac/amp burning way too many battery life from my phone. the device is amazingly small, power and with very long battery life.

i however was itching to get more power and wish to get the btr7 (i've used m11pro, m15 and m17 and has been a loyal fiio fans :relaxed:). i bought a btr7 2nd for that very reason. the thx amp produces familiar sound with authority. but there're also quite a few things that the btr7 trails behind the ifi go blu:

1. with just slightly more power than the ifi go blu, the size and weight are more than double!
  2. the control lacks careful thinking and is lightyear behind the excellent, intuitive control of the ifi go blu! the vol wheel, the multi-function button are so easy to use i never read the manual. for the btr7, i can only learn how to turn it off and use track control after reading manual! @FiiO, use vol wheel instead of the rocker buttons and make the button assignment sensible please!
  3. ifi go blu almost gives double the play time with fw10000 i used during my trip to tokyo lately! i went out of hotel 9am and returned around 9pm. listening to ifi go blu via LDAC on SE out for almost all the time (vol 65/150). yet i still got over 50% battery left when i got back to hotel. on the contrary, btr7 run out of battery when i dine around 7:30pm (vol @ 36/60).
  4. btr7's vol control (out of 60) is independent of my phone's vol if connected by LDAC. @FiiO, wonder what is the recommended way to set it? to max out my phone vol and then adjust the btr7 to my like or keep the phone vol at normal level and dial up the btr7 vol?
  5. while the led screen is nice, i dont think it's really a necessity. if it uses too many power/cost, i'd much prefer to drop it and use simple indicator LED similar to ifi go blu.
  6. the voice prompt of ifi go blu is so much better than the menu of btr7! on the plus side, the bluetooth connection of btr7 has better range. but i've no issue to use either if i keep them close to my phone.
all in all, it's another quality product from fiio. but just as usual, the user interface/experience side still needs a lot of refinement to be frank.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback.
1. Follow the operation design of BTR5:
Entering menu: While the device powers on and not on the menu page, hold the power button for about 2 seconds.
Exit menu: Hold the power button for about 2 seconds on the menu page.
Switch submenus: Short press button volume +/- on the menu page.
But we will also try to report your feedback to the engineer.
2. For 32ohm headphone, the SE output power for BTR7 is just 5mW lower than the go blu, and the bal output power is higher.
3. Battery life for BTR7 is about 9hs(AAC, 3.5mm output)
4. It is suggested to set the volume of the phone to the maximum, and control the volume via the BTR7, which is convenient and can acquire better sound quality.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 19, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #957 of 2,101
Seems like FiiO are staying awfully quiet regarding their BTR7 case with a clip 🤔
Dear friend,

We have reported the requirement to the product manager again. Maybe they need some time to assess still.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 19, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #958 of 2,101
I use ifi GO Blu with my Fostex TH610. The ifi smoothes TH610 treble peak a bit up but i think its lacking in resolution and soundstage, so i use Xspace.
The center image is a bit off then. There is a "dead zone". I'm thinking about getting BTR7. Someone compared GO Blu vs. BTR7?

Oct 19, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #959 of 2,101
Newbie here, I just tried connecting BTR7 to my macbook pro with the supplied USB-C to USB-C cable. The laptop did not detect BTR7 until I realized there is arrow in the cable. Switched the cable's direction, and it works now.

Now I wonder if the cable is plugged in a wrong direction, will it cause any damage to the laptop / BTR7 USB-C port?
Otherwise, BTR7 sounds great!

Oct 19, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #960 of 2,101
Newbie here, I just tried connecting BTR7 to my macbook pro with the supplied USB-C to USB-C cable. The laptop did not detect BTR7 until I realized there is arrow in the cable. Switched the cable's direction, and it works now.

Now I wonder if the cable is plugged in a wrong direction, will it cause any damage to the laptop / BTR7 USB-C port?
Otherwise, BTR7 sounds great!
Welcome to Head-Fi I doubt that you have done any damage to the laptop or BTR7 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back