Fidue A71 Dual Dynamic - Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #211 of 353
  My review posted : http://www.head-fi.org/products/fidue-a71-dual-dynamic-drivers-hi-fi-earphones/reviews/12120

Fair warning - I'm hearing them somewhat different than the early impressions. YMMV - but it is honestly what I hear.

Excellent read as usual Brooko, fantastic review mate...

Moving to JVC FX850. They just on totally different level. It was nice to be the part of this thread. Unsubscribed.

Good for you mate

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #212 of 353
  My review posted : http://www.head-fi.org/products/fidue-a71-dual-dynamic-drivers-hi-fi-earphones/reviews/12120

Fair warning - I'm hearing them somewhat different than the early impressions. YMMV - but it is honestly what I hear.

Yup, obviously different preferences come into play, but that's a really good, thoughtful review.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #213 of 353
  How do these compare to the DGS100? From the user descriptions here, they should sound fairly similar. Anyone who has both?

No comparison.  DGS100 hybrid is mid-bass bloated to the point of overpowering lower mids (an awful bleed).  It completely throws off the balance between bass and mids.  A71 gets it right!  Not even a fair comparison.  Don't rely on sound description unless it's a relative comparison.  I can guarantee that those who find A71 too bassy will toss DGS100 in a garbage after 5 seconds of listening.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #216 of 353

No comparison.  DGS100 hybrid is mid-bass bloated to the point of overpowering lower mids (an awful bleed).  It completely throws off the balance between bass and mids.  A71 gets it right!  Not even a fair comparison.  Don't rely on sound description unless it's a relative comparison.  I can guarantee that those who find A71 too bassy will toss DGS100 in a garbage after 5 seconds of listening.

Yeah, that is what I got from the DGS100 too. I am glad that the A71 are different.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #217 of 353
@twister6, I just re-read your excellent a71 review, and everything you said below really resonates with my impressions as well. Good stuff.

When it comes to a sound, I didn't spend too much time analyzing it out of the box knowing these are dual dynamic drivers that will settle down for sure after 20+ hrs of free air burn in (I never trust my brain burn in during actual listening). Though I started with included narrow bore tips, I quickly realized these contributed to a bit of a high frequency attenuation which I wanted to bring back, and successfully accomplished that by switching to UE900 medium bore tips that opened up sound more with a better balance between low and high frequencies. Sound testing was done straight out of HO of X5 which I found to be sufficient enough to drive A71 without any problem. As a matter of fact, I was able to drive A71 with any source.

The sound signature/tonality of Fidue A71 is a warm balanced sound with emphasis on mid-bass. Starting with a low end, you get a decent sub-bass extension down to a rumbling layer with a rich texture and a fast punchy mid-bass. Sounds like a typical description for a lot of basshead IEMs, except here Fidue was able to pull an amazing balance between sub-bass and mid-bass without turning it into a muddy bloat! I wouldn't call these basshead IEMs, but to my ears they will definitely satisfy anybody with an extra craving for bass! At the same time, there is a little bit of spillage into lower mids, but it's done in a very tasteful way to add full body thickness to midrange.

Mids also have a perfect balance with a bass which is so rare in bass enhanced IEMs where manufacturers like to implement fun v-shaped tuning. Here mids didn't feel recessed at all! They sound very smooth and musical, and with support from lower mids have a full body sound. Vocals are lush and flow smoothly with a natural tonality, and still have plenty of clarity and details!!! Treble doesn't extend as far, but still very clear and smooth, though not as crisp. There is no sign of sibilance and as a matter of fact the sound is perfect for extended non-fatigue listening. I found soundstage to be rather wide and deep, definitely above the average. Also, imaging was excellent but separation was just good where I felt like extra thickness/warmth made a sound to be a bit congested in some of the songs.

With this being a dual dynamic driver design geared more toward an enhanced bass, I couldn't wait to compare it to a few other of my dynamic IEMs. One thing I found in common, A71 made them all sound having a lighter bass and a thinner mids. In particular, VSD3 bass was a little lighter and thinner, and mids sounded thinner/brighter and even harsher in comparison, while treble was crispier with a bit more extension. IM50 felt like it had less sub-bass but a bit faster/stronger mid-bass punch, mids were thinner and more forward, and treble crispier. T1E sounded really pale in comparison where bass was less detailed and even sounding veiled, mids more recessed and less detailed, while treble being similar. B3P1 had a leaner bass with less bloat and more details, but also less quantity, mids sounding thinner and brighter and treble being crispier and more detailed. KC06A had less sub-bass, and mids were thinner and harsher, while treble was more extended.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #218 of 353
So some keywords for these could be:

- warm sounding, bass boost
- punchy and precise bass
- lush bass and mids
- generally clear mids with slight veil
- smooth, relaxed treble, no signs of sibilance
- okay sound-stage
- some details could be masked by the bass
- deep insertion (?)
- average isolation and comfort.(?)

Did I got it right?
Now the description is reminding me of the Sony MH1. Opinions on that?

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #219 of 353
Brooko, your review is outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Mine should arrive sometime this week so I can't wait to see how different they are from my TTPOD T1E and T-PEOS H-150.
As you pointed out they are quite warm and smooth which I'm concerned with but I don't mind EQing, which I'm doing with the H-150 and absolutely love them.... fantastic for bass lovers with very good details and extension once EDed.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #221 of 353

Brooko, your review is outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Mine should arrive sometime this week so I can't wait to see how different they are from my TTPOD T1E and T-PEOS H-150.
As you pointed out they are quite warm and smooth which I'm concerned with but I don't mind EQing, which I'm doing with the H-150 and absolutely love them.... fantastic for bass lovers with very good details and extension once EDed.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #222 of 353
@twister6
, I just re-read your excellent a71 review, and everything you said below really resonates with my impressions as well. Good stuff.

Apology for the multiple posts above. Didn't realize that happened.

I concur with Waynes World, excellent review @twister6. Got mine this morning and after about 10 hours burn-in, I can relate to the reviews and comments. However, for now, I still prefer the T-PEOS H-150. They are extremely similar in signature/tonality but while the A71 seems to focus slightly more on the mid-bass, the H-150 lean towards the sub-bass but with better quantity and quality. Slightly better extension top to bottom, clarity and details seems to be on par though on some tracks the A71 sounds a tiny bit more clear, detailed, and smoother, and the H-150 a bit grainy. For fit, comfort and usability, the H-150 wins. They are so freaking light sometimes I completely forget I have them on. I listen to a lot of dubstep, drum and bass, house, trance and techno.

There is a tour going on by Allan Marcus and CTC Audio if anyone is interested, especially for comparing to the A71 and other dual dynamics.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #223 of 353
Apology for the multiple posts above. Didn't realize that happened.

I concur with Waynes World, excellent review @twister6. Got mine this morning and after about 10 hours burn-in, I can relate to the reviews and comments. However, for now, I still prefer the T-PEOS H-150. They are extremely similar in signature/tonality but while the A71 seems to focus slightly more on the mid-bass, the H-150 lean towards the sub-bass but with better quantity and quality. Slightly better extension top to bottom, clarity and details seems to be on par though on some tracks the A71 sounds a tiny bit more clear, detailed, and smoother, and the H-150 a bit grainy. For fit, comfort and usability, the H-150 wins. They are so freaking light sometimes I completely forget I have them on. I listen to a lot of dubstep, drum and bass, house, trance and techno.

There is a tour going on by Allan Marcus and CTC Audio if anyone is interested, especially for comparing to the A71 and other dual dynamics.

Good stuff. If you prefer wearing iems down, it's quite easy to cut off the memory wire, and then the fit, comfort and usability quotient increases quite a bit with the a71's (at least for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back