Fasting
May 26, 2005 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Headphoneus Supremus
I was trying to research the science behind this, but mostly I got preaching and/or weight loss pill sites, and diet plan (i.e. Atkins) sites.

I was reading the Atkins thread a second ago and couldn't help but wonder if there's any doctors (or just general knowledgable types) here that know the cost/benefit analysis of fasting. I'm thinking the ideal is to make sure to get plenty of water and juice, preferable something with more than just sugars (i.e. carrot juice), and some meat too, something low-carb low fat, like canned tuna (so your body doesn't eat your muscles
eek.gif
)

Was wondering if this could become a longterm or scheduled (i.e. once a week, or once a month) sort of deal.

Many people say "fasting is horrible it kills you man!" but i was under the impression that many respected spiritual leaders of other countries fast regularly, so....
confused.gif

Yep. That's all. bye.

EDIT: Oh yknow i should probably mention that i'm on medication for Bipolar disorder, Seroquel Depakote Lexapro and Buspar. wodnering if any of those have interesting reactions with fasting.

May 26, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 40
I seem to be replying to all your threads today
tongue.gif
Anyway, about fasting...I fast every once in a while for two main reasons:
First, it is the best means of detoxing the body. Especially good is a complete fast, where you only consume warm to hot water to which you add various spices which enhance digestion, and thus "burn away" toxins, such as ginger, cardamom, black pepper etc. I also use other herbs which clean you out.
Second, is for spiritual reasons. I meditate, and fasting creates a sense of lightness in body and clarity in mind, and makes it much easier to reach deep states.

A fast definitely means no meat (!) or dairy or grains. If you cannot do without eating for a whole day, then eat fruits only. A juice fast where you drink non-acidic fruit juice, such as grape juice or apple juice is very good. And a little muscle loss won't kill ya
wink.gif
- it will do far more good than harm. BTW, I am a physician.

May 26, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 40
Mmmmmm me loves ginger.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Second, is for spiritual reasons. I meditate, and fasting creates a sense of lightness in body and clarity in mind, and makes it much easier to reach deep states.

This can be explained scientifically, funny enough. Now that you mention it I remember reading that the pineal gland gets activated during a fast, and the pineal gland amongst other things pretty much makes you high
tongue.gif

why is no meat so important? very very lean meats would be quite healthy, i assumed, for their important amino acids and protein content.

so you dont support the idea of carrot juice? darn i like carrots
biggrin.gif

Quote:

And a little muscle loss won't kill ya
wink.gif
- it will do far more good than harm.

how so?

May 26, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
This can be explained scientifically, funny enough. Now that you mention it I remember reading that the pineal gland gets activated during a fast, and the pineal gland amongst other things pretty much makes you high
tongue.gif

Yes, that's correct. So it's a synergistic effect, actually, because meditation also activates the pineal gland (refered to as the third eye in spiritual terms)

Quote:

why is no meat so important? very very lean meats would be quite healthy, i assumed, for their important amino acids and protein content.

Because it is completely counterintuitive to the whole idea of fasting. It defeats the purpose. Fasting is done to give the GI system a "rest", and only light, easily digestible foods such as fruit should be consumed. Meat is heavy, not easily digested, and creates further toxins.

Quote:

how so?

What I meant is that the many benefits of fasting far outweigh any possible ill effects (and there are none, except for some muscle loss, which can be made good the next day by consuming protein-rich food, preferably milk, cottage cheese etc). Occasionally doing a complete fast can give you a headache if you're not used to it, or if your body undergoes a cleansing reaction.

Carrot juice is fine. Green tea is better than black because it's unfermented, and "cleaner" to drink when fasting. Otherwise I'm a big fan of Indian Chai (spiced black tea with milk and sugar)
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 40
I think i'll try to stick with just green tea, then "graduate" (heh) to juices or whole fruits if my body can't take just tea all day.

I prefer to do more than just water because then i feel i'm "eating" something if that makes sense. i am slightly hypoglycemic so if i just have water i feel a bit.... "off kilter"

what would you suggest, any brands of green tea you know of to be good? I liked Tazo last time I had it. might try to find some ginger tea, i swear i saw some once.

I like chai too, there's this pre-bottled type of Soy chai i really like
biggrin.gif

What's the longest period of time you could safely fast for?

May 26, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Sduibek,

Why are you thinking of fasting?

spiritual/personal reasons, which i can explain if you request.

also i am looking to lose weight and exersize is not doing much. my medication SEVERELY altered my metabolism and it's killing me with weight gain. i've gained 70 pounds. granted i've been eating like s__t, but that's the meds too. carb cravings. but i'm beginning to have control over my carb cravings, and now i want control over my body too. i want to find what amount of calories i can eat per day and not gain any weight, once i get back down to 130. i love being skinny, being a fatty causes so many negatives in all aspects of my life. if i skip just one meal i feel instantly better, ignoring the minor jaw-clenching and nervous energy reaction from my central nervous system
wink.gif
but that's common for hypoglycemics, even if i eat well. just happens sometimes. so i learn to ignore it.

May 26, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 40
I've wanted for a while to try fasting one day a week on a regular basis. Several people have told me "it's a bad idea, it kills your metabolism, blah blah blah." I don't have any real problem dealing with the hunger and have gone entire days in the past on just water. A lot of times I'll get a nasty headache though, and I've found that at that point, even eating something won't make it go away. Not sure if it's because the lack of food throws my blood sugar out of whack or what exactly.

I really like green tea in general. Plain is good but somewhat bitter, Lipton has a nice green tea with orange, passionfruit, and jasmine as well. Drinking green tea usually has a nice calming effect on me. I hear silver/white tea is the best but I've never had it.

May 26, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 40
after a while of fasting, eating actually makes me sick. i cant finish this quart of tea i just brewed, my stomach just doesnt want it. i usually quaff that much liquid in seconds.

i think i'm in a great position here, because i'm on Depakote which is used to prevent migraines. so hopefully i won't get any headaches
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

I think i'll try to stick with just green tea, then "graduate" (heh) to juices or whole fruits if my body can't take just tea all day.

I prefer to do more than just water because then i feel i'm "eating" something if that makes sense. i am slightly hypoglycemic so if i just have water i feel a bit.... "off kilter"

what would you suggest, any brands of green tea you know of to be good? I liked Tazo last time I had it. might try to find some ginger tea, i swear i saw some once.

I like chai too, there's this pre-bottled type of Soy chai i really like
biggrin.gif

What's the longest period of time you could safely fast for?

If you're predisposed to being hypoglycemic, then it's not a bad idea to supplement with a little fruit juice diluted with spring water (grape is good since it has a high glycemic index). Don't punish yourself - start slow and easy.

Fasting one day a week is good enough for most of us, but if you can learn to "go beyond" the demands of the body, 3 days is excellent, especially in combination with Yoga or meditation or Tai-chi type practices. You really do reach a very peaceful state of mind
smily_headphones1.gif
Otherwise, it's possible to fast for extended periods, but beyond a point your brain function starts declining because the body starts using ketones for fuel; Gandhi once did a 21-day fast.

I like the teas that this company makes. Very high quality ingredients, and delicious. Try the Gingko, or Raspberry Ginger or the various Green teas they sell. You can find them at your local Whole Foods Market.

May 26, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 40
If you think you will lose weight by fasting - think again.

What you will lose is muscle mass and not the fat. The fat will be stored because the body anticipates a long spell without sufficient nutrition.

I come from India...land of fasting
rolleyes.gif
and I dont recommend it at all. If you want to get spiritual - go hit some Ganja and listen to Pink Floyd
wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
If you want to get spiritual - go hit some Ganja and listen to Pink Floyd
wink.gif

I'll bring the Pink Floyd
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back