[FiiO BTA30Pro] Create a Comprehensive Home Bluetooth System, FiiO's High Fidelity Bluetooth Transceiver BTA30 Pro!
Dec 12, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #346 of 372
I tried it with the Coax input with RCA out to the amplifier, it has the exact same problem.

Its not a problem of the Amplilfier or the source, its a problem of the Fiio BTA 30 Pro. I tried it with different devices, inputs, cables, usb ports, amps, sample rates, etc, the Audio cutoff always happens, its 100% a problem with the Fiio BTA 30 Pro.

For what it's worth, I successfully replicated your issue on my BTA30 Pro. Realtek optical output -> BTA30 Pro, the sound gets cut off exactly as you say. It's worth noting that the same issue does NOT happen when the same Realtek source is used with a FiiO K5 ESS.

However, I can tell you that the BTA30 Pro isn't the only device that has this annoying behavior with the Realtek optical output. I have experienced the issue before, just can't remember what the DAC was.

I think what we're seeing here is a combination of two issues:
  1. The Realtek optical port goes into standby and stops transmitting when no audio is playing. Some devices don't do this and continue transmitting a dummy signal even when there is silence, which prevents the issue.
  2. The BTA30 Pro goes into partial standby when it doesn't detect any signal on its input, and takes an annoyingly long moment to wake up.
In both cases it's probably some misguided power-saving initiative, even though this is totally inappropriate in these devices which are not battery powered.

If FiiO could disable this behavior so that the BTA30 Pro behaves more like the K5, that would be great. Not to mention the even more obnoxious noise gate feature that affects the bluetooth TX mode - seemingly another case of a power saving feature leading to a ruined user experience.

Dec 13, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #347 of 372
However, I can tell you that the BTA30 Pro isn't the only device that has this annoying behavior with the Realtek optical output. I have experienced the issue before, just can't remember what the DAC was.
I didnt only try it with the realtek optical output tho. I also tried the optical output of my audio interface (Audient Evo 16) as well as the optical output of the Douk U2 Pro DDC, all of them show the same behavior. The BTA 30 Pro is also the only device i tried with all the outputs which shows this behavior, so im pretty convinced its not a problem with Realtek, but with the Fiio BTA 30 Pro.

1. The BTA30 Pro goes into partial standby when it doesn't detect any signal on its input, and takes an annoyingly long moment to wake up.
Thats what think too. The interesting part is, that it only happens in DAC mode. If you switch it into Bluetooth Transmitter mode and send the audio to a bluetooth headphone it works fine, there will be no cut-off/delay.

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #348 of 372
Ok back at the start of this thread FiiO asked if we wanted anything added!

I feel it is about time this abandonware was supported, I am sick trying to get the last device to connect to it including your very own FiiO neckband.

Some poor guy had to disconnect his and drive his car to a park to get it to connect, a total joke.

A £15 USB aptX Adaptive dongle basically replaces this for me as I get all the codecs apart from LDAC which can now be down via a driver in Windows.

I have been trying now for 15mins to reconnect my FiiO Neckband even re-pairing it does not help, eventually I will get there but this is not good.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #349 of 372
The interesting part is, that it only happens in DAC mode. If you switch it into Bluetooth Transmitter mode and send the audio to a bluetooth headphone it works fine, there will be no cut-off/delay.
For me it happens in TX mode with mac as source as well. It is especially annoying when watching movies when a scene has low sound or music - all I hear is just silence.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #350 of 372
For me it happens in TX mode with mac as source as well. It is especially annoying when watching movies when a scene has low sound or music - all I hear is just silence.
Thats another problem tho, not the one I am talking about.

Basically, if the digtial volume is under a certain level, the BTA30 Pro will not send it at all. To fix this you need too have the volume knob of the BTA30 Pro at 100% and also the digital volume of the source at 100% volume. So basically keep all digtial volume at 100% and just adjust the volume with the volume control of the bluetooth headphones themself.

This problem doesnt happen with LDAC codec tho, only with the other ones. So with LDAC you can lower the digital volume as much as you want, but if you do that with any other codec, the audio will start cutting out if the volume gets too low.

I also dont think that its a limitation of the bluetooth codec itself, because i also have a cheaper bluetooth transmitter from avantree, which hast no problem doing that.

In my opinion the Fiio BTA30 Pro is a flawed product, i´m not really satisfied with it, i would definitely not buy it again.

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #351 of 372
Anyone have problems with tx mode and connection things to it. My btr5 connected to it yesterday. Today it wont.I have tried for at least 20 minutes. Really frustraiting. It have happen to other stuff to. This is not ok. 😔

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #355 of 372
Some guy here had to unplug his and drive to a local park to get it to connect (extreme measures I know).
That sound not good. I have had problems multiple times. But today was the worst. I ended up finding an long aux cable, and plugged my headphones straight to my nad cb 338 reciever. It worked flawless. Sometimes you just wanna quit the bluetooth hell. But then again,some products works better than others.

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #357 of 372
geez. I just read this entire thread hoping this would be what I needed and wanted. this product is almost 2 years old and seems to be an overpriced unsupported joke. this would have been my first fiio product but it seems fiio itself is the biggest barrier to entry as are many of it's products. buying a creative bt w5 to save myself a big headache. buen dia.

Aug 5, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #358 of 372
After reading this entire thread can I confirm my usage setup and if its worth avoiding or going for the bta30pro.

I use a Windows 10 desktop PC with rubbish BT adapter + A2DP Windows driver with LDAC to my Sony XM5 (with dual LDAC device enabled in sony app)
also
I use a Nvidia Shield 2019 with inbuilt BT and Auto LDAC codec to my Sony XM5

It sort of works since I am less then 1 metre away from both BT devices, I have an issue where the PC BT does not always work and does not auto connect on pc reboot and sometimes the Nvidia Shield unconnects also with my Sony XM5s though usually if in sleep for a few hours.

Any opinions on the above if the bta30pro is still worth a try?

thanks

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #359 of 372
After reading this entire thread can I confirm my usage setup and if its worth avoiding or going for the bta30pro.

I use a Windows 10 desktop PC with rubbish BT adapter + A2DP Windows driver with LDAC to my Sony XM5 (with dual LDAC device enabled in sony app)
also
I use a Nvidia Shield 2019 with inbuilt BT and Auto LDAC codec to my Sony XM5

It sort of works since I am less then 1 metre away from both BT devices, I have an issue where the PC BT does not always work and does not auto connect on pc reboot and sometimes the Nvidia Shield unconnects also with my Sony XM5s though usually if in sleep for a few hours.

Any opinions on the above if the bta30pro is still worth a try?

thanks
I’d class the BT30 Pro as a “rubbish BT adapter” because of the noise gate issue, and would usually never recommend it. However, you seem to only use LDAC, and according to a post above, LDAC is the only codec exempt from the issue (haven’t confirmed this personally)

If your PC has optical or coax SPDIF and the shield will support the BT30 via USB then everything should work. The BT30 has decent range in my experience.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #360 of 372
I’d class the BT30 Pro as a “rubbish BT adapter” because of the noise gate issue, and would usually never recommend it. However, you seem to only use LDAC, and according to a post above, LDAC is the only codec exempt from the issue (haven’t confirmed this personally)

If your PC has optical or coax SPDIF and the shield will support the BT30 via USB then everything should work. The BT30 has decent range in my experience.

Thanks yeah I did read that so was thinking its possible perhaps I could make do with the BT30pro, my PC does not have spdif or coax but I can get the usb to coax or spdif adapter perhaps.

I think the Nvidia shield does have USB stereo or USB sound support but it does also have LDAC codec built in.

Can I not just connect the TV optical out to the BT30Pro so I get all my sources (Nvidia shield, TV tuner, Satellite TV, apps etc) in LDAC and also then connect the usb cable from BT30Pro to the PC to also get LDAC PC audio?

My XM5s do support dual LDAC devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back