tbonner1

Headphoneus Supremus
Equation Audio RP-21 Review

Here is the capsule review upfront:

Treble
8 (of 10)
Clear with good detail.

Midrange
Very good definition. Superb delineation during complex music passages without the congestion of many other headphones.

Bass
A strength of this headphone. Good pitch and detail with acoustic bass. Goes deep and is a bit elevated in level but does not impede the midrange.

Imaging
If you are used to the presentation of an open headphone, you may find the RP-21’s have a more stable image outline (this is what recording engineers like) and are less diffuse. The downside of closed phones is that they do not seem to suspend images with depth and air around them as open headphones do.

Dynamic range
Among the best I have heard. Very good micro dynamics that really let you pick out instruments even at low listening levels. Macro dynamics sound like a well-balanced subwoofer system. On occasion, the RP-21’s can make reference phones (such as the Stax electrostatics or Beyer’s) sound restricted in terms of dynamic contrasts.

Definition
Even across the entire spectrum. Lacking a bit of air and soundstage depth of field.

Build quality
These are very sturdy and look like they can be thrown around, as headphones will be in a recording studio.
The adjustments on the headband are solid and click with a secure assurance. The swivels seem well made and pivot without the loose and flimsy feel of Grado’s.

Ease of fit
They are well designed and neither over built nor heavy so they are comfortable. I am used to velour earpads of the AKG’s, Senn’s and Beyer’s and find the Sony 7506’s uncomfortable with their pleather pads. I found the RP-21’s comfy for long periods and my ears did not sweat as the do the Sony’s. Isolation is superb.

Flat frequency response
Unloads energy evenly. If I had to nit pick (and I always must with headphones) in order to convey the sound character for the purpose of this review, I would say they are a notch elevated in bass and a slight bit in the treble. At low listening levels these sound as neutral as any headphones I have heard.

Sensitivity/Efficiency
The RP-21’s are not headphones that need a lot of power. These sound as though the efficiency is around 115dB (although they do not measure that high) and similar to what I consider the most efficient class of IEM’s such as the Ultimate Ears SF 5 Pro. The RP-21’s sound more open at low listening levels without the constricted sound of many IEM’s at similar low volume.

SOUND QUALITY

What I don’t I like
I prefer the imaging of open headphones. However, I would agree that the RP-21’s are voiced like studio monitors such as the superb Genelec’s rather than home speakers. Instrument images and vocals are clearly outlined and less diffuse than most speakers voiced for home use.

I thought the earpads would get uncomfortable after a while, but they did not. I still wish the RP-21’s had velour/cloth pads available as an option.

What I like
Finally a good sounding, inexpensive, closed headphone that is efficient

Experienced engineering from a US pro audio company with a price from China

Great isolation when you cannot use an open headphone

User detachable single sided straight cable

User replaceable ear cushions

COMPARISONS
I had a pair of Sennheiser HD-280’s and an old pair of Sony V6 (7506) for comparison. The Sony’s were used as field and studio monitors for years. The bass is quite robust and the Sony’s are also easy to drive. However the soundstage is flat and the treble is harsh and no longer as good as other competitive models.

The Sennheiser HD-280 has a heavy build quality, but they are uncomfortable. I also prefer the sound quality of the Sony’s due to the Sony’s better midrange definition and bass slam. The Senn’s sound a bit dry with the polite Sennheiser sound.

The RP-21 is a step up in this, the workhorse category for headphones in a pro environment. The detail of these phones are closer to the audiophile level of closed phones such as the Audio Technica ATH-A900 than the old Sony 7506.

COMPANY BACKGROUND
This is an interesting company. They also sell pro microphones for music and commercial applications as well as microphone tools. It looks to me like they engineer their products in house and farm the designs out to China to be manufactured to specification.

http://www.equationaudio.com/Profess...o-eartools.htm

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The RP-21’s are closed headphones with good isolation. There are suggestions on Equation Audio’s website that this model can be used for mixing and recording. I have also read a description that these are voiced to sound similar to “…4 Ohm monitors..” strapped to your head. If you have ever heard good near field monitors such as the Genelec’s when they are properly set up you will know that the goal is accuracy. This includes detailed instrument and voice separation above almost all else. Bad recordings will sound bad and if you are looking for a colored or rich sound these are not for you.

BUILD QUALITY
These are well built and remind me of a pair of Beyers. They look and feel robust. The detachable straight cable as well as circum-aural ear cushions are both user replaceable.

TECHNICAL INFO
The RP-21’s are efficient: rated at 100 dB with 1 mw input which is around the same level as the Sony 7506 and Sennheiser HD-280. They can be driven out of most portables or high level line outputs, but scale well with better amplification.

They use a relatively large 50-mm dynamic driver. Frequency response is 10-22 khz +/- 3 dB but the website does not describe how this is measured. I would recommend use and reference of the SIA SMAART tools (the Pro Tools of this segment) to demonstrate compliance to some standard. Equation also lists something called Fantasy Response: .001Hurts - 12Ghurts perhaps in cynical response to the futility of technical specifications regarding transducer sound. Even the cable is described with “Plutonium free polymer”….very funny.
A headphone company with a sense of humor coupled with pragmatic pro audio experience.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
No personal experience

OTHER USER COMMENTS
This is a new model, but the feedback has been predominantly good so far regarding sound quality.

CONCLUSION
The RP-21’s are inexpensive, well built and sound better than the competitive closed earphones that were the standard for years. It’s about time. These reflect state of the art thinking in terms of manufacturing and design.

I had dismissed the closed, midrange priced headphones and thought I had to spend around $300 to get a good sounding closed headphone. The build and sound of the RP-21’s pleasantly surprised me.

TEST GEAR

SPEAKERS
JM Labs820
AR9
Sound DynamicsRTS-3
Sound DynamicsAPI-21
AR215
AERPisces v.20 (B&W 805 clones)
AERPisces stands
AERA8 subwoofer
AERA10 subwoofer

AMPLIFICATION
AcurusDIA 100II
Sony800ES
CayinTA-30 (Prima Luna Prologue One)
Aragon2004 mk2
Aragon24ksp
Realistic2280

SOURCE
RotelRCD-991 (nice with HDCD)
PioneerDV-525
TechnicsDVD-A10 (for DVD-A)
SonyC333ES (for SACD)
PhilipsDVP642 (as a transport)
Presonus Central Station DAC
McIntoshMR67
Accuphase T100
KenwoodKT 7500 (fully modded)
Fisher90B

HEADPHONE AMPS
Bada PH-12
Doge6210
RockhopperM3
PresonusCentral Station
XtraX-1
Little Dot2+
YarlandP100

HEADPHONES
AKG701
Altec LansingIM716
CreativeEP-630
Grado225
KossKSC-75
Panasonichje-50
SennheiserHD-650, HD-580,MX400
Ultimate EarsSuperfi 5 pro
Shure E4C,E500

MISC
BelkinPF30 power filter
MonsterHTS-1000
VantageRack
StudiotechRack

CABLES
AudioquestType 4
Silver Audio4 (my best interconnect)
Radio ShackHT Pro
Audioquest16
Audiio MagicSceptor
IXOS Bronze Audition II
SignalIC
Audioquestvideo 1
SignalPower
AcousticResearchPR-130
Radio ShackFusion IC
HeartlandBelden 89259
CTSilver Reference II
Monster2.4 bi-wire
HeartlandStar Quad 4S11
Home DepotHD-14 14 guage (don’t laugh until you try it)

May 12, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 72
Well done, my friend! Thanks for taking the time.

May 12, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 72
Good stuff. Once again, thank you for your awesome reviews, tbonner1. It seems that both the RP-21 and Future Sonics M5 are recent winners for you -- Do you find their general sound signature at all comparable? Specifically, do you think an Equation Audio fan would take to the M5? I'm reluctant to go the M5 route primarily because of my dissatisfaction with Future Sonics' FS1, which over time I found lacked essential treble detail. But I digress...

May 12, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 72
Extremely well written tbonner1. I too am very happy with the Equations and agree with your opinions. I thought I would put the link to the post I made here so as to tie everything Equation together. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236104
I am very pleased with the musicality of the Equation line, I wondered how a headphone line built for 'work' would do for listening. The RP-21's, RP-15's and the RP-22X's all do music very well. While they are very detailed I find them to convey the feeling and warmth of the sound quite well. In the weeks I have owned these headphones I have spent twice as many hours listening per week than I previously had, I just can't take them off. I am late for lunch often!! and that is a big one for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again

May 12, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 72
How do these feel compared to the HD280 Pro's? I found the Senn's to be way, way too tight.

- lk

May 12, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 72
I have a big head (read fat :0)) and find the RP-21's and 22X's very comfortable with enough clamping action to keep them on but not oppressive. IMHO the RP-15's clamp pretty tight but that is a good thing for portable use.

I have never had the 280's on so can't comment specifically, sorry.

May 12, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 72
Wow excellent review! After reading this I am very interested in listening or buying a set of these!

May 13, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow excellent review! After reading this I am very interested in listening or buying a set of these!

Ditto.

Wish I'd known of these prior to the HD280 Pro's. I've got a new pair (worn a few days, in original packaging still).

If you get bored of the RP-21's, let's trade
smily_headphones1.gif

- lk

May 13, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 72
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it and am always looking for ways to improve reviews and make them more useful and user friendly.

epithetless quote RP-21 and Future Sonics M5 are recent winners for you -- Do you find their general sound signature at all comparable?

tbonner1 No, they are not comparable. In fact, the divergence is similar, but not as dramatic, as the difference between Grado and Sennheiser sound. The RP-21's present a very clear window to the recording with sharp attack. The large 50MM drivers help provide a more open image that IEM's are going to have a hard time emulating. I will not say that just because it has a large driver that is the reason it sounds good, but just as with a woofer, a larger size means it will move more air.

The M5's are a different presentation. First as an IEM the image is mixed in your head so that is one big difference. The sound signature of the M5 is similar to the Senn's is that it is less sharp than the RP-21 and more relaxed/natural sounding. This is a big issue with the M5 and one of it's design objectives compared to the myriad of armature based IEM's. The M5 does not have the fast attack of the ETY. Therein may be an M5 secret:One of the reasons people like the M5 is they do not induce listener fatigue. The M5's do not have the treble detail of the RP-21

technetium-Do you know how they compare to the beyer dt770 250ohm?
tbonner1-I only listened to the 80 ohm versions so I do not know. You may want to search for Skylab's expert comments on the Beyer 770 and Darth Beyers.

lordkelmain-How do these feel compared to the HD280 Pro's?
The HD280's were not comfortable for me. The Sony's felt a bit lighter (the pads need to be upgraded to the Beyer velour pads), but the RP-21's were the most comfortable. For long term comfort, it is hard to beat the ultra light Future Sonics M5 or great fitting Shure E500 both with comply tips.

May 14, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 72
You compare them to the audiophile level ATH-A900. By any chance can you give a more in depth comparison? I've seen a good amount of recomendations for the A900 in an unamped under 200 price range for closed headphones, but I've also heard a good deal about a lacking midrange. How do the eartools fare in that regard?

thanks,
PhantmShado

May 14, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 72
RP-21's have mids that are crisp and crystal-clear without being bright.

May 16, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 72
The RP-21's sound well balanced with my tube amps. The lush and rich sounding tubes seem to work best.

May 16, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 72
The seal is about the same as my DT-770, but, perhaps take that with a grain of salt - I have the dt-770 and my friend redbeard has the rp-21. I haven't logged a whole lot of time on 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back