FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
May 16, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #1,996 of 2,043
Good looking cable! I can't tell from their site, but do you choose what type of material is used? For example, OFC, SPC, etc?

Thanks, I'm really loving it. When I ordered any of my cables from Hart that wasn't an option I saw. I'm not sure what cabling is used, but I've owned several Hart Audio cables and all of them have sounded great to me. James, the owner is a really good dude and I'm sure if you sent him an email he'd let you know exactly what he's using and if there is an option for choosing your type.

May 19, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #1,997 of 2,043
May 19, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #1,998 of 2,043
I wont be satisfied until I own a Maestro Mini. A bit of a stretch for me at the moment as I just got into this hobby and am still having internal dialogue battles over how to justify $600 headphones. However, I know myself well enough that within the next 12 months I will own some.

Annndddd I got one!

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpeg
    IMG_1747.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
May 22, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #1,999 of 2,043
Bought another FatFreq just last week and its the Maestro SE.

I think this is the better IEM compared to the Grand Maestro, which felt like a jack of all trades whiles Maestro had that bass and sparkly highs with a elevated high mids type of clear bright sound signature. It fills in the gap for the IEMs I already have and is probably my current 1st/2nd place IEM.

BTW if you bought a FatFreq IEM (first hand owner), the second set should have a discount if you approach the staff and ask.

May 22, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #2,000 of 2,043
Bought another FatFreq just last week and its the Maestro SE.

I think this is the better IEM compared to the Grand Maestro, which felt like a jack of all trades whiles Maestro had that bass and sparkly highs with a elevated high mids type of clear bright sound signature. It fills in the gap for the IEMs I already have and is probably my current 1st/2nd place IEM.

BTW if you bought a FatFreq IEM (first hand owner), the second set should have a discount if you approach the staff and ask.

I felt the MSE didn't have enough treble sparkle for me compared to the GM, and also the MSE had too much bass that veiled the upper mids (while female vocals on the GM still shine through), but all of this is of course just preferences and library. I would take the MSE over the GM if I listened mostly to hip-hop, RnB, male vocals, low-end genres, etc. Enjoy the MSE :)

May 22, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #2,001 of 2,043
I felt the MSE didn't have enough treble sparkle for me compared to the GM, and also the MSE had too much bass that veiled the upper mids (while female vocals on the GM still shine through), but all of this is of course just preferences and library. I would take the MSE over the GM if I listened mostly to hip-hop, RnB, male vocals, low-end genres, etc. Enjoy the MSE :)
Yeah it also depends on fitting and tips too. The issue for me with the GM is to get the mids and treble will require me to switch from bass mode to the mids mode. That mode lost the excitement of what it means to be a fatfreq for me haha. Then the bass mode lost way too much high end energy to me. I was real close to getting a GM since the discount plus multiple IEM signature in one do sound very appealing to me haha

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #2,002 of 2,043
Yeah it also depends on fitting and tips too. The issue for me with the GM is to get the mids and treble will require me to switch from bass mode to the mids mode. That mode lost the excitement of what it means to be a fatfreq for me haha. Then the bass mode lost way too much high end energy to me. I was real close to getting a GM since the discount plus multiple IEM signature in one do sound very appealing to me haha
I actually didn't need to use the vocal switch to get the mids/treble. Those already shine through the bass mode. I supposed its due to fitting, because mine is CIEM, so the sound is consistent with what Fatfreq intended, whereas if you used the Universal, the tips and insertion depth will determine the mids/treble :) I almost never use the vocal mode, I almost exclusively use bass mode hehe.

Based on memory of the Uni, I think my CIEM sounds "brighter" (more vocals and treble), while bass is still deep and refined but maybe not as bombastic as the Uni (this is of course referring only to bass mode).

May 22, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #2,003 of 2,043
I actually didn't need to use the vocal switch to get the mids/treble. Those already shine through the bass mode. I supposed its due to fitting, because mine is CIEM, so the sound is consistent with what Fatfreq intended, whereas if you used the Universal, the tips and insertion depth will determine the mids/treble :) I almost never use the vocal mode, I almost exclusively use bass mode hehe.

Based on memory of the Uni, I think my CIEM sounds "brighter" (more vocals and treble), while bass is still deep and refined but maybe not as bombastic as the Uni (this is of course referring only to bass mode).
That is very likely since customs do sit quite deep versus the universals. But customs are real tricky to audition since no tips is quite the same

May 22, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #2,004 of 2,043
That is very likely since customs do sit quite deep versus the universals. But customs are real tricky to audition since no tips is quite the same
The weird thing about my ear canals is that the Uni GM actually sits slightly deeper than my customs (with certain tips) :sweat_smile:

May 22, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #2,005 of 2,043
The weird thing about my ear canals is that the Uni GM actually sits slightly deeper than my customs (with certain tips) :sweat_smile:

Haha! For me I have to use the smallest tip to even sit in my ear properly with sealing.

May 22, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #2,006 of 2,043
For me the GM is correctly tuned MSE, and MSE is more for piercing treble-heads, if such thing would exist :D Instead of noticing the bass, I first notice the needle poking me in the ear and then I notice ok sub-bass. On cheaper sources on some electronic music tracks it was like needle in the ear. I was surprised I liked it more with jazz and acoustic music instead of electronic. On the cma18 it is smoothed out correctly though.
But basically GM is perfect tuning for my taste with blue module, nicely rumbling and still heavy hitting but balanced without vocal switch. So far the best bass I had in iem. On the other side, nothing else special about it but really good overall, keeping it as my favorite so far.

May 22, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #2,007 of 2,043
For me the GM is correctly tuned MSE, and MSE is more for piercing treble-heads, if such thing would exist :D Instead of noticing the bass, I first notice the needle poking me in the ear and then I notice ok sub-bass. On cheaper sources on some electronic music tracks it was like needle in the ear. I was surprised I liked it more with jazz and acoustic music instead of electronic. On the cma18 it is smoothed out correctly though.
But basically GM is perfect tuning for my taste with blue module, nicely rumbling and still heavy hitting but balanced without vocal switch. So far the best bass I had in iem. On the other side, nothing else special about it but really good overall, keeping it as my favorite so far.

"Nothing else special about it"

Definitely see your point there, its basically a balanced, well-tuned, great tech, U/V shaped IEM, subbass mids treble done right. No particular "magic sauce" other than doing everything damn well.

But lets wait till the prototype modules come out; lets see what the FatFreq team manage to engineer :):beerchug:

May 22, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #2,008 of 2,043
"Nothing else special about it"

Definitely see your point there, its basically a balanced, well-tuned, great tech, U/V shaped IEM, subbass mids treble done right. No particular "magic sauce" other than doing everything damn well.

But lets wait till the prototype modules come out; lets see what the FatFreq team manage to engineer :):beerchug:
Exactly, like the safest tuning of them all with excellent hard hitting low end, one line review :D

May 22, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #2,009 of 2,043
Exactly, like the safest tuning of them all with excellent hard hitting low end, one line review :D
Hahha interesting one liner. I do agree it’s safe tuning but for this price range safe tuning isn’t enough!

I did roll quite tips though after getting the MSE. With the divinus velvet it was to me just nice. I did also roll some tip for the GM, but I can’t get anything that excites me over what I had haha.

Maybe that’s why GM didn’t click with me. Normal wasn’t what I’m aiming since I have other iem that does it.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #2,010 of 2,043
Yeah I can also agree that it is too safe for the price, but overall good used buy I think. Maybe too much for new but this hoby is like that many times :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back