EQ issues on mac
Jan 18, 2022 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BaTou069

500+ Head-Fier
I use a MacBook Pro 13-inch 2020 with a 2.3GHz quad core i7 & 32GB of Ram

Was interested in EQing headphones which I've never done before. Tried eqMac and SoundSource but wanted something more precise so that I can try headphone presets from Amir (audiosciencereview) and from the oratory1990 list on reddit.

I different setups to EQ on mac using BlackHole as the virtual midi/audio interface:

Reaper
From BlackHole to Reaper with MathAudio Headphone EQ. Works but I get hickups/lags every 5 or so seconds, especially if using with the Fiio UTWS3.

AU Lab:
Blackole 2ch as input source, external DAC as output source, AUNbandEQ as EQ plugin
Here I dont get any sound out, spotify will play directly to DACnot sure what Im doing wrong

How do you EQ on mac?

Thx

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 4
I use a MacBook Pro 13-inch 2020 with a 2.3GHz quad core i7 & 32GB of Ram

Was interested in EQing headphones which I've never done before. Tried eqMac and SoundSource but wanted something more precise so that I can try headphone presets from Amir (audiosciencereview) and from the oratory1990 list on reddit.

I different setups to EQ on mac using BlackHole as the virtual midi/audio interface:

Reaper
From BlackHole to Reaper with MathAudio Headphone EQ. Works but I get hickups/lags every 5 or so seconds, especially if using with the Fiio UTWS3.

AU Lab:
Blackole 2ch as input source, external DAC as output source, AUNbandEQ as EQ plugin
Here I dont get any sound out, spotify will play directly to DACnot sure what Im doing wrong

How do you EQ on mac?

Thx
I've used ToneBoosters' Equalizer plugin with Audirvana (on macOS), but it's only an option if your playback software support plug-ins.

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_equalizer_v4.html

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 4
How do you EQ on mac?

Thx
Read the Mac OSX section from the AutoEQ github page for some tips.

Found this very useful Head-fi Computer Audio forum post (not free): Tutorial: Most elegant way to run a high quality EQ on OS X

Found one more via google: Create an Equalizer for All Audio in Mac OS X

And another via google (for Mac and Windows): How To Equalize Your Computer For iTunes, Spotify And Everything Else

You can use either Soundflower or BlackHole for the internal audio router.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 4
I find it insane that there is no easy and cheap way to do parametric EQ on a MAC such that it can be used on streaming services as well.

The only thing that worked for me easily and nicely was Roon (Qobuz, Tidal) but it having to pay so much while Windows users can have it for free ... ugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back