Eversolo DMP-A6 Network Streamer/DAC
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #722 of 769
You can do that with the A8 as well, I hate EQ in any form, but that is another discussion
Well, sometimes for speakers it is a good way-out from boomyness and darkness, something like mild room correction, if you know what are you doing. I also hate doing DSP in digital since often it messes with soundstage and do not use the A6 EQ; but I use a 7band tube pre-amp and click, click, one-two notches up and down, are fully ok and beneficial often, and fit different moods.

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #723 of 769
Anyone know if A6 or A8 has volume balance control now thru new firmware updates? Also what is the highest upsample rate in pcm and dsd it can do ? Thanks.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #724 of 769
About the upsampling options on the Eversolo DMP-A6. I couldn't get anything to work in this regard until the Eversolo Audio Engine setting is set to OFF. Then the different sampling rate options work as they should from original sampling rate to 192 kHz. This is using the internal music player playing local PCM 2ch FLAC files, I am not sure what happens if you use streaming services as the source. The digital outputs if you have enabled them reflect the new sampling rate, I have checked the SPDIF coax and USB Audio OUT, presumably HDMI follows this as well. One thing to note that if you are currently actively playing a track and change the sampling rate in the A6 settings, it will not take effect until the next track in the play queue is started. So maybe halt any music playback, change the rate, then start music playback again to avoid any confusion. Need to listen a lot more before offering any opinion on whether upsampling on this device alters the sound quality.
I was about to ask a question about the ability to manually change the sample rate of my local FLAC and ALAC files. It sounds like this is possible up to 192 kHz.

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #727 of 769
Anyone know if A6 or A8 has volume balance control now thru new firmware updates? Also what is the highest upsample rate in pcm and dsd it can do ? Thanks.
There is a volume balance option now on the A6 and I assume also on the A8. Upsampling on the A6 is possible up to 192 kHz PCM, you need to turn the Eversolo original sample feature OFF to get this to work.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #728 of 769
There is a volume balance option now on the A6 and I assume also on the A8. Upsampling on the A6 is possible up to 192 kHz PCM, you need to turn the Eversolo original sample feature OFF to get this to work.
Thanks. That's awesome news, I like the volume balance feature. Any word if A6 or A8 will be able to upsample up to 384khz PCM in future firmware?

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #730 of 769
I switched up a little bit. I purchased a decent quality spdif coaxial to go from the a6 and feed the ef499 and have decent quality cables from 499 to the Nitsch Maximus (RCA) and xlr to the Schiit Midgard.

I disconnected the Amazon Music in hires and switched to Tidal since it is the same price now.

Ripped CD’s sound comparable to MQA but with this setup if I listen to a MQA song and the same album song (sure I don’t know some stuff) but I can hear the singer breathing now.

The Spdif I caved and purchased is an audio quest black carbon .75 meter..

I can hear a difference with usb and spdif. Spdif sounds better and I am still not sold audio quest black carbon has more magical power than another 75 ohm cable but it looks good. :) that was a splurge though.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #731 of 769
I switched up a little bit. I purchased a decent quality spdif coaxial to go from the a6 and feed the ef499 and have decent quality cables from 499 to the Nitsch Maximus (RCA) and xlr to the Schiit Midgard.

I disconnected the Amazon Music in hires and switched to Tidal since it is the same price now.

Ripped CD’s sound comparable to MQA but with this setup if I listen to a MQA song and the same album song (sure I don’t know some stuff) but I can hear the singer breathing now.

I can hear a difference with usb and spdif. Spdif sounds better and I am still not sold audio quest black carbon has more magical power than another 75 ohm cable but it looks good. :) that was a splurge though.
Hi, very interesting set-up, esthetics as well - bravo! How would you describe the ef499. I am highly interested on its technicalities like resolution and soundstage width and depth. Would you be kind to share some comparison with smth popular or, let's say vs the A6 dac.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #732 of 769
Hi, very interesting set-up, esthetics as well - bravo! How would you describe the ef499. I am highly interested on its technicalities like resolution and soundstage width and depth. Would you be kind to share some comparison with smth popular or, let's say vs the A6 dac.
I am using 2 Schiit Amps (Midgard and Maximus). I believe Schiit makes their Amps to favor R2R dacs somehow in their mathematical algorithm.

With that using the ef499 as a dac and using the a6 as the source with Ayra Organic Headphones I believe that are also engineered to be used with r2r type dacs. I can play almost anything and I don’t get the fatigue as I do when I use the a6 dac.

To explain it is like being stabbed over and over in the head. For awhile it is fine but something in the delivery of the sound becomes torturous.

Using as I am makes it more like a thing I can fall asleep to while wearing headphones. I get plenty of treble still but not the harshness. I also like good bass and I get that too and I believe that is the key. It cancels out the pitch fork treble.

Bow I also have 660s2 and it is enjoyable too but much more recessed than the clarity of the Ayra. For fun I also pulled out the Phillips Fidelio and those are too boomy.

Also to add I also believe the ef499 has a better spdif coax input or the a6 has a better coax output.

I wish someone that has more experience than I do had this setup because I think it is great but another with more experience might say otherwise. What I do know is I have always got ess or AKM all in one dacs before this setup and I have had higher end stuff and none of that compares to this.

Now I want to try the Bitcrost because that is r2r’ish :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #734 of 769

That's possible, as, with SPDIF, clock generator in the streamer dictates the timing of the digital output, whilst for USB, the DAC will rely on DAC's internal clock. As your unit is A6ME, I think clock inside should be superior to those in the EF499.

In my case, with the DDC and Terminator Plus DAC, that equip with far superior clock than the A6ME, using USB yields better result.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #735 of 769
That's possible, as, with SPDIF, clock generator in the streamer dictates the timing of the digital output, whilst for USB, the DAC will rely on DAC's internal clock. As your unit is A6ME, I think clock inside should be superior to those in the EF499.

In my case, with the DDC and Terminator Plus DAC, that equip with far superior clock than the A6ME, using USB yields better result.
Nice. That makes sense. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back