Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Apr 18, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #9,511 of 13,846

Hi WB,

I'm French and using amazon.co.uk is the cheaper way for European customer to get the X20 and have customs paid by the distributor and not the final customer. Even if you have to pay bank fee for £/€ change final price is ~750€ or 579 £ if you live in UK !

If you get the Elise, you also have to wait at least a week to 10 day before you get a burned device. EL3N also need long time before singing.
I hope you will share also your impression on DAC and X20+Elise pairing. (if you can also listen TotalDAC with heaphone this could be great
wink.gif

I should have said also that I like neutral and natural sound, and do not listen too much electronic music or even modern studio album (i cannot stand reverb, vocoder, dumkit, loops....).
The comparison with both DAC and Elise bringed me to system synergy as we have to deal with "speaker" sets. Elise pairs well with many headphone but for me the magic is with the T1 and X20 pushed details transparency and natural presentation to another level. INHO, you start to enjoy the music when you stop to listen your headphone, your DAC, your tube and this is exactly at this point that synergy is important.

Hi one thing I forgot to ask you, did you replace the circuit breaker with a high end one, preferably gold instead of rhodium. Should cost 30Euros and is the first thing to do for the X20. Seems the circuit breaker is a bottle neck.

Cheers
WB

i have heard this before about rhodium-coated contacts sounding bad ... and i am just as guilty as anyone else concerning parroting this 'info' ... but did you actually get a chance to try this as a blind-test comparo?  before anyone gets in a snit about sound-sciences, this is just an actual query and nothing else is implied.

LR, when you write text above the quote box ---  & if someone else wants to quote you, then nothing shows up ... as per this example.

you wrote: "Yessir, it's a Utopia system. I did not get in touch with them, I am pretty sure they would have done the same with me, make me feel guilty haha

I have plans to get rid of Focal from my life, there is a lot of it but I will slowly transition, this is inevitable after this 2nd time."

if you think  treat their customers with a wave of their hand, look at how they treated their usa distributor; let's call them bill & bob -- again, this goes back more than 2 decades.  for many years, these 2 guys travelled the usa, demo-ing the spkrs & building up a hard-earned cadre of dealers.  then came the big c.e.s. & they said you guys set it up and we'll be there too.  after the first nite of the show, they had an end of day pow-wow where they informed bill & bob that they were out and thank you but we'll build a new co. now to distribute in the usa.  no buyout, no compensation ... sayonara.     so you want to be in hi-end audio biz? ... assume the position!

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #9,512 of 13,846
btw, forgot to add that kostas metaxas was the first person to play tori amos in usa.  he had an autographed copy from the cd release party in melbourne that was held a wk before vegas c.e.s.   the cd wasn't released in north america or europe at the time; tori was an unknown entity.  & by the end of the show, autographed cd was ... gone ... snatched by a vegas low-life.

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #9,513 of 13,846
I'm sure by the next Vegas CES, with the impending reviews from new owners, Elise will no longer be an unknown entity. 

Elise sounds really really good with these headphones. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #9,517 of 13,846
Originally Posted by Lord Raven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yessir, it's a Utopia system. I did not get in touch with them, I am pretty sure they would have done the same with me, make me feel guilty haha

I have plans to get rid of Focal from my life, there is a lot of it but I will slowly transition, this is inevitable after this 2nd time.

Thanks once again!!!!

LR

You need to get rid of the Focals from your life and replace it with Dynaudios. Your ears will thank you for it. Besides your body will move with the music as you drive. 

Like this

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #9,518 of 13,846
Finally made up my mind on headphones, I really liked the Beyer T1 version 1, but after the left driver started to sound muddy, read other reviews with the same problem, got refund from Amazon, toss up between Beyer T1 ver 2 and Senn 800 original, after exhaustive reading decided to stay with the Sennheiser sound. Price on new Beyer and Senn was about the same so will know in awhile if I did good or keep the Senn 700's wait for Elise and then see how things shake out.  Thanks to those who offered advice on this.  If I had just a littttttllllle bit more cash would have got both.  Retirement is not conducive to over spending.......

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #9,520 of 13,846
  Finally made up my mind on headphones, I really liked the Beyer T1 version 1, but after the left driver started to sound muddy, read other reviews with the same problem, got refund from Amazon, toss up between Beyer T1 ver 2 and Senn 800 original, after exhaustive reading decided to stay with the Sennheiser sound. Price on new Beyer and Senn was about the same so will know in awhile if I did good or keep the Senn 700's wait for Elise and then see how things shake out.  Thanks to those who offered advice on this.  If I had just a littttttllllle bit more cash would have got both.  Retirement is not conducive to over spending.......

You can't go wrong. You are joining the Elise club which entitles you to a truly amazing amp and membership in the best thread on HeadFi )))

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #9,521 of 13,846
Hi WB2016,

My Elise is used almost exclusively as a preamp with great results. As far as I know, JV plays records when using his Elise.

Did not quite understand what you wrote about burn in times for the amp and tubes, but the Elise needs around 150 hours, and some of the tubes I use (EL3N) need maybe 400 hours.

A long time ago I used to buy more expensive equipment, but I have now come to the conclusion that you can get excellent sound with carefully chosen budget priced components and tubes.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #9,524 of 13,846

There were quite a few who bought at the introductory price of $499, including mordy. 
etysmile.gif
biggrin.gif
 Then it went to $649 and now $699.

A lot cheaper than it is now.

Do you still feel that its a good amp at the current price of $700?  For me with shipping it would end up around $800, still a good deal? 

Another question is what is the output impedance of the Elise?  I couldn't find it on the Feliks site.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #9,525 of 13,846
Hi one thing I forgot to ask you, did you replace the circuit breaker with a high end one, preferably gold instead of rhodium. Should cost 30Euros and is the first thing to do for the X20. Seems the circuit breaker is a bottle neck.

Cheers
WB

I burned the X20 full stock !
After I just changed to have non "fuse" plain copper. 
evil_smiley.gif

I did not changed the Elise fuse (but think it is a bit over sized). I use gold fuse on my Magnepan (Medium/High) protection.

About burning, I used a looping / ramdom playlist with many bitrate format 44.1/48 multiples and DSD, some pink noise, and lot of piano and organ music, intimist pop or a capela song. This is how my dealer do burning for demo dac.

Probably Tube output or R2R with many resistor needs a physical stress during burning, IMHO it is less important for X20.

I'm not a bass boost/expand lover (probably why i do not think the 5998 is the best tube wirh EL3N) with Elise.

I do not use the Elise as a preamp as I'm listening with headphone not at the same place of my main speaker system....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back