Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Aug 1, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #572 of 11,833
Hi everyone,

I do notice that a lot of space on the Elise forum is devoted to headphones. Even though I do not listen so much through headphones/earbuds, there are occasions when I do.

The headphones usually mentioned here are more on the expensive side. My question is if I could find earbuds (or headphones) that sound quite good on a much smaller budget than the Sennheiser and Beryerdynamic top offerings.

I do have the Venture Electronics Monk earbuds which are quite good, especially considering the very low price, but I am wondering of people have recommendations for items that may sound considerably better on a low budget.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #575 of 11,833
  Good choice ! Love both videos. Smoke 'n' Mirrors is very good. Love Lee Ritenour. One of my fav musicians. 

Alright the verdict. Been listening to this song on Tidal Hifi, Spotify Premium with NAD d1050 and an album version on LP. Both Tidal and the LP sounded very good. Hard to pick a winner. Surprisingly the Spotify Premium version isn't too bad but it's not quite as good as the other 2. All listening done with T1 and modded HD650.

Sylvania 6SN7gtb Chrome Top and Tung Sol 5998 is a very good sounding tube combination on Elise. Check it out.

UT: I think this combination is pretty hard to beat. I came close here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/10995#post_12615560

But the Sylvania drivers are clearly better that the TS GTBs. This is "end game" territory.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #576 of 11,833

Is this getting better PCT?

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #578 of 11,833
  Is this getting better PCT?

Better???? This is real MUSIC direct from heaven 
smile.gif
 Well done CF ))))

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #580 of 11,833
Hi DavidA,

The less the better re price, but they have to sound very good. Obviously, I am looking for sleepers.....

Hi UT,

A long time ago, I bought a Headroom Max Home headphone amp and a set of Sennheiser HD600, but I was never happy with this combination. This was long before I got into tubes though.

With these headphones I felt that everything was there, but it lacked life - must have been the ss headphone amp, even though it was supposed to be state of the art then.

Remember the Sennheiser HD 414? I think I bought them in the early 70's.

3114.jpg

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #582 of 11,833
@mordy, my recommendation of cheap good sounding headphones:
Sennheiser HD-239, $52 (out of Fiio X3 this sounds better than a HD-650 to me from same)
used like-new Momentum on-ear, $54 to $100 (I've given away 6 of these but got them when they were $48-54 each)
if you can do some DIY then a used SR-225i ($75-100) modded with dynamat and sorbothane will get you almost to a RS2e ($495) level, and in some ways actually sound better

Hope this gives you some help
D

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #583 of 11,833
This is old news, but I still use my modded KOSS KSC-75's at work, straight out of the Sony nwz-a17 DAP's headphone jack and it's really, highly recommended. Super cheap to buy super cheap to mod and sound very very good.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/124243/kramer-mod-ksc75

I did the parts-express headband and removal of the ear baffle, replaced with screening (like you have on the outside of your home windows). Have enough screen left to do about another 7 or 8000 pair of KSC-75's :)

:cool:

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #585 of 11,833
Hi JV,

Happen to have a pair of Koss Porta-Pro - are these very different?

I love Porta-Pros too :)

KSC-75 are less bassy than Porta Pros. But are similar you probably hate the headband on Porta Pros?

Buy these and pop in the porta pro drivers:

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-mini-stereo-lightweight-headphones-with-4-ft-cord--240-015

That is what I did for the 75's.

I never plug these into Elise, just straight out of DAP's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back