Favorite mastering engineers?
Feb 16, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by sbulack
On Rebecca Pidgeon's "The Raven": Bob Katz, it is.
I agree with the higher recording quality of this work
above other Chesky recordings. Thank you Bob!

Definitely I'll get that book by Katz, that CD sounds really great. "The Raven" is one of my favorite test and vocal CD's, and needless to say, Rebecca Pidgeon's voice sounds just out of this world beautiful in that CD.

Feb 17, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

mark-obert thorn for NAXOS, amongst others

And don't forget Ward Marston either.

Another vote for Bob Ludwig as well. Way back when, I worked in the same building that Masterdisk was located in when Bob Ludwig was still with them.

Feb 17, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 33
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rsaavedr
Did he make Rebecca Pidgeon's "The Raven"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually Katz did. He also had some excellent recording work on Badi Assad under the Chesky label.

Happy listening,
W

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 33
I am surprised no one has mentioned Stan Ricker. He was responsible for the half-speed mastering of most if not all of the Telarc audiophile series LPs and also many of the original Mobile Fidelity half-speed mastered LPs. Stan worked at the JVC cutting center in Los Angeles.

Although retired, I understand he has recently been coaxed back to work mastering some of the latest LP reissues.

He usually inscribed his initials, "S.R.", on the run out area of the lacquer. This was of course pressed into each final record. If you own any of these LPs, look for Stan's initials.

Feb 29, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
The legendary Alan Parsons of Abbey Road Studios for EMI.

Another vote here for Bob Ludwig. His Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry remasters are really fantastic.

OH YEAH!!!! Alan Parsons is the Man!
280smile.gif

I saw him with his band in 1998, when he was on tour with YES. Being a fan since "Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe", it was a dream come true.

And of course, "Dark Side of the Moon", where he was an engineer in the studio.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 33
*sorry for reviving this thread, but i can't resist

i looovve eddie kramer masterings esp. the band of gypsys. very pleasing to the ear. shaping the sound of 60s to 70s rock.

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #24 of 33
Kevin Grey. He remasters and cuts; he works a lot with Steve Hoffman. Meet Kevin Gray

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #27 of 33
Bob Katz, Ted Jensen (I'll forgive him the Metallica debacle, I believe he received the mixes brickwall'd - he has done fantastic work in the past). Bob Ludwig ofcourse, Danny Purcell, Chris Blair etc. etc. etc.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 33
Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray, Bob Katz, Ted Jensen, Bob Ludwig, Alan Yoshida and Bernie Grundman.

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray, Bob Katz, Ted Jensen, Bob Ludwig, Alan Yoshida and Bernie Grundman.

What he said...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back