ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Dec 18, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,006 of 1,237

Value is relative and diminishing returns are a thing.  So the question of whether it's worth it is really personal.  As I explained above, for me it was not but now is.  Only you can answer it for yourself.  How much spare change do you have lying around?  Can your source gear make those headphones shine?  Are you perfectly happy with the 560 or do you feel like it's missing something?  All these go into the decision.  

What I can tell you is that the Dharma is in good company with the Edition X and HD800/S.

EDIT - I'm not really interested in purchasing any more Hifiman proucts at the moment.  That's a personal thing and shouldn't sway your decision.  The Edition X is a great headphone too, but it's like 50% more expensive than the Dharma.

The price point is the same here as I said in previous post - I'm not sure Dharma is available anywhere in UK as yet. HD800 S isn't, but can be had from anywhere in EU at a cheaper price than Dharma or HEX. HEX is available in UK.
Please PM re Hifiman comment - we all rely on personal recommendations or otherwise...

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,007 of 1,237
I was able to hear the Dharma at a somewhat recent MD/DC/VA meet, Well Pleased Audio brought it in to sample along with the Athena amp and some other gear. I'm not certain if it was the final release, so that caveat may apply. I really enjoyed them and could certainly live with them, they had a crisp and airy sound quality that was unique and memorable. I could see them being the go-to for strings and/or classical. For the music I prefer (mostly indie rock, indie folk revival, female vocalists, etc.) I like the LCD-X a bit more, it felt a little more confident in its presentation (perhaps more forceful while the Dharma was more delicate). I do like the Dharma better than the HE-560, just a better overall presentation I felt, however the HE-6 (with a powerful amp) is still one of my favorite headphones of all time... just awesome subterranean bass. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,008 of 1,237

The price point is the same here as I said in previous post - I'm not sure Dharma is available anywhere in UK as yet. HD800 S isn't, but can be had from anywhere in EU at a cheaper price than Dharma or HEX. HEX is available in UK.
Please PM re Hifiman comment - we all rely on personal recommendations or otherwise...

Ah, forgot you said that about the price.  Re HFM, I'm really not going into it.  Like I said, it's personal and shouldn't influence your decisions at all.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #1,009 of 1,237

For me the potential upgrade path is Dharma, HEX (HEK too rich for me) or HD800 S
All will be a similar price in the UK, although the Dharma is much better value in US.

Is it worth jumping to this higher price level or sticking with the 560s?

I owned the HE-6 for about 16 months, auditioned the HE560 for a month, own the HD800 and to my preferences the Dharma takes top place for my needs.  The 560, side by side vs the HE-6 was an unfair fight.  To my value meter, the extra $400 is worth it. 

It's a mixture of the soundstage (HD800esque), bass (as good as any can I own and gives me the same thump-thrill as my LA7000's although nothing compares to the HE-6 fed from speaker taps of my Spec system for absolute viscerality <is that even a word?>) and the wild card is the treble.  I'm no treble-head, in fact I'm either a basshead or recovering basshead (truth be known it's the quality bass that I've come to appreciate about high end phones), but the treble of the Dharma is exquisite.  Just sounds so real (like Neil Peart is crashing cymbals inside your head).  Add in great comfort and build quality that is unmatched.  I go back and forth between these on the Spec system and the HD800 on my lower power Pioneer SA-7500MKII downstairs. Both are great headphones.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,011 of 1,237
  Guys,

Do yourself a favor and pull back the liner material that's covering the electrostatic tweeter module and check those two screws that hold it in place.  I received the audition pair with all four screws completely backed out and loose.  Was able to reinstall them and enjoy the audition.  Now I double checked the screws on my purchased pair and they are just slightly loosened.  I have jewelers screwdrivers so it's easy to snug them up but thought I'd pass this on that it may be a potential issue that we need to maintain. 

Post up if you find any loose screws...................

No, no….no! Don't yourself this favor!

Those screws that secure the housing which holds the self-polarizing electrostatic diaphragm, are purposely loosened in order to maintain a calculated clearance. Those screws are secured with special adhesive so they will maintain in their current positions as long as they’re not tampered with.

Mess with those screws, and you are messing with the sound designed by the manufacturer.

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,012 of 1,237
  I was able to hear the Dharma at a somewhat recent MD/DC/VA meet, Well Pleased Audio brought it in to sample along with the Athena amp and some other gear. I'm not certain if it was the final release, so that caveat may apply. I really enjoyed them and could certainly live with them, they had a crisp and airy sound quality that was unique and memorable. I could see them being the go-to for strings and/or classical. For the music I prefer (mostly indie rock, indie folk revival, female vocalists, etc.) I like the LCD-X a bit more, it felt a little more confident in its presentation (perhaps more forceful while the Dharma was more delicate). I do like the Dharma better than the HE-560, just a better overall presentation I felt, however the HE-6 (with a powerful amp) is still one of my favorite headphones of all time... just awesome subterranean bass. 

I was there, too and like it quited a bit. It was a prototype. I'd be interested to hear the final version. Coming from a Grado RS1i, my intention is get one upgrade all arounder for my main hifi set-up.

I have a Nuprime DAC-1OH with headphone amp that I use as a preamp for my stereo. My last move is to get one all around fantastic set of cans.

To me the 560 and Dharma would be lateral moves. But, I'd say the same about the LCD-2, Dharma, 560-I'd get on or the other as they are all in the same market as far as I'm concerned each with different flavors. Personally, I don't see the value in having more than one of these cans.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,013 of 1,237
Received my Enigmacoustic headphones yesterday. I am impressed with the packaging,  the very solid build quality, and the on ear comfort. On my head, a more solid  intimate feeling than my Sennheiser 800's. Currently they are breaking in on my system. It will be interesting to compare the two headphones and compare the sound with the Double Helix Silver cable. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,015 of 1,237

No, no….no! Don't yourself this favor!

Those screws that secure the housing which holds the self-polarizing electrostatic diaphragm, are purposely loosened in order to maintain a calculated clearance. Those screws are secured with special adhesive so they will maintain in their current positions as long as they’re not tampered with.

Mess with those screws, and you are messing with the sound designed by the manufacturer.

That's interesting.  The sales director for Enigma Acoustics said nothing of the sort when I told him the audition pair came to me with the screws completely backed out.

I'll send him an email to ask about this looseness by design.  Where did you hear this? 

Edit - in fact two of the screws were fully "tightened".  I've sent an email to Wei Chang (EA's Sales Director) for some input on this.  May be a very important point. 

Thanks! 

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,017 of 1,237
Dec 20, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,019 of 1,237

!0% distortion in the low frequency band?  Wow.  Interesting info and observations regarding the crossover question though.

Tyll's cautious recommendation seems very objective.

I don't hear that but Tyll would know from his measurements..................

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #1,020 of 1,237
I wonder if Tyll's unit had any time on it. 

Observations are apples and oranges when it is new, right out of the box compared to having some time on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back