eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Sep 30, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #31 of 2,970
The Sun box is very classy. I have some of those....back in Australia.
frown.gif

I'll definitely be building this when it's available, as I have to give back my borrowed 007t.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #32 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Pabbi1

are you getting any hum with this setup?

Pabbi1 may have missed this post. I can only say that so far he has not reported any hum or noise.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #33 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pabbi1 may have missed this post. I can only say that so far he has not reported any hum or noise.

Thanx! Just curious with the Transfos kinda close.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #34 of 2,970
There are some very cheap 4-gang stepped attenuators on ebay which would fit this nicely. They all use the same old, cheap 23 step switch but some use Vishay resistors for about 30$.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That adjustable bias makes me think that those panel led meters will be very handy ..dB

eBayISAPI.dll

This could work if the meters have a very high input impedance. Otherwise the bias voltage will drop and you won't get an accurate reading.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #37 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Pabbi1

are you getting any hum with this setup?

Absolutely zero. The Triads are mechanically noisy, and have gromets underneath to isolate this, but absolutely none comes through the amp, at least not that I can hear. But, isolated mounts will be required with the (really cheap) Triads.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #39 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great work! It's sort cool that we have two additions to the uber-high-end and now two additions to the low-end electrostatic amplifier family after such a long time of no new designs
smily_headphones1.gif

T2, SS eXStata, Tube eXStata, whats the second uber high-end DIY design? (Assuming your not talking about the KGSS or BH)

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #40 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely zero. The Triads are mechanically noisy, and have gromets underneath to isolate this, but absolutely none comes through the amp, at least not that I can hear. But, isolated mounts will be required with the (really cheap) Triads.

X2 - I have used bothe the Triads and Hammond very close to the boards in testing and there's no induced hum. This amp seems very robust when it comes to extraneous noise - I have had quite a bit of spagehtti on the bench and as long as the grounds are correct, silence...

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #43 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T2, SS eXStata, Tube eXStata, whats the second uber high-end DIY design? (Assuming your not talking about the KGSS or BH)

He means the diy SRX.

edit: lol had a funny feeling I'd be too slow typing =]

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #44 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 - I have used bothe the Triads and Hammond very close to the boards in testing and there's no induced hum. This amp seems very robust when it comes to extraneous noise - I have had quite a bit of spagehtti on the bench and as long as the grounds are correct, silence...

Awesome, Thanx!

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #45 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great work! It's sort cool that we have two additions to the uber-high-end and now two additions to the low-end electrostatic amplifier family after such a long time of no new designs
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't necessarily compartmentalize this amp this way. It may be inexpensive but it may not at all be low-end. The performance may be much better than the price tag indicates.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back