FatFreq Grand Maestro
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #211 of 252
I listened to the GM at CanJam vs the Volür. I would be happy with the GM but would keep the Volür. Which is good because I'd have had to sell the Volür at a loss to finance the GM. Which I would have done. Either way they are both great IEMs and it's just subjective personal preference. I liked the bass and mids better on the 64 audio. I thought the switch on the GM was a cool idea, but the mids were a bit too 'quiet' with it off and too much with it on. That was just with 20 min though. Ultimately I'd rather have both and really enjoy them each before deciding. But that's in a perfect world 🤷

So the "slightly recessed mids on the GM" issue (which many people here seem to share), I actually oddly enough don't have that issue.

I'm running the GM off the MUB1 and using the upgraded FF GPS cable, Black module vocal off.

I actually perceive the GM to simply be neutral with bass boost 😂 I wouldn't even consider it V/U shape. Maybe W or L shape. But on some songs I still do find vocals a little more forward than neutral. Female vocals, in particular, still seem to take center stage. Perhaps male vocals might sound a teeny bit recessed compared to female vocals, but I listen mostly to female vocals anyways.

But I suspect this is due to the way my ears are. To give some examples, the Elysian Diva and Anni 23 had vocals that were too forward for me, like they were in my face and suffocating me. EE Odin and Kinera Loki were so shouty I nearly died. Storm has incredible mids but I must say it's still too thick for me. I also own the Monarch MK2 and while many find it neutral, I do consider it a slightly inverted-V shape. So it might just be my hearing that's either not picking up subbass and treble well, or just more sensitive to mids. I did run a sine sweep multiple times and I noticed sensitivity around 500hz-750hz, and somewhere around 1.5khz-2.5khz, so perhaps this is why the GM's vocals come across perfect for me. And why I never found the Z1R mids to be offensively recessed.

Obviously, everyone's ears/hearing is different, so YMMV

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #212 of 252
One thing I can say the GM is great desktop iem - it is amazing on my feliks euforia, never heard such an extension and rumbling. I first started with black module and thought that my teeth will fall off :D It was more L shape sound. When I switched to blue module it is exactly how I like it to be, present hitting hard and rumbling but balanced with everything else.
When I plug it into DC Elite I guess it doesn't have the correct amount of curent to drive it properly, it just sounds ok-ish when compared to desktop chain. So definitely needs correct source to shine.

Agreed, a great source gives great extension on both ends, tightens the midbass, and allows mids the shine. The GM mids are not an issue at all!

Depending on sources/cable, I find that the midbass can get out of control and bloat over the mids (unfortunately Eletech Raphael did this for me, making music too thick for my liking). I only have MUB1 as dac/amp so can't A/B with anything else, but my first demo experience with GM was with the Q5k and the mids then were definitely not as balanced as on the MUB1.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #213 of 252
Not ready to buy, but what I was always wondering: Will the blue module be available in other colours too?
I personally would hate the idea "ruining" the aesthetics of a custom IEM because I am "forced" to use a blue module if I want a specific sound
Unlikely the blue module would be offered in another color. Because of the tuning aspect of each module that could become confusing.
You could ask FF directly if they would do a one off in a different colour for a Custom set. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #214 of 252
So the "slightly recessed mids on the GM" issue (which many people here seem to share), I actually oddly enough don't have that issue.

I'm running the GM off the MUB1 and using the upgraded FF GPS cable, Black module vocal off.

I actually perceive the GM to simply be neutral with bass boost 😂 I wouldn't even consider it V/U shape. Maybe W or L shape. But on some songs I still do find vocals a little more forward than neutral. Female vocals, in particular, still seem to take center stage. Perhaps male vocals might sound a teeny bit recessed compared to female vocals, but I listen mostly to female vocals anyways.

But I suspect this is due to the way my ears are. To give some examples, the Elysian Diva and Anni 23 had vocals that were too forward for me, like they were in my face and suffocating me. EE Odin and Kinera Loki were so shouty I nearly died. Storm has incredible mids but I must say it's still too thick for me. I also own the Monarch MK2 and while many find it neutral, I do consider it a slightly inverted-V shape. So it might just be my hearing that's either not picking up subbass and treble well, or just more sensitive to mids. I did run a sine sweep multiple times and I noticed sensitivity around 500hz-750hz, and somewhere around 1.5khz-2.5khz, so perhaps this is why the GM's vocals come across perfect for me. And why I never found the Z1R mids to be offensively recessed.

Obviously, everyone's ears/hearing is different, so YMMV
Interesting post. I’m very much aware we all hear differently, but your post drives home how intricate those differences can be.
I’m sensitive to energetic mids. Agree that GM mids don’t sound recessed to me, and in fact quite prominent with blue module and switch forward. (Bearing in mind CIEM can sound different than UIEM, but I didn’t find the UIEM mids lacking either)
Agree the Odin was very much mids forward and elevated. But I don’t find Loki over bearing in the mids.
Of course, source, cable, tips, etc. factor in.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #215 of 252
Interesting post. I’m very much aware we all hear differently, but your post drives home how intricate those differences can be.
I’m sensitive to energetic mids. Agree that GM mids don’t sound recessed to me, and in fact quite prominent with blue module and switch forward. (Bearing in mind CIEM can sound different than UIEM, but I didn’t find the UIEM mids lacking either)
Agree the Odin was very much mids forward and elevated. But I don’t find Loki over bearing in the mids.
Of course, source, cable, tips, etc. factor in.
I'm too afraid to try the blue module vocal on, given that I already find female vocals on black vocal-off to be prominent already 😂

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #216 of 252
For me the vocals on both moduls with switched off vocal switch sound neigther recessed nor forward. I actually find the whole frequency pretty much "safe" or normal if I can call it like that. I would never guess the iem big price if I didn't hear the magical low end ofcourse. Probably combination of source and all elements in the chain.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #218 of 252
For me the vocals on both moduls with switched off vocal switch sound neigther recessed nor forward. I actually find the whole frequency pretty much "safe" or normal if I can call it like that. I would never guess the iem big price if I didn't hear the magical low end ofcourse. Probably combination of source and all elements in the chain.
Agree, I can listen to all tunings without having to pull them out of my ears.
But definitely brighter and more detailed with blue modules and vocal switch forward for me.
Source does factor.
It’s a great IEM, with options 👍🏻👍🏻

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #219 of 252
After almost 4.5 months, my CIEM Grand Maestro has finally arrived! Here are some unboxing pics.

I'll refrain from reviewing it until my ears adapt to the CIEM mould/sound (this is also my first CIEM) so I'll probably write something up next month (or never, if the Grand Maestro distracts me too much!)

Here's a one-liner review:
They sound incredible.
Heiiiii yours looks cool! From the last picture you sent here i thought it was ok. It is beautiful! Congrats for your GM. Enjoy it!

Regarding Volur if you are into engaging sound profile i dont think Volur is a great idea. I have tried Volur twice. I tried to like it but i just cant. For me it was too normal boring even, I didnt like u12t too. i notice people who love 64audio sound profile love it to death. Especially after you have tried/ demo other iem releases this year / the end of last year like annihilator, raven, feiwan,etc. Volur is for those who want laid back listen but i think it was too laid back. GM bass is still one of a kind and switch up with black module is still my favorite for vocals. For those who said GM vocals was too forward, i dont think so. If you have tried the most popular IEM right now Annihilator, now that is forward. I think switch up with GM is still neutral bass boosted. Disclaimer this is just my experience and opinion its ok to be different. Also people just grew up/got used to different iems with different tonality. Before purchase always demo especially in this price range and above.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #220 of 252
Heiiiii yours looks cool! From the last picture you sent here i thought it was ok. It is beautiful! Congrats for your GM. Enjoy it!
Thanks! Yes it looks much better than I expected; Fatfreq did an amazing job!

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #221 of 252
Thanks! Yes it looks much better than I expected; Fatfreq did an amazing job!
How is the upgrade cable performance? I got 2 cables from Fatfreq and i have to be honest they dont perform well. It was the normal black cable and the upgrade cable was silver cable. By the look of it the Gold cable look far better than what i got. But it is understandable because mine was the 1st generation GM they might not think about appearance at first.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #222 of 252
How is the upgrade cable performance? I got 2 cables from Fatfreq and i have to be honest they dont perform well. It was the normal black cable and the upgrade cable was silver cable. By the look of it the Gold cable look far better than what i got. But it is understandable because mine was the 1st generation GM they might not think about appearance at first.
Sonically, the upgraded GPS cable sounds amazing. I have only tried it against the Eletech Raphael (which many GM users here seem to recommend). I prefer the GPS to the Raphael, and here's why:

The Raphael thickens the mids and blooms the bass. Some may like it but not me. I prefer my female vocals to sound slightly thin and ethereal, but the Raphael does the opposite. The bass bloom ends up sounding a little like bloat and less controlled. Raphael also tames the treble a little (which some might prefer due to GM's air) but I actually prefer GM to sound brighter.

The GPS cable, on the other hand, is sonically amazing. It does the opposite of Raphael. There is better sense of dynamics. Midbass is better controlled. Mids are less thick. Treble extends much better, and upper mids is prominent.

Many users prefer a lusher, thicker, warmer sounding mids with smoother highs, thus why Raphael is highly recommended here for GM - if u do a search... but I prefer the GPS cable.

Ergo-wise, the Raphael wins easily. But the GPS cable isn't bad at all. Its erogonically sufficient for me :)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #223 of 252
The blue module is so underrated (at least, it was underrated by me). Listening to it now, the GM reminds me of the Z1R. Still good bass extension, but cleaner sounding, allowing vocals and treble air to shine through with sparkling clarity. Bass has more perceived texture too. Wow.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #224 of 252
The blue module is so underrated (at least, it was underrated by me). Listening to it now, the GM reminds me of the Z1R. Still good bass extension, but cleaner sounding, allowing vocals and treble air to shine through with sparkling clarity. Bass has more perceived texture too. Wow.
Exactly how I hear it too.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #225 of 252
Yes, i have the same experience. I used the blue module for classical sometimes they give more airs for instruments for my taste. This iem definitely 4 iems with different tuning put into one. Amazing isnt it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back