Eversolo DMP-A6 Network Streamer/DAC
Jul 19, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #46 of 780
I experienced shortages, it seems on the back of rave reviews, the Eversolo DMP-6 is in great demand. I wasn't able to buy, but I did settle for the Eversolo DAC-Z8. Really a first class DAC for £($)600, I then purchased JF MX-PRO digital transport and Streamer(Android based OS), this is an excellent device that allows DSD512 files to be played natively. I have the Singxer class A head amp for the amplification, balanced output to my Hifiman XS planar magnet headphones.
I guess the combination of the DAC Z8 and JF MX-PRO provides the same benefits as the DMP-A6, so I'm happy :gs1000smile:

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #47 of 780
Hello, I have a question about wired ethernet connection. I usually connect my streamers with ethernet cable to avoid any risk of signal dropout.
Everything work fine on wifi with my android tablet but I must use the dmp a6 display screen when using wired connection.

Is it normal that we can not use the eversolo app or your tablet to control the streamer when using wired internet connection?
Mine is connected via ethernet and I can connect with the app via wifi through my phone. Ethernet and wifi have to be from the same network.

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #48 of 780
I wish the digital volume control had 0.5 db increments like the analog volume control has. I like the finer control.

Jul 19, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #49 of 780
Don't take any advice on sound quality from ASR. Rant alert: skip to the * if you don't care.

Science is their religion and even mentioning improvement in sound quality that they can't measure is heresy. I think ASR stands for Amirs Science Religion 😉. All jokes aside, they think that audio devices can be defined by what he decides needs to be measured. And he decides how the results should be interpreted. What he can not measure, or doesn't like to measure, or does not know how to interpret should not be considered. Science is objective, but this does not mean scientist are! This makes for very bad scientists whose 'findings' can be swayed by any form of incentive (financial not excluded), personal preferences or beliefs. This makes him more of a high priest with a following than a neutral observer.
Hi @]eep thanks so much for your insights. I always thought there is something "off" about ASR, but could not figure out what. After your explanation, it has all become clear. Thank goodness I did not base my decision on the "gospel" over there :sweat_smile:
To give you some practical advice and some life experience. If you do not care to use it as a standalone and have or want a good dac along the line fed with usb, it doesn't matter.

The upgraded clocks however do make a difference in sound quality. The clock signal is transmitted in sp/dif: coax and optical out. Not in USB or i2s.
The upgraded opamps in the output stage also make a difference and you can definitely hear that. Just ask Burson. I've done some opamp 'rolling' testing different brands and types: it made a lot of difference.

In my experience the Ess 9038 Q2m is a capable dac chip, the 2 channel version of the pro version intended for mobile use etc. It sounds great. It is one of the best even if AKM is more refined. The difference between €150 and €3000 dacs with the 9038 is the clocks, power supply and the output stage.
For the time being, I plan on feeding A6 into my AVR using RCA to bypass all internal processing of the AVR. Later, when I upgrade to an AVR with XLR inputs, then I will use the balanced outputs of the A6.

Your list of Master Edition benefits does not include the RCA outputs of the A6, should I assume that the RCA output will also benefit from the better internals of the Master Edition?

If you want a single box solution the master edition is the better option. Whenever I tell myself: this will do, I can buy it now, very often I regret it later 'if only I saved a bit longer'.

On the other hand: if you just want the best quality and you want and upgrade path; save your money for a seperate dac layer. You can pick any flavor you want later, R2R, ESS, AKM, Chord, Audio Gd, Gustard. And the regular A6 won't disappoint. You need a dac over 1k to really make an improvement. But you're already half way there if you take the regular version.
Thanks for this great piece of advice, about saving for longer to get a better unit. On the other hand, your point about picking a DAC with different flavors is tempting too.

My question is, I have read a lot about AKM's "high definition" output so this might be something I pair to the A6, but what is the best way to get an idea of the AKM sound signature to see if I will really like it? One way is to buy from Amazon and return but I don't want my account to be blacklisted due to excessive returns unless it's absolutely necessary but local dealers don't carry any AKM DACs for listening tests.

Also: don't upgrade everything at once or you won't know which does what. Or to big steps up. It's a journey you should enjoy not just rush through and make snapshots.
Thanks for this advice again of being patient. Perhaps I will be happy with the Master Edition for a while, and then look for opportunities to pair it with a unique DAC.

I hope this helps you make a good decision you are content with.
Absolutely helps! At least now I can make informed decisions.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #51 of 780
Hi @]eep thanks so much for your insights. I always thought there is something "off" about ASR, but could figure out what. After your explanation, it has all become clear. Thank goodness I did not base my decision on the "gospel" over there :sweat_smile:

For the time being, I plan on feeding A6 into my AVR using RCA to bypass all internal processing of the AVR. Later, when I upgrade to an AVR with XLR inputs, then I will use the balanced outputs of the A6.

Your list of Master Edition benefits does not include the RCA outputs of the A6, should I assume that the RCA output will also benefit from the better internals of the Master Edition?

Thanks for this great piece of advice, about saving for longer to get a better unit. On the other hand, your point about picking a DAC with different flavors is tempting too.

My question is, I have read a lot about AKM's "high definition" output so this might be something I pair to the A6, but what is the best way to get an idea of the AKM sound signature to see if I will really like it? One way is to buy from Amazon and return but I don't want my account to be blacklisted due to excessive returns unless it's absolutely necessary but local dealers don't carry any AKM DACs for listening tests.

Thanks for this advice again of being patient. Perhaps I will be happy with the Master Edition for a while, and then look for opportunities to pair it with a unique DAC.

Absolutely helps! At least now I can make informed decisions.
To be honest about ASR: of course measuring is important to test your design. See it as using the grindstone and whetstone; to finish your knife you need the final polishing and the leather belt. I measure too but only to check if what I'm hearing corresponds to what I suspect. Listening is always the last step and the only one that decides in the end.

And they say the same about 'audiophiles' that we believe impossible things, which is a derogative in their book, without any substantiation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you'll recognize them immediately because they get vile pretty quick without any substance. When you're right, you're right and it will be simple to convince me as I am a scientist too.

To your system: there is probably a reason you have an AVR. They can be good, but for 2 channel listening most people (dare I say audiophile again?) prefer a regular 2 channel amplifier. More emphasis on sound quality instead of raw power and connectivity.

On balanced inputs. For home audio, they are overrated. It requires double the amount of internal components which gets expensive. While you could get much better sound with fewer but better components. Balanced is usually required for professional use like PA systems where very long runs of cable are standard. You can get a lot of interference on runs of 30' or 60' or even 90' of cable. Balancing the signal cable cancels this out (but the filter character of the metal stays, which no-one ever mentions). With 3' runs it negligible. Unless your upstairs neighbour runs a ham-radio station.
Often manufacturers claim balanced inputs, but they are not true balanced because that would get costly quick. Outputs only costs an extra pair of opamps. Not so on amplifiers.

On the a6 master Edition the benefits of the opamps transfers to both RCA and balanced outputs. But as I said, balanced out is just a minor boon.

On the topic of dacs. I like R2R dacs for their natural sound that does not get fatiguing. But don't take my word for it. If you look up some YouTube reviews you can get an idea. Sigma delta (chip based) might be more your thing. To name just a few flavors. Around <$1k Denafrips Ares (R2R I have) or SMSL D400EX (AKM) and SMSL D400ES (ESS). And a tier up Gustard A26 (akm) vs R26 (r2r). I know, there are so many dacs, but just to give you an idea of some very highly regarded ones. I would be happy with any of them. I'm not going to advise anything I would consider myself.
OH, don't forget about Schiit and Geshelli labs if your in the US for cheaper options.

Personally, into an AVR, I don't think you would hear the difference between the regular and the ME. There's too much electronics in there that negates the benefits. The signal path should be short and as good parts as possible to lose as little information as possible.

That said, I would go for the regular version. Save up for a neat DAC, and don't ever feel sorry for Amazon. And I would opt for a seperate high quality stereo amp that you can use for the 2.0 speakers. I like movies too and I get a really impressive sound with my 2.2 speakers. A better stereo amp does more than a slightly better DAC.

You can always ask me per DM if you need details or specifics.

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #52 of 780
I did listen with Hugo2 as DAC coax out i did find the sound bright and sibilant on bad recordings so it will not smooth things out more sharp ssss then i was used to with what i was listening before the streamer arrived and that was sending Bluetooth from the Qobuz app direct to my Hugo2 DAC. This is probebly not the streamers fault because recently i have tried another power conditioner that brightened things up.

But i did notice a blacker background with A6 with new details i haven't heard before, so cleaner yes.

Things that is bothersome with the EverSolo control app is how many back steps i need to press when listening to Qobuz favourite albums and when i want to go back to the main menu with all settings. Surely there could be shortcuts at bottom row like on the Cambridge app i used before with my CXNv2 streamer(which is hard to compare sound with now because i have changed to much things in between from when i sold it to buy the A6.

Also i cant get notification on whats playing on the Android phones lock screen or anywhere so i could change tracks easily. But i read my xiaomi software is most bad at properly working notifications.

BubbleUPnP vs EverSolo control app with Qobuz streaming.
The sound quality i thought it was a tiny bit better on the EverSolo app more relaxed and less bright imo. To BubbleUPnP advantage though is a much higher resolution in the album art cover and the lock screen notification works fine. I think the EverSolo app has to poor resolution on the album art.

I will try the internal DAC today and maybe connect my tv up with optical.
Your BubbleUPnP is installed on Eversolo A6 or mobile phone while comparing sound quality?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #53 of 780
Found a quirk with the app using Qobuz. When I try to scroll through my Qobuz playlists, the app closes out! I have to re-open the app. The work around is scrolling through my playlists via the touch screen.

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #54 of 780
Jul 23, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #56 of 780
Anyone compared the DMP-A6 to the DMP-A6 Master Edition?
If I'm not mistaken, the Master addition has the same DAC as the Eversolo DAC-Z8, the sound quality should be better (the top end ESS processor with 8 times oversampling) than the standard DMP-6 but not greatly so.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #57 of 780
The better clocks and opamps should give it better soundquality.

Jul 24, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #58 of 780
My first impressions of the A6 are very positive. I mainly use it as a streamer feeding my R2R DAC. The setup was super easy, intuitive and it is a joy to use the unit. The menu is logical, operation is quick and smooth. Quite a relief after the glitchy Zen Stream.
When it comes to sound, as a streamer only it is a step up from the Zen Stream, but the Zen Stream's sound is still very good for the money. The A6 sounds more neutral, more reference. The soundstage is bigger, airier and the resolution is higher with better detail retrieval. The Zen Stream in comparison is still very nice, but somehow a little warmer and thicker, less detailed.
I only tried the internal DAC of the A6 briefly, but it is surprisingly capable. Again, very clean sounding with good space and details, I think it is easily on the level of RME ADI-2, although perhaps sounds a bit more neutral than the German DAC. Switching to my Pegasus with upgrade fuse the R2R technology still gives me a more natural and lifelike sound with better textures and more depth, but I am positively surprised at the DAC performance of the A6. Most people should be happy with using the internal DAC.

It is a bit of a shame that the A6 currently is not supporting digital in/digital out to external DAC, hopefully that will come with a future firmware upgrade. Right now I use USB out to my external DAC, but I would like to connect a computer with USB-C to the A6. I will probably try RCA interconnect cables to my amplifier from the A6 as my external DAC is connected with balanced XLR. Changing sources would take a couple of switches, but I would not need to unplug any cables.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #59 of 780
To your system: there is probably a reason you have an AVR.
Yes, it's a Pioneer Elite LX-505 AVR with Dirac Live feature to get the best our of my Polk Audio Dolby Atmos "Reserve" series speakers which are known for its neutrality and have tested highly.

However, for music listening, I use the "Pure Direct" mode on the AVR to bypass all internal processing. This is why I plan on using A6's RCA output to feed to it.

On the a6 master Edition the benefits of the opamps transfers to both RCA and balanced outputs.
This is great to hear.

Personally, into an AVR, I don't think you would hear the difference between the regular and the ME. There's too much electronics in there that negates the benefits. The signal path should be short and as good parts as possible to lose as little information as possible.
While I understand that "signal path should be short" but my living room is limited in space. Right now as it is, I already have 9 speakers for the Atmos system, so it would be challenging to add a pair of speakers just for music listening. Besides, one of the reasons to get the A6 is to use its HDMI output to try multi-channel DSD listening on the AVR.

I guess it boils down to how good the "Pure Audio" mode on my AVR is. Ideally a dedicated amp would be great but given the limitations listed above, is there a way to find out how my AVR performs when compared to some of the best amps? Just wondering what numbers to look at, to determine is Master Edition is worthwhile.

On the topic of dacs. I like R2R dacs for their natural sound that does not get fatiguing. But don't take my word for it. If you look up some YouTube reviews you can get an idea. Sigma delta (chip based) might be more your thing. To name just a few flavors. Around <$1k Denafrips Ares (R2R I have) or SMSL D400EX (AKM) and SMSL D400ES (ESS). And a tier up Gustard A26 (akm) vs R26 (r2r). I know, there are so many dacs, but just to give you an idea of some very highly regarded ones. I would be happy with any of them. I'm not going to advise anything I would consider myself.
OH, don't forget about Schiit and Geshelli labs if your in the US for cheaper options.
Currently I am most intrigued by D400EX or Gustard A26 for the AKM sound.

Hopefully more owners of Master Edition with these AKM DACs will be able to share if the external DAC upgrade is worth it.

That said, I would go for the regular version. Save up for a neat DAC, and don't ever feel sorry for Amazon. And I would opt for a seperate high quality stereo amp that you can use for the 2.0 speakers. I like movies too and I get a really impressive sound with my 2.2 speakers. A better stereo amp does more than a slightly better DAC.
Yes this would be ideal scenario, but with the space limitation, I think I need an "Endgame" type DAC, just not sure if A6 Master Edition would be it. Or like you said, get the regular version, because there will be plenty of upgrade opportunities later.

An alternative would be to go for the soon-to-be-released WiiM Pro+? It has AKM chip and it's quite a capable streamer too. Of course it does lose a few A6 unique selling points like DSD support, touchscreen etc but for someone who is happy with an external DAC I think it's a really good "budget" streamer.

You can always ask me per DM if you need details or specifics.
Thanks for the offer!

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #60 of 780
It is a bit of a shame that the A6 currently is not supporting digital in/digital out to external DAC, hopefully that will come with a future firmware upgrade. Right now I use USB out to my external DAC, but I would like to connect a computer with USB-C to the A6. I will probably try RCA interconnect cables to my amplifier from the A6 as my external DAC is connected with balanced XLR. Changing sources would take a couple of switches, but I would not need to unplug any cables.
Hi @betula thanks for your impressions of the A6, helps people like me who is deciding. I do have a few questions though:

1. What are the benefits of having digital out to external DAC through its existing ports?

2. Is one of the benefits for people who want to use the USB-C port connection for computers?

3. I read that "serious" audio gear should have I2S port, is the USB-C port on the A6/ME really inferior when connecting to external DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back