Favorite Piano Piece...
Oct 25, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 58
Rachmaninoff's Piano Concertos No. 2 and 3. Chesky Records. Earl Wild, pianist.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WTC...food for the soul. After listening exclusively to Gould and Tureck I recently got Hewitt's recording. I have to say I'm mighty impressed with it.

Hewitt's Bach is very, very special. But I think her playing is something that one has to come to fairly late, in the sense that a good understanding of the pieces and other interpretations is a pre-requisite. Otherwise it sounds like she isn't doing much. To me her playing is as close to perfect as possible.

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #22 of 58
A thought occurred to me. I never asked you all about your experience with the piano. State how many years with and/or without a teacher. Go ahead and say your favorite piece to play as well.

I have played the piano with a teacher for 16 years and my favorite piano piece to play would be a ragtime by the name of "Dizzy Fingers" by Zez Confry.

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A thought occurred to me. I never asked you all about your experience with the piano. State how many years with and/or without a teacher. Go ahead and say your favorite piece to play as well.

I have played the piano with a teacher for 16 years and my favorite piano piece to play would be a ragtime by the name of "Dizzy Fingers" by Zez Confry.

Been playing between 10 and 11 years so far. Favourite pieces: the Gershwin Preludes, some Kabalevsky concerto (60 pages long, don't remember what it sounded like but it was pretty epic
tongue.gif
)

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #25 of 58
Beethoven - "Pathetique" Sonata

And.. just for fun:

Beethoven - "Rondo a capriccio" (Rage over a lost Penny)

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bach-Goldberg variations
and
Beethoven-Moonlight Sonata

had to give moonlight sonata another vote.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #29 of 58
Kind of amazed that there's no hardcore jazz yet:

Thelonious Monk - "Functional"

Morton Feldman - "Triadic Memories" (Roger Woodward is the pianist on the best recording I've heard of the piece)

Bill Evans - Portrait In Jazz

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #30 of 58
I don't really see that the Well-Tempered Clavier can be considered as a single piece (or for that matter a "piano piece"), but obviously it's a great collection, and I'd stand Keith Jarrett's recording up against Hewitt's.

Speaking of Jarrett, the piece that sprang to mind on reading the thread title was his recording of the double fugue (Fugue no. 4) in E minor from Shostakovich's Preludes & Fugues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back