Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Dec 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #526 of 3,428
  Hopefully it's not much of a work for them.

Hi again ilm2.

Lukasz has been better than his word and has come back to me already....they are extremely sorry and are going to make an extender adapter that will ship with the amp AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. So good news for all 6080 fans!...
biggrin.gif

ps. Glad you enjoyed my feeble effort, lol!

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #527 of 3,428

Hopefully it's not much of a work for them.

Hi again ilm2.

Lukasz has been better than his word and has come back to me already....they are extremely sorry and are going to make an extender adapter that will ship with the amp AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. So good news for all 6080 fans!...
biggrin.gif

ps. Glad you enjoyed my feeble effort, lol!

That is a great news and hope to see more videos from you.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #528 of 3,428
As I suspected, my unit hasn't had a very long burn-in yet, so I must be patient with my assessments. Have just found out the 6SN7s are the Russian NOS 6H5C version which, although reasonably priced, seem to be getting some good praise elsewhere in our related threads. And we all know how long those Russians need to give of their best!...
wink_face.gif
. So developments are going to be even more interesting than I thought, it would appear...(especially as I have just received the supposed "crème de la crème" of these tubes - the metal-based Melz...
tongue.gif
).

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #529 of 3,428
  As I suspected, my unit hasn't had a very long burn-in yet, so I must be patient with my assessments. Have just found out the 6SN7s are the Russian NOS 6H5C version which, although reasonably priced, seem to be getting some good praise elsewhere in our related threads. And we all know how long those Russians need to give of their best!...
wink_face.gif
. So developments are going to be even more interesting than I thought, it would appear...(especially as I have just received the supposed "crème de la crème" of these tubes - the metal-based Melz...
tongue.gif
).

One of these
atsmile.gif
 paired with the GEC round base is a favourite for listening to my the vinyl rig

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #531 of 3,428
Thanks for taking the time to make the video lots of work im sure .Except for the transformer cover looks like its pretty much the size of the mk4 i was expecting a bigger footprint. I will look up the size of the MK4 .You say they will send you extenders to use with the 6080 tubes but do they plan to widen the holes i measured the tubes and looks like from looking at the pictures the holes need to be atleast 1/4¨ inch bigger for the 6080 tubes to fit with a bit of clearance .Personnally the 6080 tubes i really dont use much anyway .But i would think they will fix this issue in the future All in all i like the tube configuration and the face similar to my  Burson  Conductor simple and a nice big  knob to boot . Looking forward to more impressions later on ,and a look inside if possible. Enjoy .

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #532 of 3,428
I checked the size of the MK4 never expected it to be approx.1 3/4¨inches wider than a MK3.  MK3 is 6 7/8¨wide and MK4 8 5/8 approx. Hmmm...

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #533 of 3,428
  Thanks for taking the time to make the video lots of work im sure .Except for the transformer cover looks like its pretty much the size of the mk4 i was expecting a bigger footprint. I will look up the size of the MK4 .You say they will send you extenders to use with the 6080 tubes but do they plan to widen the holes i measured the tubes and looks like from looking at the pictures the holes need to be atleast 1/4¨ inch bigger for the 6080 tubes to fit with a bit of clearance .Personnally the 6080 tubes i really dont use much anyway .But i would think they will fix this issue in the future All in all i like the tube configuration and the face similar to my  Burson  Conductor simple and a nice big  knob to boot . Looking forward to more impressions later on ,and a look inside if possible. Enjoy .

Hi MIKELAP.

With the sockets in effect much higher, it won't matter about the wider base of the 6080...it should clear the case, no?

My experience with this amp has me recalling your own comparison between the LD and your Woo...the 'difference' and the fuller sound...

I too am loving this neat, understated face panel...everything else too, actually!

As for later impressions...what a difference another 12 hours can make...my previous remarks about finer detail in the upper range I am having to retract already. UNBELIEVABLE. It is in fact now present, and along with better transient response kicking in, the air and space I have come to love is MUCH more apparent. And with that deep bass getting even tighter, I am almost (?!) lost for words. How these modestly priced tubes can be delivering such a sound is rather astounding...especially after the kinds of MUCH more expensive tubes we have been using this past year and more in our LD rolling!  I never imagined the Feliks guys could come up with something that would perform in this way at anywhere near this price point...and the burn-in (not to mention rolling!) has only just started.

Ah well, time for bed...gotta get ready for the weekend marathon...

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #534 of 3,428
Just subbed to this thread. Found it a bit late but looks like I found it just at the right time seen as you have just received the first model. Looks very fancy and am looking forward to more impressions from you and others who purchase successive models. I'm very curious to how it sounds compared to the La Figaro 339 as mine new was $580 which is in roughly the same ball park as the Elise though I guess I will have to wait for that :D.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #536 of 3,428
and i tot Hynos is a college kid....
messing with soldering irons, blowtorches.. hehe.

manicured fingernails...ticked....
manicured garden....ticked,
tidy living room...ticked...
great demeanor, composed voice..ticked
Flying colors for a first vid !!

ok......i need to know the width of this blackmetal amp.
i am short on real estate to the left of my armchair.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #537 of 3,428
A big thanks to all for your kind comments...much appreciated - by me AND the Feliks guys. We got there in the end, lol!

Lorspeaker  -  College kid? I wish!...Can hardly even remember my college days..
redface.gif
...except that life seemed much simpler then, aaahh...(If you can wait, the garden will look MUCH better in the Spring - especially when the Rhodos are all out!).
                       As for the amp's dimensions, they are  :  197mm W; 280mm D; 72mm H (the front panel being 60mm).

A11  -  Yes, not as large a footprint as thought...but big enough!... "Nicely proportioned" I would like to say.

sgbwill2  -  Glad you've found us...better late than never!
wink.gif
. All I can say is you must have had a good bit of luck getting the LF 339 for that kind of money - they're $659 (old version) on ebay.com, which means more like $790 (or more) with average taxes. So for us in the EU, there's NO contest. And for you guys out West, you would have the added taxes etc. on the extra $160 over and above the $499 Elise (but I appreciate you will have shipping to add, if the LF's is free). So not really the same ball park, methinks!

synthax  -  Will ask Lukasz for recommended impedance range, but would suspect 32 to 600ohm.

Back to first impressions, and although it is still relatively early days I feel I must add to my previous comments after more burn-in. I am now in fact experiencing some very mixed emotions - this amp (still with stock tubes) is now delivering more than the LD with power tubes that alone would now cost more than the Elise, driven by $100 worth of C3GSs. So my head is going in all sorts of directions at the moment - amazement/joy/exhilaration, but also sadness - at the fact that after a year of experimenting with numerous tubes/adapter making/external power supply provision/MONEY! and occasional (costly) disaster, along comes this upstart and blows it all right out of the water...I don't know whether to hug Lukasz or kick him!! (Which of course means I would have to kick myself, lol!)...Deep breath...I'll KISS him after all 
o2smile.gif
...as I write this I have some of my favourite music filling my head, and I never thought after hearing it hundreds of times already that I would be stopped in my tracks...enough said...

As this post is long enough already I shall go into more specifics later (had better pay a bit more attention to the good lady before I'm in the dog house - again!).

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #538 of 3,428
sgbwill2  -  Glad you've found us...better late than never!
wink.gif
. All I can say is you must have had a good bit of luck getting the LF 339 for that kind of money - they're $659 (old version) on ebay.com, which means more like $790 (or more) with average taxes. So for us in the EU, there's NO contest. And for you guys out West, you would have the added taxes etc. on the extra $160 over and above the $499 Elise (but I appreciate you will have shipping to add, if the LF's is free). So not really the same ball park, methinks!

I live in the UK and luckily never got taxed due to me requesting them to value the item and ship it at a price low enough not to be taxed by customs. And on top of that the shipping was free which is crazy seen as the amp weighs around 10kg. And the $570 price was because it was on offer at the time but seems like that has ended now. A steal in my opinion considering how amazing this amp is; even for $659 I would say it is a bargain :).

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #539 of 3,428
Well, there is no boutique parts (cables, antivibration pads, granite slabs etc...) that could bring as big sound quality improvement to some audio gear than simple good solid engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back