Fake Senheiser IE800?
May 7, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #166 of 454
So...  Out of pure curiosity, I purchased a pair of "DIY IE800 Headphones" from a well-known Chinese online site.  The photos in the listing showed what looks like Sennheiser IE800s with the retail box, cables, and everything looking like they were from Sennheiser, but the Sennheiser logo and name were all blocked out in the photos.  The headphones were just under $40 for the version in retail packaging and under $20 for just the headphones and cable in a generic bulk package.  I ordered the retail package.  

What arrived has Sennheiser all over it -- down to the authentication code that resolved correctly on the Sennheiser website but with a warning that the code had been used many, many times and was probably from a counterfeit item.

I was initially blown away by the sound from the headphones considering the $40 price tag.  These fake sennheisers sounded pretty good...  However, when I put my Shure SE400s back on, it was clear there's a reason why I'm willing to pay hundreds of dollars for quality headphones from a reputable vendor.  The fake IE800s just did not have the clarity that my authentic SE400s with the custom shells have -- the sound was pleasant enough listening to pop rock, but it was muddled enough that I couldn't detect that sharp clangs of the cymbals or the crisp sounds of individual guitar picks like I could with my authentic SE400s.

The fakes were worth the $20 price-tag for the non-retail packaging -- they're better than the over-priced replacement in-ear buds that Apple sells.  But they're no where near a good pair of audiophile headphones.

I'll post some photos once I get permission to attach photos to my posts.

May 7, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #167 of 454
I bought a Tennmak IE800 some time ago for $30. Even at medium volume I had rattling sound in one year. And the signature was waay off. Unusable. Asked for half the money back. Dunno, maybe others get them better.

May 7, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #168 of 454
  So...  Out of pure curiosity, I purchased a pair of "DIY IE800 Headphones".............
I was initially blown away by the sound from the headphones considering the $40 price tag.  These fake sennheisers sounded pretty good...  However, when I put my Shure SE400s back on, it was clear there's a reason why I'm willing to pay hundreds of dollars for quality headphones from a reputable vendor.  The fake IE800s just did not have the clarity that my authentic SE400s with the custom shells ................

May it just be the difference between the Senns and Shures...have you heard an authentic IE800?....... comparing mine I was pretty hard pressed to hear any difference if any with the authorized ones.(keep in mind this was short term listening and from an ipod(mp3@192kbps) into a Bryston headphone amp.)
Regardless... I'm still amazed at what these diminutive phones are capable of, as I mentioned earlier base is excellent and equal to my LCD-2.2s having body and impact while remaining tight and sound-stage/depth/layering is very close to my HD700s..overall balance and tonality is excellent.

May 7, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #169 of 454
Rob80b,
you may be right -- it may just be a difference between sennheisers and shures and that I'm probably just so used to my shures.

If these counterfeiters would just design their own shells and put their own brand on the thing, they'd probably do well selling their products legitimately. The ones I received do sound very good for the price.

May 7, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #170 of 454
Rob80b,

If these counterfeiters would just design their own shells and put their own brand on the thing, they'd probably do well selling their products legitimately.

They do, at least some of them... but we have no way of ever knowing if some of these very good sounding copies are using real Sennheiser parts....and that's a problem...

May 9, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #171 of 454
I just bought a fake ie800 complete with all accessories and comes with an identical box for 40$, I'll receive it by next week and compare it to my current IEM's/headphones.
I'm still probably gonna buy an authentic one soon

May 9, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #172 of 454
  I just bought a fake ie800 complete with all accessories and comes with an identical box for 40$, I'll receive it by next week and compare it to my current IEM's/headphones.
I'm still probably gonna buy an authentic one soon

Let us know...mine perform much better than my Sennheiser Momentum  IEs and compete quite admirably against my full size cans.
redface.gif

May 9, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #174 of 454
  Is this tread a wind up?

Good question....I'm actually overall a bit perplexed as I mentioned awhile back...curbing my curiosity on all this talk about Chinese copies by actual buying one
redface.gif
to compare for myself for a ridiculously low price..relatively speaking...... only to find it’s actually IMHO very good and I do not have to say for the price.
And here I have a new pair of Sennheiser HD800Ss on the way…which one pays a ridiculously high price relatively speaking….
frown.gif

May 9, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #175 of 454
Tell me there is no such thing as a fake HD800S :mad:

May 10, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #177 of 454
Got the refund for fake IE800 moments ago. Everything ended up well. Was surprised to see in seller' feedback one new positive feedback for IE800. Gave him neutral, just for balance.

May 10, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #178 of 454
Am aware that these IE800 copies fall short of the real thing but would like to know has anyone purchased any DIY IE800 that actually sounds very good or reasonably close to the real thing? If so which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back