European Championship 2012 (Football / Footbol / Soccer)
Jun 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #211 of 295
Quote:
Germany will trounce Italy if they play like they did yesterday against a clearly inferior team.

true but italians, we are dreamers and we win the european championship
beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #214 of 295
Quote:
I see him totally different and I think the English team does not understand to use him as ManUtd. He is VERY strong with the ball - is fast as hell - sees the open areas for the other to find him and scores on a lot of chances. He is not a player who can create everything himself. He also only had two games to prove what he could. None of the other English players created anything. So the way I see it is that instead of blaming Rooney I think Roy and the rest of the team is to blame for not using him and capitalizing on his strong sides. I would have given him more support if I was the manager. But then again it is always easier to be clever afterwards :)

No International team will win anything if they pick a team to bring the best out of one player. Argentina don't do it with Messi, Portugal don't do it with Ronaldo and England should not do it with Rooney even if he was in the same class as Messi or Ronaldo which he certainly is not.

We rightly never picked a team to get the best out of Crouch, Defoe or Shearer and their records for England are FAR superior to Rooney's.

It also does not matter if he is strong on the ball if his ball control & first touch are naff because he will be going nowhere anyway.

England's problem is we still play the long ball kick it and hope style of football. None of the best English teams (probably thanks to the number of foreigners in the teams) play that way so it is alien to a lot of the players when they play for England.

I remember when we played Trinadad & Tobago in the last world cup. We dominated the match, even though T&T had the best chance in the first half, but we relied on the long ball game and T&T were never under any real pressure even though we were obviously a far better team. But that all changed when Lennon came on in the second half. Finally we had a player who would and could take on the opposition and try to actually create something and he did for the first goal.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #215 of 295
Jun 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #217 of 295
Quote:

England's problem is we still play the long ball kick it and hope style of football. None of the best English teams (probably thanks to the number of foreigners in the teams) play that way so it is alien to a lot of the players when they play for England.

To me the problem lies more on the technical abilities of the English players than the direct style they employ. The likes of James Wilner and Ashley Cole are not comfortable on the ball and CAN'T play the intricate passing game. Yeah, they both play for top English teams- top English teams that have lots of skillful foreign players. 
If you look at the top European teams like Spain and Germany, they are both skillful and physical. England are falling behind and have been like that for a long time.
As an England and West Ham supporter it was really sad for me to see Diamanti score the penalty to send England home. Here is a player that we couldn't wait to get rid off for NOTHING ( West Ham agreed on a fee of £1.8m but so far haven't received a penny yet). Not good enough for West Ham but good enough for the Italian national team? That says it all about what we value. Until that changes England will always go home around this stage of any competition (or earlier).
Some people suggested that England played like the old Italian team? You might be kidding me!

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #218 of 295
Quote:
To me the problem lies more on the technical abilities of the English players than the direct style they employ. The likes of James Wilner and Ashley Cole are not comfortable on the ball and CAN'T play the intricate passing game. Yeah, they both play for top English teams- top English teams that have lots of skillful foreign players. 
If you look at the top European teams like Spain and Germany, they are both skillful and physical. England are falling behind and have been like that for a long time.
As an England and West Ham supporter it was really sad for me to see Diamanti score the penalty to send England home. Here is a player that we couldn't wait to get rid off for NOTHING ( West Ham agreed on a fee of £1.8m but so far haven't received a penny yet). Not good enough for West Ham but good enough for the Italian national team? That says it all about what we value. Until that changes England will always go home around this stage of any competition (or earlier).
Some people suggested that England played like the old Italian team? You might be kidding me!

how many teams in london?chelsea, fulham, west ham, tottenham, arsenal and???

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #220 of 295
Jun 27, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #223 of 295
Quote:

I do agree with some of what you said. I stick by my opinioin that our style of football is flawed and is the reason we have so little possession even against clearly inferior opposition. Which is the reason we make poor teams look a lot better than they are.
James Milner is not a wide midfielder. He has not got the pace or ability to run past players to be in that position but that is the position he played for England so he was wasted.
I feel Ashley Cole is one of the best left backs in the world and is one of the few players who is cabable and comfortable with the ball. I do totally agree that we are far better without the ball than with it and that is a frightening fact. The technical level in our game has always been pretty poor. Coaches have always been more interested in effort,determination and teamwork than the technical abilities of passing,shooting,controlling the ball or running with the ball.
Until that changes we will always be second tier.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #224 of 295
Quote:

I do agree with some of what you said. I stick by my opinioin that our style of football is flawed 

I actually agree with that too (don't enjoy the long ball game) - we just need to have better skilled players to do something about it. A England manage can change the style of play but he needs capable players. The two foreign managers we had didn't win us anything and even got us very far. Whereas Bobby Robson and Terry Venables got England into semi finals. Many English managers have had great success managing foreign clubs partly due to the fact that they have the right players to work with. 
With the players England have, we can't play from the back to start the attack through mid field like other teams.
Anyway, I think England did very well in Euro 2012 and I consider them unbeaten in the competition.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #225 of 295
Today: Força Portugal e ganhamos à Espanha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back