Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #3,226 of 6,413
Quote:
Interesting interesting. Thanks. Great to read about the comfort too.
The XBA-4 is an odd bird, but I like it for certain things.
That's just the thing, the ASG-1 doesn't do it at all, at least not mine. I don't want an extreme amount but I want some and the crossover less design had me worried becuase it would still have that underlying the sound. I can only describe it as it sounds like the ASG-1 uses a smoother more powerful drive unit with a lower maximum output, similar to a modern turbo diesel car engine for lack of a better comparison. The FX700 for example is at the very other end of that spectrum, more like a quick and high revving V8.

I specifically stated the ASG-1.1...  If I'm not mistaken, you have the 1.2 which, you are absolutely correct, won't do it at all. 

May 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3,227 of 6,413
Chengsta, was a pleasure meeting you as well. Thank you for taking time to come out and take a listen to them. I wished we had more time. Thank you for your kind comments.

In Chicago at Copernicus Center from 10-3 on Thursday if anyone wants to come out and take a listen and ask questions.

If anyone is in our path between Chicago and Nashville tomorrow evening please PM me and we can see if we can arrange a listen and meet.

May 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #3,228 of 6,413
Quote:

I specifically stated the ASG-1.1...  If I'm not mistaken, you have the 1.2 which, you are absolutely correct, won't do it at all. 

1.3 is even more balanced. I'm still burning them in, but they are really starting to show their true colors. I'm not sure how much is brain burn in, but it certainly is becoming less dark, and more balanced. Still has rolled off highs but the midrange is becoming subdued a bit, enough to allow the highs to shine more. 

May 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #3,229 of 6,413
Quote:

1.3 is even more balanced. I'm still burning them in, but they are really starting to show their true colors. I'm not sure how much is brain burn in, but it certainly is becoming less dark, and more balanced. Still has rolled off highs but the midrange is becoming subdued a bit, enough to allow the highs to shine more. 

The signature of the ASG-1 was never balanced.  It was warm and sweet (1.0/1.1), but then turned bass heavy (1.2).  So it's interesting to see that you feel they are more balanced :p 

May 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,230 of 6,413
Quote:
Chengsta, was a pleasure meeting you as well. Thank you for taking time to come out and take a listen to them. I wished we had more time. Thank you for your kind comments.

In Chicago at Copernicus Center from 10-3 on Thursday if anyone wants to come out and take a listen and ask questions.

If anyone is in our path between Chicago and Nashville tomorrow evening please PM me and we can see if we can arrange a listen and meet.

I will see you around 10:30  or 11 a.m. Looking forward to it! 

May 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3,231 of 6,413

Nope 1.1
My fault for lack of clarity.

May 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,232 of 6,413
Quote:
Nope 1.1
My fault for lack of clarity.

Hm...  OK.  Well the 1.1 had a spike around the 1.2 kHz region...  Normal resonance spikes happen around the 2-3 kHz region (which might be what you're looking for). 

May 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #3,233 of 6,413
Quote:

The signature of the ASG-1 was never balanced.  It was warm and sweet (1.0/1.1), but then turned bass heavy (1.2).  So it's interesting to see that you feel they are more balanced :p 

It is still warm, but it is shifting to a more balanced signature. It is almost an inverted U but a very very shallow. When I first put them in I'd describe the FR curve as almost an S curve (but really the bass is probably balanced with the mids in the midbass and sub bass slightly rolled off). Creating a fairly warm but mid forward sig. And the highs rolled off.

Now I realize that the bass is overall balanced, and the mids have pulled back to be less forward but still forward. This makes the highs seem more prominent than they really are. It isn't that they are neutral, because they aren't but they are more balanced from when I first listened, and more balanced from every 1.1/1.2 review that I've seen. 

At this point I'd love to A/B them. They don't seem bad with anything anymore. While when I first listened to them they were different. I won't say radically, but it is different enough for me to take note, and feel they have become more balanced than they were. At the offset I'd say they are exactly like every 1.2 review I've seen. Now they have become 1.3s.

May 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #3,234 of 6,413
Chengsta - your review/thoughts were pretty close to mine, I think, although I'm comparing them to the PFE 232. Classical and Acoustic albums are some of my favorite music to listen to on the AS-2 because I feel like they nail the timbre of the instruments and make the music come alive.  I especially love strings on them because it truly sounds like they are in the same room with me and not on a recording.  I'm really picky about acoustic guitar since I've played (not as well as I'd like...) since about 3rd grade and have one sitting downstairs.  It's always bugged me when it sounds manufactured or altered and I feel like I get the true reverb and ring of the chords.  I really can't wait to get mine back now that I finally have some down time.  Keep in mind I have yet to touch my bass port so I haven't experimented with that at all and don't have any intention of doing so for a while. In that respect, I like the 232's because you can change the filters out which makes more of a difference than I thought it would. We do differ in our final preference as I'm neither a bass or treble head. I do like bass - especially when running - but I cannot stand sibilance or iem's that are tiring.  For me, the 232's hit my borderline every once in a while where I could listen to the AS-2's for hours. 

I think it's really cool/interesting how we each have our own take on the sound, you know?  It's part of what makes this - or any hobby, really - fun. Anyways - appreciate your thoughts and glad you got a chance to hear them.  
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #3,235 of 6,413
Quote:
Chengsta - your review/thoughts were pretty close to mine, I think, although I'm comparing them to the PFE 232. Classical and Acoustic albums are some of my favorite music to listen to on the AS-2 because I feel like they nail the timbre of the instruments and make the music come alive.  I especially love strings on them because it truly sounds like they are in the same room with me and not on a recording.  I'm really picky about acoustic guitar since I've played (not as well as I'd like...) since about 3rd grade and have one sitting downstairs.  It's always bugged me when it sounds manufactured or altered and I feel like I get the true reverb and ring of the chords.  I really can't wait to get mine back now that I finally have some down time.  Keep in mind I have yet to touch my bass port so I haven't experimented with that at all and don't have any intention of doing so for a while. In that respect, I like the 232's because you can change the filters out which makes more of a difference than I thought it would. We do differ in our final preference as I'm neither a bass or treble head. I do like bass - especially when running - but I cannot stand sibilance or iem's that are tiring.  For me, the 232's hit my borderline every once in a while where I could listen to the AS-2's for hours. 

I think it's really cool/interesting how we each have our own take on the sound, you know?  It's part of what makes this - or any hobby, really - fun. Anyways - appreciate your thoughts and glad you got a chance to hear them.  
beerchug.gif

definitely haha.  It's good that we have the same thoughts about the as-2, that just confirms what I heard.  And yes, I believe our preferences are totally different, as the AS-2's are right for you, but just doesn't quite do it for me.  Like I said, it's just too 'realistic' for me, and that I prefer a more colorful (and maybe synthetic) signature.

May 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #3,236 of 6,413
Hm...  OK.  Well the 1.1 had a spike around the 1.2 kHz region...  Normal resonance spikes happen around the 2-3 kHz region (which might be what you're looking for). 

I'll have to look into that. I feel like I'm talking about impulse response rather than resonance because it's across the entire spectrum, but you probably know more about the science end of this than I do. I'm still trying, though not very hard, to figure out the whole phase thing.

May 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #3,237 of 6,413
I'm still trying to secure good seal (waiting for Sony Hybrids to arrive), but what I already don't like is sibilance. I don't know, how much it has to do with the not perfect seal, but if it won't change, I'll probably will have to sell them... That's sad, because I actually like the highs.

It's also hard for me to figure out, what's the sound characteristic of those is. Coming directly from Merlins, they seem to have a very V-shaped presentation. But after some time, they seem quite balanced.

May 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3,238 of 6,413
I'm still trying to secure good seal (waiting for Sony Hybrids to arrive), but what I already don't like is sibilance. I don't know, how much it has to do with the not perfect seal, but if it won't change, I'll probably will have to sell them... That's sad, because I actually like the highs.

It's also hard for me to figure out, what's the sound characteristic of those is. Coming directly from Merlins, they seem to have a very V-shaped presentation. But after some time, they seem quite balanced.

If you mean the ASG-1, then you might have some trouble getting the sony hybrids onto the nozzle. I remember trying without much long term success. I had seal issues with included tips too and I think I ended up with tips off of my ATH-CKM50 which are almost identical to one of the Meelectronics tips, either replacement tips for the M9 or M6 (can't remember which). Hope you have more luck than I did.

May 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #3,239 of 6,413
Quote:
If you mean the ASG-1, then you might have some trouble getting the sony hybrids onto the nozzle. I remember trying without much long term success. I had seal issues with included tips too and I think I ended up with tips off of my ATH-CKM50 which are almost identical to one of the Meelectronics tips, either replacement tips for the M9 or M6 (can't remember which). Hope you have more luck than I did.

No, no, I mean the ASG-2. I got onto them the Shure triple flanges, so I think I will manage it with the Hybrids :wink:

May 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #3,240 of 6,413
Quote:

No, no, I mean the ASG-2. I got onto them the Shure triple flanges, so I think I will manage it with the Hybrids :wink:

Good God! How did you manage that??

If you need insertion depth, look into the extra long single flange tips from the Meelec M11 tip set. To this day, they're my favorite for the ASGs.

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11-bk-mee.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back