Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Aug 26, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,186 of 1,204
Looking to source an UltraBaX T2 (there isn't a balanced version I assume) and SuperBaX T2 4.4mm Balanced in the UK...

..any links / advice would be much appreciated!
You could check with distributors. I'm in the US. I got the balanced w/ 4.4mm connector. You might try sending a pm to @EtyDave. He could probably hook you up.

Aug 26, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,187 of 1,204
You could check with distributors. I'm in the US. I got the balanced w/ 4.4mm connector. You might try sending a pm to @EtyDave. He could probably hook you up.

Yeah, I think the trick is finding one already in stock in the UK.

Please shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can locate one for you.

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #1,189 of 1,204
Long time Etymotic fan here. The OG ER-4 is still in my collection. lol.....

1698967094746.png

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,192 of 1,204
Evo has disapeared from Eymotic webpage. New model? out of stock?

We're out of stock, but our distributors aren't. The page should pop back up soon.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,193 of 1,204
To all my friends on Head-Fi,

I just wanted to let everybody here know that, after 18 wonderful years, today is my last day at Etymotic. It's been an amazing ride. I've worked on so many designs over the years that I hold dear (HF series, MC series, ER2, ER3, ER4, EVO, etc). I've met a lot of you at CanJams and the shared enthusiasm of people that love audio has always been special to me. I truly value each and every one of you have that supported the products that I've helped design and the companies that I've worked for.

As you may have been able to tell, I really enjoy this stuff, so I will still participate in threads and offer technical advice (feel free to tag me with questions), I just won't be able to help sort out things like orders and customer service. I am sure that there are other that will take on that role.

My hope/plan is to stay in the industry, so you may see me in another role. At the very least, you will see me on Head-Fi as a fellow enthusiast.

Happy holidays and best regards. I'll see you on the other side.

Best Regards,

Dave
aka EtyDave

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #1,194 of 1,204
To all my friends on Head-Fi,

I just wanted to let everybody here know that, after 18 wonderful years, today is my last day at Etymotic. It's been an amazing ride. I've worked on so many designs over the years that I hold dear (HF series, MC series, ER2, ER3, ER4, EVO, etc). I've met a lot of you at CanJams and the shared enthusiasm of people that love audio has always been special to me. I truly value each and every one of you have that supported the products that I've helped design and the companies that I've worked for.

As you may have been able to tell, I really enjoy this stuff, so I will still participate in threads and offer technical advice (feel free to tag me with questions), I just won't be able to help sort out things like orders and customer service. I am sure that there are other that will take on that role.

My hope/plan is to stay in the industry, so you may see me in another role. At the very least, you will see me on Head-Fi as a fellow enthusiast.

Happy holidays and best regards. I'll see you on the other side.

Best Regards,

Dave
aka EtyDave
Dave, it was a pleasure working with you briefly while I was consulting to Etymotic / Westone Audio.
This community is very lucky to have great, knowledgable and enthusiastic people like you contributing from their personal time and vast knowledge / experience.
Good luck with whatever your next venture may be, hopefully in this industry :)

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,195 of 1,204
Dave, it was a pleasure working with you briefly while I was consulting to Etymotic / Westone Audio.
This community is very lucky to have great, knowledgable and enthusiastic people like you contributing from their personal time and vast knowledge / experience.
Good luck with whatever your next venture may be, hopefully in this industry :)

Thanks Zach. I've always enjoyed our conversations and I expect to in the future. And I fully expect to see you at future CanJams. Probably NYC.

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #1,196 of 1,204
@EtyDave I am all booked for NYC CanJam :smile:
see you there!

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #1,197 of 1,204
Evo is my favourite iem. Until recently I had an Er2XR with the Etymotion bluetoth cable for commuting to work and walks with my dog. The cable stopped working and I needed a solution for these situations. I do not like active noise cancellation and love the Etymotic sound. After some looking around I have ended up with the Shure tw2 Bluetooth adapters. I have tried with the Er2Xr with an adapter and I am quite happy with the result with those. I have now ordered and received the Westone mmcx to t2 adapters and now I am trying the Evo true wireless!
Result is very comfortable, sound amazing, truly amazing, really stable bluetooth connection both with my Iphone or with the SR25. The tw2 has the so called environment mode that allows you to hear the outside sounds with the touch of a button. That is nice since you do not need to take off the iems to hear something. Much more convenient. Only downside is these adapters are not very powerful. For me it is more than fine but maybe for others it will not be enough. Sound is clearly louder with the Er2xr that have lower impedance. The Evo also fit perfectly in the T2 charging case.
I have read that the Ifi Go Pod also have a T2 connector as an available extra and are very powerful but they do not have the environment mode which is now a must for me. They are also twice as expensive as the Shure T2.
I will have to decide between Evo and Er2Xr for on the go but in any case happy with the Etymotic sound combined with the Shure adapters. With the Evo since they are my favourite I would have to change to cable much more which makes me worry about breaking the T2 connectors. I read somewhere they are supposed to be longer lasting than the mmcx. The Er2Xr are also a pretty good solution.
thumbnail_IMG_2586.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2587.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #1,198 of 1,204
Hey folks, I just wanted to let you know that I've changed my handle here from EtyDave to AnyDave due to no longer being employed by ETY.

If anybody needs help with anything, I'm still happy to answer questions, but you'll need to @ me or DM me to this handle.

I hope everybody is doing well and still enjoying their ETYs.

Cheers,

AnyDave

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #1,199 of 1,204
Mar 5, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #1,200 of 1,204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back