ER4P or ER4S? Which do you prefer?
Jun 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
Doing some light listening by the river today, I noticed that I liked the P more than the S for acoustic music; there was more bass in the music and it was just more exciting. However when going to classical I prefer the S for accuracy and balance. 

What are your preferences?

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 11
I've had the P for years, but just this afternoon, I bought a 75 ohm adapter ($18 on Ebay and free shipping) that will turn my P into an S. The reason why I never bought the Etymotic ER4P to ER4S adapter cable is because I didn't feel like bringing a portable amp around with me anyway. But now that I'm getting into amps, I'd like to find out if an amped S is really that much better than an unamped P.

So maybe just buy an ER4P to ER4S adapter cable so you can get both? The Etymotic brand one is $50 and it extends the cable further (another thing that I didn't like aside from the price). Otherwise, you can get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439b92ead9#ht_3728wt_913

(I found out about the existence of this option from another forum thread here somewhere...)

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 11
I have the ER4P. When I can, I use my XM5 to power them when I get the urge to hear them. I always use the +75 switch with bass boost. The "S" has a more balanced, more forgiving sound. If I need to, I'll listen straight from an iPod which still sounds great.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 11
I have the adapter for my Ety4p as well as a Minibox E+ that has the P/Sswitch on it.  Like YoungSpade I like the P or S for differrent types' music.  The adapter stays in my Portaphile when I listen to that amp with the Ety4p; otherwise, I'll use the P or S adapter on the Minibox when needed.

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 11
I liked the S better.  The P sounded more entertaining depending but I found it fatiguing.  The S seems more accurate and balanced and gives a smoother presentation.  I like the benefits that adding power brings to the sound of a phone and you need Ohm's for that.  I forget the technical term for it.    

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 11
Yea; just today I decided to mess around with the EQ a bit while in the car on my trip up to the college. I found that adding some emphasis on the mids and a little less on the bass while keeping the upper region untouched gave me that feeling of "power" that I was looking for. I love it. 

EQed for the ER4S and flat for the K702s. I love the combination for home and on the go listening. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 11
I'd been using 5.5G+Mini^3->ER4S for a couple of weeks portably then one day forgot the adapter. The difference in detail felt pretty obvious, not day-night, but it definitely felt like something was missing and that it was a slight bit more muddy.

As far as balance, I don't really know, everything I listen to is pretty heavily EQ-ed at the 30-50Hz mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back