Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Apr 28, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #9,856 of 13,846
  Hint: This dragon breaths a ball of fire every 15 minutes from 10 - 7.

Where is this fire breathing dragon. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #9,858 of 13,846
Hi Guys,

Just added a 5 TB HDD to my existing digital space, this thing won't last long either.

The thing came in like, packed within 5 shopping bags, bubble wrap, newspapers, 3 boxes, and original sealed packaging. I mean, WTH. This is called, packing for the WWIII 
biggrin.gif

Elise would love another black box seated next to it LOL

Adios lucky ones!!!
LR

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #9,859 of 13,846
Put my Ember amp up for sale, now that Elise is shipping. Sitting here in the hospital, wife is having an EGD again. This week so far we have been with the medical field for over 10 hours. Should another 3 hours for today. I need a stiff dŕink, no vodka or scotch available here.

OH... I'm sorry to hear about your wife.  I hope everything is OK.  Our thoughts are with you.

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #9,860 of 13,846
Wife is doing okay, they decided she was too high a risk for surgery, so after all that time in prep, talked with all involved and it was decided to cancel.  She feels relieved as they were not sure she would come out of the anestesia ( we need a spell checker or younger people here!) think I murdered that one.  Have heard from several of the members here in PM's and I want to thank all in public for their kind words and for caring. Told the wife about it, and she thinks it is wonderful to have such people in my life, as do I.  She thinks this is more than a hobby or pastime. So seeing an opening, I asked about the McIntosh and she laughed and said if I really wanted it to go ahead and get it, but make sure to get an extension cable so I can use it out in the shed, where I will be living if I do.  I tried!

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #9,861 of 13,846
Wife is doing okay, they decided she was too high a risk for surgery, so after all that time in prep, talked with all involved and it was decided to cancel.  She feels relieved as they were not sure she would come out of the anestesia ( we need a spell checker or younger people here!) think I murdered that one.  Have heard from several of the members here in PM's and I want to thank all in public for their kind words and for caring. Told the wife about it, and she thinks it is wonderful to have such people in my life, as do I.  She thinks this is more than a hobby or pastime. So seeing an opening, I asked about the McIntosh and she laughed and said if I really wanted it to go ahead and get it, but make sure to get an extension cable so I can use it out in the shed, where I will be living if I do.  I tried!

It's so good to hear she's OK!

I don't know CF shed + Mc = bliss...

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #9,862 of 13,846
I think when winter hit, I would want to sell it, but until then...........

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #9,864 of 13,846
Sounds good, but she will probably pull the plug on the extension cord in the middle of the night , just for the fun of it!

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #9,865 of 13,846
Something to relax you   

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #9,866 of 13,846
Great realization! Yes it truly does seem this is more than a hobby. I feel as if some of you Elise members are my true friends... on that note just gotta mention that I'd love to hang around here more often, but time has been a rare commodity for me lately. I've been knee deep with R&D for my home business, but when time permits I can catch up more here.

I also wanted to mention what has been THE MOST EXTRAVAGANT EXPERIENCE of hi-fi home-audio of my entire life. Listening to a lossless copy of the album "That's the way of the world" by Eath, Wind & Fire early this morning with my Elise tube combo mentioned here. I was instantly transported to the this lively, vibrant scene full of passion and realism as vivid and powerful as one could possibly imagine without actually being there. It's gotta be the 2nd best audiophile experience of my life, trailing not too far behind the rare multi-thousand dollar summit-fi Sony MDR-R10 headphone rig I heard last year at Can Jam.

It's so amazing, an album mastered this great that was made before I was born and didn't even know about it until now... talk about perfect analogue,@PerfectAnalog you should like this one! It's the best demonstration of what the Elise is capable of I have found yet, and I would highly recommend anybody who doesn't have this album yet to get it, and you can see what the Elise can really do!

"That's the way of the world" by Eath, Wind & Fire - lossless copies or used versions should be available everywhere. It's the ultimate I've heard so far with this amp!

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #9,869 of 13,846
  The Visseaux, Fivre and Mazda 6N7G are very old tubes just like the 1942 Philips Miniwatts FDD20 that I have. Mine did have some crackles and pops initially. It's like an old dinosaur coming alive. I have no hum and distortions though. Once fully burned in and in combination with Tung Sol 5998 or 6AS7G, they are dynamite.

Seriously, several of my old tubes seemed to need time to wake up, and protested in the beginning by making noises - crackling, ticks, and pops. Sometimes the pins needed a little scrubbing as well, but all of them behaved after a while.

Hint: This dragon breaths a ball of fire every 15 minutes from 10 - 7.

I know all about noises, crackling, pops and ticks from dozens of tubes bought for this and previous headphone amps and my hybrid speaker amplifier. With 6N7G and Elise, it's something different that plagues the output. It's heavy distortion that kicks in when turning up the volume at anything above 'low'. Like what you would get trying to get a wall of sound from your smartphone. I think the origin of this distortion must be more complex, and here is why. When combined with EL3N as powers, none of these tubes (I have 10 6N7g's/6A6 in total...) ever showed this distortion, even right from the NOS/NIB box. Still, you are both right it could be a burn-in effect of the tubes themselves. Maybe some electrical parameters need to 'settle' - and as long as that is not the case, the combination with regular powers doesn't work because of a mismatch. It's already a miracle that so many combo's DO work so well in Elise. I'm not an expert, but it's unlikely that they all just happen to operate at or near the optimal working points (of voltages, of bias, etc) with the fixed values that Elise provides. Maybe the 6N7G is 'just off' initially and shifts into the 'this works well' region when properly burned in. Or it's some burn in of parts in Elise that do the same thing. In that case, all 6N7G combo's should work now - will try. (Sorry, long again. You all know small kids have this 'but why' phase they go through. I never got passed that phase 
bigsmile_face.gif
)

* UPDATE * Put in Fivre 6N7GT - these had very little play time so far - and they distort. So you are right guys - it's the 6N7G tube itself that needs the burn in. Come to think of it - I used the Visseaux's with EL3N for a while because that did work without distortion from the start. Those hours with EL3N of course helped the burn in of the Visseaux! So it makes sense it 'suddenly' works with 5998 too. The whole experiments to me is proof that tube burn in is VERY real. Not just to cure pops etc, but also to bring a tube 'on spec'. There are many disbelievers of burn in with respect to sound quality, including that of tubes. Guess with a tube run at it's optimal operating points, it's hard to discern a burn in effect but with these Visseaux in Elise, it seems very easy.

Whatever, I'm relieved the joybringers now work. I truly feel like a lucky one
wink_face.gif
  I recognize the forward character but it's funky and makes the non-audiophile stuff sound like magic. Next to try:  FDD20! Hope to make the adapters today.

Thanks to all of you pioneers who brought all these nice tube to our attention.

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #9,870 of 13,846

I know all about noises, crackling, pops and ticks from dozens of tubes bought for this and previous headphone amps and my hybrid speaker amplifier. With 6N7G and Elise, it's something different that plagues the output. It's heavy distortion that kicks in when turning up the volume at anything above 'low'. Like what you would get trying to get a wall of sound from your smartphone. I think the origin of this distortion must be more complex, and here is why. When combined with EL3N as powers, none of these tubes (I have 10 6N7g's/6A6 in total...) ever showed this distortion, even right from the NOS/NIB box. Still, you are both right it could be a burn-in effect of the tubes themselves. Maybe some electrical parameters need to 'settle' - and as long as that is not the case, the combination with regular powers doesn't work because of a mismatch. It's already a miracle that so many combo's DO work so well in Elise. I'm not an expert, but it's unlikely that they all just happen to operate at or near the optimal working points (of voltages, of bias, etc) with the fixed values that Elise provides. Maybe the 6N7G is 'just off' initially and shifts into the 'this works well' region when properly burned in. Or it's some burn in of parts in Elise that do the same thing. In that case, all 6N7G combo's should work now - will try. (Sorry, long again. You all know small kids have this 'but why' phase they go through. I never got passed that phase 
bigsmile_face.gif
)

* UPDATE * Put in Fivre 6N7GT - these had very little play time so far - and they distort. So you are right guys - it's the 6N7G tube itself that needs the burn in. Come to think of it - I used the Visseaux's with EL3N for a while because that did work without distortion from the start. Those hours with EL3N of course helped the burn in of the Visseaux! So it makes sense it 'suddenly' works with 5998 too. The whole experiments to me is proof that tube burn in is VERY real. Not just to cure pops etc, but also to bring a tube 'on spec'. There are many disbelievers of burn in with respect to sound quality, including that of tubes. Guess with a tube run at it's optimal operating points, it's hard to discern a burn in effect but with these Visseaux in Elise, it seems very easy.

Whatever, I'm relieved the joybringers now work. I truly feel like a lucky one
wink_face.gif
  I recognize the forward character but it's funky and makes the non-audiophile stuff sound like magic. Next to try:  FDD20! Hope to make the adapters today.

Thanks to all of you pioneers who brought all these nice tube to our attention.

Glad your tubes are settling down nicely...you'll have plenty of good combos to play with now, lol!...another wonderful feature of Elise!...
biggrin.gif
...Can't wait to hear your impressions of the FDD20...

Now, on the subject of non-stock tubes settling in, I have for a long while now suspected there's a little man hiding inside our amps just waiting to see what we keep trying to put in her. After the initial shock/shriek, he sprinkles his 'magic dust' and all is well...most times, that is!!
wink_face.gif
...And I'm beginning to feel REAL sorry for the poor guy - I, and many others, haven't given him a moment's peace...but somehow, he just keeps coming back for more...BLESS HIM!!...and Feliks-Audio...
L3000.gif

beerchug.gif

Hey @connieflyer...mixed blessings re. your wife's (non-)anaesthesia - we all just hope alternative treatment does the trick. Best wishes to you both....CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back