Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
May 27, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #1,308 of 9,894
Last year I paid about 10 EUR for a NOS E80CC and later about 8 EUR for a probably used one in a small tube lot. They were both Philips Heerlen from early sixties and I can't hear any difference between them.

Again shipping would prevent me from buying small tube lot of used tubes. You guys pay almost next to nothing for shipping but shipping cost a lot for me. When I bought the GE 6y6g tubes, shipping cost more than the tubes.

May 27, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,309 of 9,894
Again shipping would prevent me from buying small tube lot of used tubes. You guys pay almost next to nothing for shipping but shipping cost a lot for me. When I bought the GE 6y6g tubes, shipping cost more than the tubes.
Well, if the shipping had been free it would still have been worth more than those tubes. 🤣 :laughing: :smile: :scream: 🤣

May 27, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #1,310 of 9,894
With patience you can find tubes at reasonable prices even if this can take considerable time. It took me three years to find a pair of genuine Lorenz made C3g, not rebranded Siemens made. I paid about 20 EUR for the pair in Germany. I think shipping was about 12 EUR. Found a link when looking for photos. Seller of mixed surplus, not an eBay shark. @mordy taught me this. 'Patience pays'.

If you need a top class tube yesterday it will cost you more.

May 27, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #1,311 of 9,894
These GE tubes are as good as any of the favoured brands. They are military tubes with thick glass and very well constructed. This batch came with black and grey glass. Very unusual. They are as good as the Ken Rad and Philco (Sylvania) brands of 6y6g.

IMG_6292.jpg

May 27, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,312 of 9,894
With patience you can find tubes at reasonable prices even if this can take considerable time. It took me three years to find a pair of genuine Lorenz made C3g, not rebranded Siemens made. I paid about 20 EUR for the pair in Germany. I think shipping was about 12 EUR. Found a link when looking for photos. Seller of mixed surplus, not an eBay shark. @mordy taught me this. 'Patience pays'.

If you need a top class tube yesterday it will cost you more.

I can't wait 3 years. In 3 years time it might be a different hobby. :) Speaking of C3G, I still have pairs of Telefunken and Siemens C3g.

May 27, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #1,314 of 9,894
Nick - I had some hum when I first got my Eufonika H5 Miflex. Solved it by plugging the H5 power cord into its own AC socket, separate and away from all my other AC adapters and crap, which are plugged into a power strip connected to another AC outlet on another wall of the room. Not saying it'll solve your problem, but worth a try if you haven't already done it...

May 27, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #1,316 of 9,894
Have been listening with the Raytheon 5751 windmill for a while. This is a very good tube. Every man and his dog says that but below is my summary.*** :)

I find this tube extremely detailed, with great high frequencies energy and tight low end. It is a bit on the drier side but a great tone. Once you settle in for a listening session, you will love it. It's quite shocking to see the high price it fetch now. I pick this up for AUD$150 which I thought is a lot but a look at ebay shows outrageous price. :)

So 2 great drivers in a day and that cost me AUD$230. I'm happy to be able to sample these tubes.
*** a good summary ☑️ Now, can we have the dog’s review? …. better hearing, etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

May 27, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,317 of 9,894
You might be interested to know that Hungarian Tungsram also made the E80CC. And as you might expect, it is closer to the German sound than the Holland sound.

Always interested in the German vs Holland vs Britain sound. :) Thanks.

At this stage, it's taking a breather before getting more tubes. It's only the first month with Ultimate and the 'upgraded' amp hasn't even arrive. So I will spend more time with each tube type that I already have.

May 27, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #1,319 of 9,894
Nick - I had some hum when I first got my Eufonika H5 Miflex. Solved it by plugging the H5 power cord into its own AC socket, separate and away from all my other AC adapters and crap, which are plugged into a power strip connected to another AC outlet on another wall of the room. Not saying it'll solve your problem, but worth a try if you haven't already done it...

Nick told me he has tried everything. When I see him next Thursday, I will bring my Hum buster.

May 27, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,320 of 9,894
You might be interested to know that Hungarian Tungsram also made the E80CC. And as you might expect, it is closer to the German sound than the Holland sound.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225550157196
I've had them on my radar for a week.
I'm hesitant because of the cost, but I think it could be an interesting Ecc80.
Location is Ukraine that may take a while.
My Fotons had been on the road for 8 weeks, during which time the seller had sent another pair because we thought they had been lost.
The second one got to me quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back