Fifth Sydney Head-Fi Meet Impressions - 21.06.08
Jun 21, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made no secret of the fact that the one standout for me was the stock Denon D2000. Man the bass on that can is satisfying. Metallica - Enter Sandman from the Pico to the D2000 simply kicked ass.

It's going to be interesting to see how my Markl-modded Cardas-recabled D5000s do on the same setup when they arrive - does the ass kicking come from the reputedly over-emphasised bass, or is a tamed and tighter version even more satisfying?

We're just going to have to have another meet to find out!
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #18 of 384
OMG,

just realised that the HD600 cable is 3 METRES LONG......

well.... that's gonna be fun!.... NOT....

holy crap. where can i get shorter cables from? (not APS plz. no $$
tongue.gif
)

i just KNEW it was an impulse buy...too late now.

i blame caution.... stupid ass....him and his bright ideas.. "hey lets buy HD600s together!!!..."

as zephyr keeps saying.... sorry about your wallet...

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 384
As what most headfiers would say. "SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET"! Lol. Well you could buy Equinox cables :p OR the ALO CRYOED ones.
Pick your poison!

Jk. Well maybe you could find something from Moon Audio or some Cardas cables for the HD600s.

What's the webbie you wanted to give me Nismo?

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 384
Thanks for all the gears guys. The one impressed me is the Sennheiser since their sound seems to be vocal centric in that when i listen to it i immediately get focused to the vocals rather than having to look for it like the Denon D2000.

Now for me i just have to make up the decision on getting either the hd600/hd650. I find the HD650 to be bigger in bass and have more smoother sound which i kinda like. The HD600 sort of have a veiled sound on the background instruments but their vocal seems to be brighter but seems very slightly recessed when i compared it back to back with the HD650. But of course this could just be because of the ibasso D1.

Now the one that confused me is that on the last meet i did not like the HD650 at all but i found myself loving it this time
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The diyMod vs the iPod. IMHO, The only difference is personal taste. If you prefer something more bassy, standard iPod. Something more neutral, diyMod.

I'm glad I had the chance to compare the diyMod against the classic, as I turned out for a definite preference for the diyMod. I'm a big fan of heft, weight, 3-dimensionality and realism in my audio, part of the reason why I find older iRiver DAPs so exceptional. The diyMod reminded me of my iRiver, wheras the stock felt thin and plasticky to me. I'll definitely have to invest in an iMod at some stage.

Quote:

The stock Denon D2000s sounded pretty good out of the Pico on brief listens to several pieces of music. Nice sense of epic soundstage on Enter Sandman and bottom end that made me burst out in laughter on some tracks

Pure satisfaction, those moments were. The last time i'd heard a combo that did something that well was Supermacro with bass boost running a Sony CD3K. It put grins on everyone's faces in the second sydney meet playing Michael Buble
biggrin.gif

Quote:

It's going to be interesting to see how my Markl-modded Cardas-recabled D5000s do on the same setup when they arrive - does the ass kicking come from the reputedly over-emphasised bass, or is a tamed and tighter version even more satisfying?

As soon as you get that thing you're letting me know, I'm curious to have a listen and see if it maintains the stock bass strengths as well as mitigating the weaknesses.

Quote:

holy crap. where can i get shorter cables from? (not APS plz. no $$)

Cheapest option would be a HD25 replacement cable from sennheiser usa: Retail 2002

If you want a good aftermarket alternative, a custom length Cardas from Moon Audio would be my reccomendation, often touted as very synergistic with the HD600, and probably the cheapest aftermarket cable.

Quote:

Now the one that confused me is that on the last meet i did not like the HD650 at all but i found myself loving it this time

Apparently there were two versions of the HD650, production runs as it were. The older model reputedly sounds alot worse than current production HD650. I recall hearing a 650 at the first meet and hating it as well, but I suspect this was one of the older models. Although after a second listen yesterday I still prefer my HD600, it just sounds more balanced overall IMO.

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismohks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG,

tongue.gif
)

i blame caution.... stupid ass....him and his bright ideas.. "hey lets buy HD600s together!!!..."

i could prob make u a pair, lol
would be canare starquad + f16, so maybe not up to ur standard. lol

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #24 of 384
yea it was awesome! thanks everyone for makin it possible and especially to covenant (jason) for organisin it wudnt have happened if it wasnt for u cheers mate! sadly had to leave early really wanted to listen to the Rs-1z which i didnt see:S..maybe they came after i left lol everything good happens 10 mins after u leave, ah wellz the stax were awesome thank you so much to the guy who brought the huge setup.
Overall my favs were the stock Denon D2000z, the Stax and the pico amp was awesome!
smily_headphones1.gif
this is for the <insertusernamehere> i forget who wanted to know how ultimate ears were made, here it is.

YouTube - Ultimate Ears Customize Part2

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #25 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, whoever I was talking to about that HD25 cable (forget who it was), if you're still up to selling it drop me a PM, i'd be glad to take it off your hands if you can meet me at work sometime over the next week
smily_headphones1.gif

That would be Caution
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkjames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i could prob make u a pair, lol
would be canare starquad + f16, so maybe not up to ur standard. lol

um atm, i dont have a standard.

my ONLY choice is that i DON'T want to be carrying 3metres worth of while around!
smily_headphones1.gif

care to pm me your msn? or even just to chat and stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #26 of 384
I really enjoyed the Triple Fis, I really need to work on my wallet!

I can't believe I forgot the balanced equinox, really special out of the Lavry...Always next time
smily_headphones1.gif

DVSE's stax rig sounded better than last time and some of those portable amps were pretty cool...

I enjoyed the great company, always nice discussing a hobby with fellow minded people!

Good times had by all!

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #27 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismohks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG,

tongue.gif
)

HD600 and impulse buy? Blasphemy! They were one of my favourite, if not the favourite can of the meet, and I'm sure they will be worth it for you in the long run :p, imo they were in a different league compared to the TF10's if that makes you happier :p

Oh zephy I have the '05 edition 880s, I may possible sell them in the coming week or two when I get my HD600's I shall see which one I prefer :] You'll be first priority if I do choose to sell them :p

Oh yea Jason, I'll ask my friend if he needs the cable, if not it's all yours.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #28 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh zephy I have the '05 edition 880s, I may possible sell them in the coming week or two when I get my HD600's I shall see which one I prefer :] You'll be first priority if I do choose to sell them :p

Ack! I don't even have a proper amp to drive them! Don't tempt me to buy!
eek.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #29 of 384
omg, this patrick82 guy is seriously a connoisseur
wink.gif

check out his mad youtube vids :
YouTube - Patrick821's Videos

i recommend the ERS paper videos
wink.gif

i've seen kindergarten kids who have done better sticky taping lolz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back