Originally Posted by nismohks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omg, this patrick82 guy is seriously a connoisseur
wink.gif

check out his mad youtube vids :
YouTube - Patrick821's Videos

i recommend the ERS paper videos
wink.gif

i've seen kindergarten kids who have done better sticky taping lolz

Haha, I told you! I recommend the cooking session...

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #33 of 384
Impressions... everyone was great - interesting to talk to, helpful, considerate - always makes things run smoothly. Fantastic as they are, I find meets really frustrating in some ways - they get noisy, I'm comparing a slew of various new things with limited time... after a short time my ears get pretty confused. I tend to try to use meets to find a few new things that I might be interested in, or that appeal to me for some reason, then track them down to purchase/swap/borrow so I can check them out properly. I didn't end up listening to nearly as much as I would have liked to, and had to take off a little early. I could have easily filled the day browsing, talking and listening my way through the gear.

My first listen to Beyerdynamic cans ensured I left having bought a pair - which I am enjoying now I have more time to listen properly. Did a little extra modding to the Canare cabling to quiet an irritating buzzing caused by the inner cable rattling against the inside of the can with each thunderous bass note. The bass (for which they are so well known) has a great depth to my ears. Realistically I know it's over the top in many ways in terms of balance, but it extends down so far, rumbling, threatening & looming - it's fantastic! Tracks like Angel from Massive Attack's Mezzanine brood and moan with depth. It isn't just muddy low noise either - it's full of tone - the way I'm sure bass players silently plead to be heard. At the other end of the scale I have reservations that there is a little sibilance creeping in to the highest of high notes. It isn't too harsh, but has been a little distracting for a few tracks, especially noticeable within particular vocal sections and the odd cymbal strike. Time will tell... but there is so much to be impressed with that if nothing else, I'm sure I will find something that better suits my ears within the Beyerdynamic range.

Had a few minutes with the Stax gear - my first time. To be honest I would need much more time with them to give a proper impression of any sort. The sound was lush and spacious; the space beyond anything else was what surprised me most. The other thing that struck me was how many $ I was listening to... not sure I could justify the diminishing returns myself... but a few years may change that of course, as I'm sure would a day or two of them in my listening area. I think it's only appropriate to extend a great deal of thanks to their owner for lugging it all in!

Mazz...

Really enjoyed talking to you man - I think our way of thinking / hearing are very similar in many ways. Didn't get around to comparing your Boa to my Pico in the end... next time...

I had a short time comparing the Lavry to my Benchmark, which seemed quite similar to my ears - certainly not as big a difference as I would have expected. I only compared via the inbuilt headphone out of each, and found the Bencmark winning that battle. Would love to have a listen to Justins balanced setup one day to really appreciate how the Lavry can perform - I'm sure it wasn't at its best as I heard it.

So I think the next thing for me is to explore possibilities in terms of amps for my benchmark/HD650 (and for now, DT990) setup. Not sure I'll be hanging out until the next meet for that upgrade... we'll see.

Covenant... I really can't thankyou enough. Thanks for your efforts.

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #34 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I told you! I recommend the cooking session...

HHAHAHA yes O M G....

What pizza is that???!?!?!??! it's like DOG BARF.....

goddddd...

you sure have delivered on content thought
wink.gif

for everyone else:

YouTube - Extreme chef - Pizza part1

YouTube - Extreme chef - Pizza part2

holy cheeeseeeeeee~~

The E P I C F A I L is strong in that one. :p

ps. lol at his one handed dumb ness

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #36 of 384
Covenant

Thanks, also for organising it. Very generous.
Standouts for me were the Denon 2000. Nicely balanced and weighted sound. And the Stax setup with the DCS DAC. Gave a terrific soundstage to orchestral tracks. Everything in the right place in space.

Stewart

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #38 of 384
its a shame i didnt really test anything hahahahah :p

dunno why, but time seemed to go by so quickly, and before i knew it, it was time to go!
frown.gif

well the HD600 got pretty good reviews it seems, so i hope they will be awesome :p

Covenant assures me that they are awesome, even with a portable amp, so that is quite comforting
smily_headphones1.gif

ps. i dont think we can ever thank him enough for organising :p very generous of him
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #40 of 384
the rigs that stood out the most to me were the:

Apogee mini-DAC -> Earmax pro -> HD600 with APS v3
Apogee mini-DAC -> Mad ear HD+ -> K701

I needed more time with the Stax though...

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #41 of 384
The Stax seriously blew me away in terms of soundstage, I miss the Stax!
frown.gif

I should've tried more home amps. Now I don't know what pairs well with the Beyers!
frown.gif
Aside from the MAD.
How hard is it to maintain tubes? Since I've been searching through headfi and most headfiers recommened tube amps for the 880's

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #42 of 384
it's not hard to maintain tubes at all
smily_headphones1.gif
, the earmax pro is known to mate very well with the DT-880's as well :), James said he was planning to DIY one, but he found that it was too similiar to the mad ear, so if you liked the mad ear, chances are you'll like the EMP

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #43 of 384
Yep. Most of the tube amp recommendations said EMP did well with the DT880's. Maybe I'll venture around and try the 880's with Darkvoice's 337 or 3322 since they have individual controls for the left and right channel. I'm slightly deaf in my left ear. Lol.

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #44 of 384
mm there was a littledot at the meet as well, You may have liked that as well, but I didn't get to try it out because it was in the other room ):, didn't get to try the meier either, didn't even know it was there.

I noticed through out the meet that you guys listen to your music bloody loudly, If I tried listening that loudly, my ears would pop.

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #45 of 384
Loud? The only reason some of us put it loud is because there was so much chitter chatter around I suppose. It's hard to concentrate on the music when people talk. Lolz. I usually listen to half or 3 quarters of what the volume was set to yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back