FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
May 8, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #1,966 of 2,017
Our first community update can now be read here!

Thanks for the update, Sebastien!

Awesome to see that you guys will be at all the CanJams. Going to definitely be going to the SoCal one this year so excited to meet the Fatfreq team there.

May 9, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #1,967 of 2,017
Thanks for the update, Sebastien!

Awesome to see that you guys will be at all the CanJams. Going to definitely be going to the SoCal one this year so excited to meet the Fatfreq team there.

Look forward to seeing you there. SoCal is my favorite show outside of Singapore and always a great time.

May 10, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #1,968 of 2,017
Hey guys

Just wanted to put little update of my new Fiio k9 AKM dac/amp with scarlet mini, fiio got solid burn in now so i can say something.

Well i tought that scatlet cannot get any better then was on my previous fiio k7 + fiio pl50 power supply.
Then magic happend :) out of the box fiio k9 akm was "mmm not bad but should be better" (2x price of k7 + pl 50)

I listend few tracks on scarlet then switched as pre amp (dac) for my stereo amp, after 30h~ i switched on scarlet.
Difference was BIG between out of the box vs 30h of playing.

Bass on scarlet is EVEN better now XD it has warm signature and little longer decay which i like BUT still very well controlled, k9 akm got better mid bass control on scarlet so i dont need cut 80-150 hz range (on k7 was too muddy) but dynamics and punch is there ! :)

Mostly im suprised on mid range and treeble, those are very little details but i started to hear new sounds that i didint heard on k7 in my tracks.
Trance and synthwave sounds so smooth and delicious damn :)

It's incredible how scarlet are tuned, with good tips, cable and dac/amp u eat cookie and have cookie :floatsmile:
Of course if u compare it to other IEM-s mid and treeble are kinda far back in scarlet but with the gear i have it's almost holy grail for basshead/EDM listener :sunglasses:

If i want full basshead mode im using final typ E tips, but if i want little less dynamics but more mids and treeble im using zeos render tips. (zeos have more sub bass but less punch and dynamics then type E but are more "musical")

For 530 Usd Fiio k9 AKM is BEAST !! (i payed like 750 usd because i dont live in US, still beast !)

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,969 of 2,017
Hey guys,

What's the current favorite portable sources? I am very happy with my Hiby RS6 but am looking for an upgrade to my Go Blu/BTR7.

Are there any recent options that have come out and are killing the game for synergy with FatFreq stuff? Looking for bluetooth hires and wanted to try something new.

I have a set of Go Pods as well.

Thanks for your advice on what to try out!

-Se

May 10, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,970 of 2,017
Hey guys,

What's the current favorite portable sources? I am very happy with my Hiby RS6 but am looking for an upgrade to my Go Blu/BTR7.

Are there any recent options that have come out and are killing the game for synergy with FatFreq stuff? Looking for bluetooth hires and wanted to try something new.

I have a set of Go Pods as well.

Thanks for your advice on what to try out!

-Se
I used the Quloos MUB1, drives everything like a champ (apparently even Storm). Great battery life, filters that actually make audible differences, etc.

May 10, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #1,971 of 2,017
I used the Quloos MUB1, drives everything like a champ (apparently even Storm). Great battery life, filters that actually make audible differences, etc.

MUB1 on the list. I hit up @SoundJedi because apparently everyone else is out of stock!

May 10, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #1,972 of 2,017
GM pairs great with mu dc elite but waiting for questyle cma18 to compare, I guess it will only get better

May 10, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #1,973 of 2,017
GM pairs great with mu dc elite but waiting for questyle cma18 to compare, I guess it will only get better

@SoundJedi told me the Questyle is more neutral than the MU1 and the MU1 is overall a better choice for FF stuff.

Look forward to your thoughts on the CMA when you get it.

May 10, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #1,974 of 2,017
@SoundJedi told me the Questyle is more neutral than the MU1 and the MU1 is overall a better choice for FF stuff.

Look forward to your thoughts on the CMA when you get it.
I haven't used the CMA18 myself but there are 2 reasons why I never felt the need to try the CMA18 over my MUB1:

1) MUB1 is cheaper.
2) MUB1 has a screen that shows all your settings (CMA18 looks like I need a PhD to decipher)

May 10, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #1,975 of 2,017
Look forward to seeing you there. SoCal is my favorite show outside of Singapore and always a great time.

I got to make it out to SoCal. Unfortunately I can’t this year so I’m aiming for 2025 as my first CJ. I’d love to chop it up with you guys in person and of course listen to the whole FF lineup.

May 10, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #1,976 of 2,017
I haven't used the CMA18 myself but there are 2 reasons why I never felt the need to try the CMA18 over my MUB1:

1) MUB1 is cheaper.
2) MUB1 has a screen that shows all your settings (CMA18 looks like I need a PhD to decipher)

I didn’t even think about this. MUB it definitely is!

May 11, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #1,978 of 2,017
So today I went down the FatFreq shop and had a go with the scarlet mini. TLDR, I bought one in the spot and to get it real soon haha. Too excited didn’t take picture.

So my aim was trying out scarlet mini and not because of being a bass head, but the opposite which is to listen to some of vocal tracks but at lower volume and still retain bass impact and texture.

So I ran the Scarlett mini with my Shanling M9+. This to me is my current flagship of flagship dap, I enjoy its sound more then other daps I tried so far.

My very first impression with two of my vocal track is it’s surprisingly very good. Now those tracks have light bass and if listened at low volume for most iem, there’s close to none. So with the Scarlett it was kinda just nice, adding some excitement to other wise mainly vocal tracks with good clarity. I’m sure my volume then is probably 70-75db average as with my normal listening standards. During the very first session, after comparison with my u12t, i am very sure the mids and treble are pretty ok, while the bass especially the sub region is boosted like mad. At low volume and none bass heavy track, you can still hear the the impact and bass while the mids are still relatively detailed and vocals are clean. But the moment you jack the volume higher, even in none bass heavy track, the bass will start muddling the mids. In bass heavy tracks, unless at really low volumes which will make your mids tiny, the sub bass will likely muddle your mids.

But I’m a believer of tips, so for this audition I bought some of the better tips I had. Divinus velvet, Electech Baroque, Earrbond EBT SS, Spin Fit Omni.

Of this 4 the best was the Baroque. It reduces the sub bass alittle, slightly boost the impact and makes it really clean with no muddling of mids even at higher volume. For those that want a little brighter and more tamed bass, the EBT SS actually makes the Scarlett into a more normal sounding IEM with energetic sound and retaining good amount of bass energy and impact with lesser muddling of mids. Velvet to me was a not so great combination, the bass and creeps into the mids and make it sound alittle too smooth and alittle mushed for my liking.

I cross compared (aka calibrate my ears) with my u12T and after all the test above I got the Scarlett with the default cable since I have too many cables at home today which I can roll later.

Will do a proper review on my channel and more tip rolling outcomes in the future once I receive it

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #1,980 of 2,017
I’m going to piggyback off the portable sources question and ask what DAPs are you guys running to power the Scarlet Mini? I’m running the Fiio M11S and curious to know if that’s enough or if I need to upgrade.

You should be fine. I'm using the FiiO M11 to run my Scarlets, has plenty of power IMO. Plus they sound great on the FiiO.

20240424_111331.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back