Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3,241 of 6,413
May 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #3,242 of 6,413
Quote:

Good God! How did you manage that??

Desperate measures :wink:

I simply put them onto the cable jack for few days to stretch the inner of the nozzle a bit - it was enough to be able to put them on the IEMs nozzle after that :wink:

May 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3,243 of 6,413
So, earlier today I spent more than three hours and a half with Dale and one of his salespeople, Ron. These guys are fantastic, but Dale reminded me why I liked him so much the first time I met him. Just a genuine young man full of knowledge about this hobby and the audio/engineering/sound realm in general. Dale is like a mad scientist who has the capability to break down the most complex and technical aspects of the audio industry so that a non-scientific and non-technical mind such as myself can understand it. I learn so much being around him, and I appreciate him taking the time with me in between the stream of potential clients/customers clamoring to hear his outstanding products.

And to top off the great time I had, Dale allowed me to pick up my custom-made AS-2! Wow is all I could say for like 20 minutes (just on looks along). I left my camera at a friend's house, but as soon as she returns it I'll post photos. Let's see, I have a unique nickel plated faceplate coated with Black Chrome (I hope I described that right Dale ... lol). I asked Dale to come up with something that he thought would mesh with my personality, and he hit the nail on the head. The faceplate has a shot of gunmetal glossy sheen, with a beautiful polished shell. Eye-candy indeed! As for the sound, I didn't get a long time to hear them at the Chicago audio meet and greet, but what I heard was fantastic. It was in the same vein of what I heard with the prototype - with some tweaks I could tell. I'll give more details on the sound after I spend a good amount of time getting reacquainted with the AS-2 again. As I expected, I think thiswill be my favorite IEM again, or at least tied with it. And Dale offered to fix right away any problems I had with sound, fit or quality control, but I couldn't find anything to complain about. 

Thanks again, Dale, for your hospitality. I know you were busy, but you took more time with me than I could have reasonably expected from you, and you didn't make me feel like I was an inconvenience to you (or that my questions were dumb..lol). I'm sure I asked one or two questions that could've easily gotten a "huh?" from you, but you didn't let on if you felt that way. For that I'm grateful. That's fantastic customer service!

I also should say that most of the people who I saw step to Aurisonics' booth made it clear that they were skeptical about in-ear monitors. They said things like IEMs couldn't produce enough bass to their liking to not having enough details in earphones to concerns about comfort. Well, I heard at least two expletives and one "Fantastic!!" from those taking a listen to the Dale's products. I think all were listening to the ASG-2 at the time. One man was negotiating buying a bunch for his band or singing group (I just barely caught exactly who he wanted to buy for). So with my eyes I witnessed the ASG-2 "wowing" people once they had a chance to listen to it. And trust, some seemed skeptical when they stepped up to the booth, but that disappeared after hearing the products. Good job Dale! 
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3,244 of 6,413

Upon entering the Copernicus Center in Chicago, I found myself walking into a small little audio get-together.  Tucked towards the back corner of the room was the little Aurisonics booth with Banana stands holding up the ASG series IEMs: 2s, 1s (revised 1.3), and 1S.  To the right stood the beauties enclosed in their casing.  Between them a showcase of gorgeous, shiny faceplates.

Dale was there helping out a few people who all seemed to be very intrigued and impressed with the ASG-2.  Throughout the hour and half I spent up there you’d see a person step up, skeptical about IEMs.  In general, they all had something in common…  The belief that IEMs couldn’t handle bass properly.  Long story short, after hearing the ASG-2 they left believers.  It seemed that everyone that demoed the 2s liked them quite a bit. 

Since the 2s were being demo’d, I took to the ASG-1S first  They looked absolutely gorgeous in their polished shells.  Upon listening, the tuning was definitely an improvement to the 1.2s.  The midrange proved to be sweeter in contrast.  The new shell design fit wonderfully.  In short, from the 1.2, the bass is more controlled, treble more present, while the upper vocals took a bit more stage.

I had emailed Dale before about my ASG-1.2s.  My measurements found something really odd…  They didn’t measure properly at all (extreme mismatch).  Dale was able to diagnose the problem with a few breaths, literally.  The bass port got clogged with something.

Dale offered to fix the problem for me.  This sort of problem just showed how, on the IEM level, everything is extremely tiny.  Tiny things are extremely sensitive.  A port the size of a human hair getting clogged caused nearly a 10 dB drop in bass. 

The 2s were free now, so I took an audition; bass port set low, but not minimum.  I feel like the 2s are a lot like the Westone W4.  They don’t do anything wrong, they just are enjoyable and a fun to listen to.  Accuracy takes a step back, musicality takes a step forward; they present the music to you in an effortless fashion.  

As expected, Dale wanted to show the effects of the bass port.  The next question came out…  How much do you want it turned up?  Well, I decided to push the IEM to the limits.  

My worst fears diverted, the bass port bumped the sub-bass and maybe a bit of the low bass.  That said, regardless of where the bass port was set, I found the IEM to still sound great technically.

Preference came to mind when talking about peaks.  How there were a few people who didn’t like the spike that was in the original 1s.  He then pointed out that I was one of the ones that liked the original ASG-1 and its spike.  He offered to repair my ASG-1 with that original signature; I could also go the route of the 1.3.  I went ahead and demoed the 1.3.

From the 1S, the differences were minute really.  Dale described the 1.3 as being a little more refined than the 1S.  I want to say I agree with him, but it could be the placebo talking.  Either way, the 1.3 are great IEMs nonetheless.  It’s been a while since I heard the 1.0/1.1, so I elected to go with the 1.3.  I don’t regret that decision.

The conversations  we had took several shifts.  Some of which I can talk about, some I can’t.  Dale knows audio.  He is confident in his knowledge, but does it in a very fun manner.  He’s got lots of experience in the past and lots of plans for the future.  I can’t spoil anything, but the future looks bright and promising.  

I came in around 2 PM that day; a little later than I would have wanted to come in; we can blame traffic for that.  Left around 3:30.  I have to say, the hour and a half flew by quicker than I expected.  Dale is a great guy with a fun personality; approachable and knowledgable. 

Oh yeah, the AS(G)s also come with a case that doesn’t require you to have a personal The Hulk to open now.  No more demonstration videos necessary. 

May 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,245 of 6,413
Quote:

Upon entering the Copernicus Center in Chicago, I found myself walking into a small little audio get-together.  Tucked towards the back corner of the room was the little Aurisonics booth with Banana stands holding up the ASG series IEMs: 2s, 1s (revised 1.3), and 1S.  To the right stood the beauties enclosed in their casing.  Between them a showcase of gorgeous, shiny faceplates.

Dale was there helping out a few people who all seemed to be very intrigued and impressed with the ASG-2.  Throughout the hour and half I spent up there you’d see a person step up, skeptical about IEMs.  In general, they all had something in common…  The belief that IEMs couldn’t handle bass properly.  Long story short, after hearing the ASG-2 they left believers.  It seemed that everyone that demoed the 2s liked them quite a bit. 

Since the 2s were being demo’d, I took to the ASG-1S first  They looked absolutely gorgeous in their polished shells.  Upon listening, the tuning was definitely an improvement to the 1.2s.  The midrange proved to be sweeter in contrast.  The new shell design fit wonderfully.  In short, from the 1.2, the bass is more controlled, treble more present, while the upper vocals took a bit more stage.

I had emailed Dale before about my ASG-1.2s.  My measurements found something really odd…  They didn’t measure properly at all (extreme mismatch).  Dale was able to diagnose the problem with a few breaths, literally.  The bass port got clogged with something.

Dale offered to fix the problem for me.  This sort of problem just showed how, on the IEM level, everything is extremely tiny.  Tiny things are extremely sensitive.  A port the size of a human hair getting clogged caused nearly a 10 dB drop in bass. 

The 2s were free now, so I took an audition; bass port set low, but not minimum.  I feel like the 2s are a lot like the Westone W4.  They don’t do anything wrong, they just are enjoyable and a fun to listen to.  Accuracy takes a step back, musicality takes a step forward; they present the music to you in an effortless fashion.  

As expected, Dale wanted to show the effects of the bass port.  The next question came out…  How much do you want it turned up?  Well, I decided to push the IEM to the limits.  

My worst fears diverted, the bass port bumped the sub-bass and maybe a bit of the low bass.  That said, regardless of where the bass port was set, I found the IEM to still sound great technically.

Preference came to mind when talking about peaks.  How there were a few people who didn’t like the spike that was in the original 1s.  He then pointed out that I was one of the ones that liked the original ASG-1 and its spike.  He offered to repair my ASG-1 with that original signature; I could also go the route of the 1.3.  I went ahead and demoed the 1.3.

From the 1S, the differences were minute really.  Dale described the 1.3 as being a little more refined than the 1S.  I want to say I agree with him, but it could be the placebo talking.  Either way, the 1.3 are great IEMs nonetheless.  It’s been a while since I heard the 1.0/1.1, so I elected to go with the 1.3.  I don’t regret that decision.

The conversations  we had took several shifts.  Some of which I can talk about, some I can’t.  Dale knows audio.  He is confident in his knowledge, but does it in a very fun manner.  He’s got lots of experience in the past and lots of plans for the future.  I can’t spoil anything, but the future looks bright and promising.  

I came in around 2 PM that day; a little later than I would have wanted to come in; we can blame traffic for that.  Left around 3:30.  I have to say, the hour and a half flew by quicker than I expected.  Dale is a great guy with a fun personality; approachable and knowledgable. 

Oh yeah, the AS(G)s also come with a case that doesn’t require you to have a personal The Hulk to open now.  No more demonstration videos necessary. 

I must have just missed you, tinyman392. Interesting that we both have some of the same observations, especially about the reactions of potential customers upon hearing the IEMs. And of course, about Dale's knowledge and personality.

May 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3,246 of 6,413
Quote:

I must have just missed you, tinyman392. Interesting that we both have some of the same observations, especially about the reactions of potential customers upon hearing the IEMs. And of course, about Dale's knowledge and personality.

Dale told me I missed you just as I came in :p 

May 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #3,247 of 6,413
May 10, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3,248 of 6,413
I'm happy to say that I feel like I'm coming to the end game of my ASG-1.3 burn in. I'm going to do another 50h or so. Then do an update to my review. I have to say, I never believed in burn in, but I'm starting to now. I'm 100% confident now after A-Bing with both my A700s and my M-100s that this is the real deal (having never really experienced burn-in that I could confidently call "burn-in"). I am quite frankly dumbfounded. There is certainly some head burn-in at work, but I was going back and forth between these and the M-100s most of all, and they are acting as a guideline mostly for the highs and lows. Since I know its properties pretty well after 2 months of near constant use. 

I have to say that I'm becoming increasingly impressed with the ASG-1.3s.

May 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,249 of 6,413
Quote:
I'm happy to say that I feel like I'm coming to the end game of my ASG-1.3 burn in. I'm going to do another 50h or so. Then do an update to my review. I have to say, I never believed in burn in, but I'm starting to now. I'm 100% confident now after A-Bing with both my A700s and my M-100s that this is the real deal (having never really experienced burn-in that I could confidently call "burn-in"). I am quite frankly dumbfounded. There is certainly some head burn-in at work, but I was going back and forth between these and the M-100s most of all, and they are acting as a guideline mostly for the highs and lows. Since I know its properties pretty well after 2 months of near constant use. 

If you compare with a relatively stable headphone, you do take out the head burn-in element from the game.  You essentially show that it can't be your brain adjusting to a signature (cause when compared directly to another signature, the differences would remain the same).  So you are stuck with driver burn-in or tip break-in.  I've heard the ASG-1.0/1.1 burn-in and the ASG-1.2 burn in.  I feel the 1.3s I have on hand have already run their 250 hours :p  If they haven't, I'm in for a treat :wink:

*I know someone wants to come around and flame me about the tip break-in statement...  If you do decide to, know I have some old Etymotic tips that show that tips do in fact break in... 

May 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,250 of 6,413
Quote:

Glad you're man enough to admit you were wrong. It's definitely something interesting, isn't it? Same thing happened with my AS-1's and man did I love it. 

May 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #3,251 of 6,413
:frowning2: I don't remember too much of a change over time on my asg-1... Though its been so long I probably forgot. Their toe tapping nature makes you forget stuff pretty easily though.

May 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #3,252 of 6,413
Not to take anything away from Aurisonics, but obviously people who have little-to-no prior experience with high-end IEMs will be blown away by the ASG-2 :p

May 10, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #3,253 of 6,413
Quote:

If you compare with a relatively stable headphone, you do take out the head burn-in element from the game.  You essentially show that it can't be your brain adjusting to a signature (cause when compared directly to another signature, the differences would remain the same).  So you are stuck with driver burn-in or tip break-in.  I've heard the ASG-1.0/1.1 burn-in and the ASG-1.2 burn in.  I feel the 1.3s I have on hand have already run their 250 hours :p  If they haven't, I'm in for a treat :wink:

*I know someone wants to come around and flame me about the tip break-in statement...  If you do decide to, know I have some old Etymotic tips that show that tips do in fact break in... 

Yeah, which is why I have been switching between my very stable headphones. I did get used to the sound signature though. For so long I used headphones that were V shaped or otherwise. Never really neutral or midforward. So it did take some getting used to. Have to say I'm enjoying it. And from what I've seen in other reviews and in my initial review, if they sound like ASG-1.2s then they aren't fully burned in yet. It is like they start off as 1.2s and undergo a transformation into 1.3s.

Quote:
Glad you're man enough to admit you were wrong. It's definitely something interesting, isn't it? Same thing happened with my AS-1's and man did I love it. 

Hey, I said if I heard it I'd believe it :wink:. I'm pretty surprised though. Really having heard people hear "miraculous" changes in headphones, I never really bought into it. I wouldn't say that these had a "miracle" change, but in a way they did. If only for the simple fact that I no longer have a huge need to EQ. They are now at the point where they can hold their own with almost any music. I think I may still need to EQ for certain select songs, but otherwise, this might be the first portable headphone I may never ever need to touch the EQ with, which is rather nice.

Quote:
Not to take anything away from Aurisonics, but obviously people who have little-to-no prior experience with high-end IEMs will be blown away by the ASG-2 :p

Well here is the thing, they aren't TOTL. They are rather high end, yes, but they aren't TOTL. They are often compared to TOTL so that is a good thing. I demoed them back to back against the vaulted 1P2s. And felt that the differences weren't enough to warrant a $600-700 price difference. Which is saying a lot. 

Now the TG!334s... That is another story. I think it is the clarity of the fully BA design that did them in. Not only did the TG!334 have comparable soundstage, but its level of detail was something else. They weren't as fun, but they technically sounded better. I'm thinking now I need a pair of BA IEMs for critical listening. I don't think dynamic driver IEMs can match the accuracy of BA. But darn it if I don't love the timbre that dynamic drivers produce. If I can find a BA that can produce a natural timbre I'll be torn to say the least. I'll start on my BA quest after I finish my home set up quest. 

May 10, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3,254 of 6,413
Quote:

Yeah, which is why I have been switching between my very stable headphones. I did get used to the sound signature though. For so long I used headphones that were V shaped or otherwise. Never really neutral or midforward. So it did take some getting used to. Have to say I'm enjoying it. And from what I've seen in other reviews and in my initial review, if they sound like ASG-1.2s then they aren't fully burned in yet. It is like they start off as 1.2s and undergo a transformation into 1.3s.

Hey, I said if I heard it I'd believe it :wink:. I'm pretty surprised though. Really having heard people hear "miraculous" changes in headphones, I never really bought into it. I wouldn't say that these had a "miracle" change, but in a way they did. If only for the simple fact that I no longer have a huge need to EQ. They are now at the point where they can hold their own with almost any music. I think I may still need to EQ for certain select songs, but otherwise, this might be the first portable headphone I may never ever need to touch the EQ with, which is rather nice.

Well here is the thing, they aren't TOTL. They are rather high end, yes, but they aren't TOTL. They are often compared to TOTL so that is a good thing. I demoed them back to back against the vaulted 1P2s. And felt that the differences weren't enough to warrant a $600-700 price difference. Which is saying a lot. 

Now the TG!334s... That is another story. I think it is the clarity of the fully BA design that did them in. Not only did the TG!334 have comparable soundstage, but its level of detail was something else. They weren't as fun, but they technically sounded better. I'm thinking now I need a pair of BA IEMs for critical listening. I don't think dynamic driver IEMs can match the accuracy of BA. But darn it if I don't love the timbre that dynamic drivers produce. If I can find a BA that can produce a natural timbre I'll be torn to say the least. I'll start on my BA quest after I finish my home set up quest. 

The ASG-2s weren't designed really as detail monsters...  They are designed more to be a warm, inviting sound signature that is entirely non-fatiguing.  This sort of signature does have its drawbacks, but very favorable for its inoffensive sound.  So don't expect the ASG-2 to really produce the high detailing that you'd expect from an IEM that was designed for that :p  As for dynamics not being able to be as accurate as a BA, HiFiMan RE272; nuf' said.

May 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,255 of 6,413
Quote:

The ASG-2s weren't designed really as detail monsters...  They are designed more to be a warm, inviting sound signature that is entirely non-fatiguing.  This sort of signature does have its drawbacks, but very favorable for its inoffensive sound.  So don't expect the ASG-2 to really produce the high detailing that you'd expect from an IEM that was designed for that :p  As for dynamics not being able to be as accurate as a BA, HiFiMan RE272; nuf' said.

I know. Which is why I'm on the search for detail monsters! 
etysmile.gif
 The ASG-1.3s (and eventually ASG-2s) filled the hole left by my HJE900s. I might get RE-400s until I can get a high end set of UIEMs or CIEMs to fill that gap of neutral detail oriented IEMs. 

I've heard tales of the great accuracy of the RE272. However, I've also heard that the Heir Tzar 350s are unrivaled in their neutrality and accuracy (even compared to the ER4)... So... I'm going to have an interesting journey. After I save up some money of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back