Etymotic HF5 vs MC5 [FIXED TITLE]
Dec 9, 2010 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kondor-11

100+ Head-Fier
Had some ER6i's for a while and loved them, but they disappeared. I can get the HF5s for $20 on amazon after a coupon, but amazon says there is a "new model of this product", referring to the HC5s. Normally I always like to go with the latest stuff, but I can't get the HC5s for as cheap. So how do they compare?

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 10
Today, the black HF5 is on sale at Amazon (fulfilled by Antonline.com) for $64 + $7 S&H, so I just ordered one.  Blue and ruby versions are still the normal $115 price.

a11en, if you re-read the OP, he said he had a gift certificate at Amazon -- must have been for $40-50 to get a final price of $20.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Today, the black HF5 is on sale at Amazon (fulfilled by Antonline.com) for $64 + $7 S&H, so I just ordered one.  Blue and ruby versions are still the normal $115 price.

a11en, if you re-read the OP, he said he had a gift certificate at Amazon -- must have been for $40-50 to get a final price of $20.

Thanks. I'll pick up a pair to complement my dynamic driver iems.

Also, for the ghost of bennyboy71

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 10
You are correct I meant MC5 :)

The coupon I got was from signing up for a 1 year commitment to Audible.com (audiobooks). I've been an Audible customer for a long time now and love it so it was a no-brainer. It's only $15/month anyways and you get a $100 coupon for select items, including some pretty sweet headphones. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000013251_pglink_1?ie=UTF8&plgroup=4&docId=1000013251&plpage=1

Quote:
I am aware of an Etymotic MC5 but not HC5.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Had some ER6i's for a while and loved them, but they disappeared. I can get the HF5s for $20 on amazon after a coupon, but amazon says there is a "new model of this product", referring to the HC5s. Normally I always like to go with the latest stuff, but I can't get the HC5s for as cheap. So how do they compare?

That's very odd for Amazon.com to link to the MC5 as a "new version of this [HF5] model."  The MC5 is a substantial departure from the Etymotic product line in that it uses a dynamic driver, not a balanced armature like all their other products.  I had the MC5 and it shares similar traits to the RE0, in that it SOUNDS more like a BA driver than a dynamic driver, but most HF5 or ER4 users review it as not being able to compete with the HF5/EF4 in terms of clarity and details.  

I wonder if the HF5 black going on sale at Antonline.com, combined with Amazon.com saying the MC5 is a newer version of the HF5, is an early notice of the beginning of the end of the HFx model?  Etymotic hasn't killed the ER4 model, even after 20+ years of production of essentially the exact same model.

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

Quote:

That's very odd for Amazon.com to link to the MC5 as a "new version of this [HF5] model."  The MC5 is a substantial departure from the Etymotic product line in that it uses a dynamic driver, not a balanced armature like all their other products.  I had the MC5 and it shares similar traits to the RE0, in that it SOUNDS more like a BA driver than a dynamic driver, but most HF5 or ER4 users review it as not being able to compete with the HF5/EF4 in terms of clarity and details.  

I wonder if the HF5 black going on sale at Antonline.com, combined with Amazon.com saying the MC5 is a newer version of the HF5, is an early notice of the beginning of the end of the HFx model?  Etymotic hasn't killed the ER4 model, even after 20+ years of production of essentially the exact same model.

I think Amazon might just be confused. But if they do discontinue the HF5 they're too late cuz I just ordered mine for 19.99 shipped 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think Amazon might just be confused. But if they do discontinue the HF5 they're too late cuz I just ordered mine for 19.99 shipped 
tongue_smile.gif

I sent an email to Etymotic customer service about the Amazon.com "newer model" link -- see what they say about it.  I also ordered the HF5, but mine was $70 total, which still isn't bad since normal sale price is $120.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue_smile.gif

I sent an email to Etymotic customer service about the Amazon.com "newer model" link -- see what they say about it.  I also ordered the HF5, but mine was $70 total, which still isn't bad since normal sale price is $120.

Yeah that's a great deal too congrats! :) Now that you mention it I remember seeing them for the lower price. They would have been free under the coupon if I would have made up my mind earlier. Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back