ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Jan 27, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,111 of 1,237
Great review mangler.  Enjoyed reading it. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,113 of 1,237
Stellar review mangler.  I very much appreciated your rankings and comments and comparisons to the TH900 and LCD-X.

Your review format is ideal.  In fact, when its my turn to review the loaner pair, I will copy and use your same format.

Sincere thanks!

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,115 of 1,237
Mangler, thanks very much for your excellent review. I particularly appreciate your comparisons as in that price range I've been debating LCD-2 or X, HE560 and the Dharma.

I'm thinking it might suit my needs for my dedicated rig as I listen to a lot of metal 60%, alternative/indie/folk and classic rock 20%, classical/symphonic 15% and a small percentage of jazz, electronic and pop 5%.

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #1,116 of 1,237
I believe the reason people hear the bass differently from eachother so much has a lot to do with the different amps. This headphone, while never really a bass canon needs a good pairing. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #1,117 of 1,237
  Mangler, thanks very much for your excellent review. I particularly appreciate your comparisons as in that price range I've been debating LCD-2 or X, HE560 and the Dharma.

I'm thinking it might suit my needs for my dedicated rig as I listen to a lot of metal 60%, alternative/indie/folk and classic rock 20%, classical/symphonic 15% and a small percentage of jazz, electronic and pop 5%.

One thing I remember from all my demos of the Dharma (Socal, Schiit Show, RMAF, CES) is that it was outstanding with metal.  (Personally, I wouldn't bother with the LCD-2 for 60% metal.)

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #1,118 of 1,237
One thing I remember from all my demos of the Dharma (Socal, Schiit Show, RMAF, CES) is that it was outstanding with metal.

I kinda thought the opposite when I had the Dharma (prototype #2) in-house back in August last year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/750437/enigmacoustics-dharma/480#post_11867470

Specifically, my main complaint with the Dharma on metal was the lack of heavy-sounding male vocals along with (the lack of) a thick-sounding bass guitar. That really dragged it down for me when it came to metal.

Admittedly haven't heard the production version yet though....

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #1,119 of 1,237

I kinda thought the opposite when I had the Dharma (prototype #2) in-house back in August last year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/750437/enigmacoustics-dharma/480#post_11867470

Specifically, my main complaint with the Dharma on metal was the lack of heavy-sounding male vocals along with (the lack of) a thick-sounding bass guitar. That really dragged it down for me when it came to metal.

Admittedly haven't heard the production version yet though....

Well, plenty of things could explain that but at the end of the day we all hear differently and listen for different things.  I loved how the pure speed of the treble really brought out all the details on fast, technical metal like AAL, Corelia or Novalo.  I can see how the lack of thick bass might be bad for some kinds of metal but not bad for others.  *shrug*

You still plan on getting a set?  You seemed pretty into them from that review.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #1,120 of 1,237
^ I'm not familiar with those bands at all, but I agree that the Dharma's treble was very nice.

Not so sure I'll be buying a Dharma anymore since the Audio-Technica MSR7 actually kinda does for me what the Dharma did. But maybe I'll still buy it eventually anyway, just not anytime very soon.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,122 of 1,237
My "so far" ramble of  the D1k:

1. I didn't expect the midrange to be this good. Its pretty nicely balanced and some songs sound simply effortless. 
  2. The highs have good texture though they are a tad bright yet not too bright for me.
  3. On the pulse infinity dac the highs make for a really plasticky tonality on some songs, switching to the liquid carbon and it sounds more natural yet not totally correct in pitch/timbre. This is mostly on some poorer recordings but still, it shouldn't sound plasticky like this. Other songs sound just find though. 
  4. They are dynamic, the soundstage is pretty big but it's very hard for me to nail down a description of it right now. Sometimes believe it or not I actually prefer the LCD2.1 soundstage over these sometimes because something is off. Maybe I am just not used to it yet I dunno.... I keep craving a little more openness overall. HEK or HD800 maybe?
  5. At 1199 I would take these over the HEX but I do like the HEX bass a little better though for sure. The edition x bass, while not the last word in slam has a better rumble and sustain. I played the same reggae songs I did with the Edition X as I did on the Dharma and the Dharma failed miserably, especially from the pulse infinity headphone out. The LC was able to make it somewhat enjoyable but nowhere near as enjoyable as the edition x. 
  6. I plugged them into my dusty vintage and the bass gained some better legs but it's not as textured as the hex bass or LCD2.1 bass for that matter. the LCD2.1 has a smoother bass but is stronger and more weighted. 
  7. The sound is overall is pretty engaging and clear.
  8. Good transparency 
  9. I love how the notes sound textured and the transients pop out of the recording, better than the LCD2.1 for sure. 
  10. Tried some bass boosting and it doesn't take long to clip these or get them to distort. I could only add a couple db at 50hz

Honestly though, I reallly like these headphones and will strongly consider purchasing them from Todd Green at that. For some of my music they are stellar yet for trip hop etc they are a bit lacking in the bass slam for me to consider them "all arounders". I wish I had my Omni(not yet finished), DX1000(being modded) and HD650(here monday) here to directly compare. It is a bit frustrating only having a half modded LCD2.1 here as a reference. Both seem on the same level of transparency whilst the LCD2.1 bass is shade more textured and a lot more capable of sustaining a good bassline rumble, the Dharma utterly decimates it on a lot of my Contemporary  vocal centric (christian worship mostly) music. The Dharma is pretty detailed and good at pulling out details once you get past the bass. However I sometimes prefer the wholesomeness  in the midrange the LCD2.1 has because of the ever reaching highs that kinda make it less rich. The highs however have a good crispiness to them. I don't think I have heard treble of this quality before. Most headphones sibilants blend together to give unwanted splashiness when things get busy but these do well so far. Also the treble isn't really hurting my ears.

I love the build on these and don't mind anything about them even if I am in the minority. But I admittedly prefer the more substantially built headphones vs the cheap and plasticky ones. The Dharma is of the former, the tank built and surdy feel.  

I guess the reasons that would keep me from these is the following...
Maybe the HD800S would be easier to eq in the bass to get what I am after? 
Maybe the HEK would sound more open and have a better, more solid - bass foundation?
I could get this and the HD800S for the price of the HEK, plus the HD800S balanced cable fits the Dharma...
I had the Odin as my for sure purchase but it is not available....

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #1,123 of 1,237
  My "so far" ramble of  the D1k:

1. I didn't expect the midrange to be this good. Its pretty nicely balanced and some songs sound simply effortless. 
  2. The highs have good texture though they are a tad bright yet not too bright for me.
  3. On the pulse infinity dac the highs make for a really plasticky tonality on some songs, switching to the liquid carbon and it sounds more natural yet not totally correct in pitch/timbre. This is mostly on some poorer recordings but still, it shouldn't sound plasticky like this. Other songs sound just find though. 
  4. They are dynamic, the soundstage is pretty big but it's very hard for me to nail down a description of it right now. Sometimes believe it or not I actually prefer the LCD2.1 soundstage over these sometimes because something is off. Maybe I am just not used to it yet I dunno.... I keep craving a little more openness overall. HEK or HD800 maybe?
  5. At 1199 I would take these over the HEX but I do like the HEX bass a little better though for sure. The edition x bass, while not the last word in slam has a better rumble and sustain. I played the same reggae songs I did with the Edition X as I did on the Dharma and the Dharma failed miserably, especially from the pulse infinity headphone out. The LC was able to make it somewhat enjoyable but nowhere near as enjoyable as the edition x. 
  6. I plugged them into my dusty vintage and the bass gained some better legs but it's not as textured as the hex bass or LCD2.1 bass for that matter. the LCD2.1 has a smoother bass but is stronger and more weighted. 
  7. The sound is overall is pretty engaging and clear.
  8. Good transparency 
  9. I love how the notes sound textured and the transients pop out of the recording, better than the LCD2.1 for sure. 
  10. Tried some bass boosting and it doesn't take long to clip these or get them to distort. I could only add a couple db at 50hz

Honestly though, I reallly like these headphones and will strongly consider purchasing them from Todd Green at that. For some of my music they are stellar yet for trip hop etc they are a bit lacking in the bass slam for me to consider them "all arounders". I wish I had my Omni(not yet finished), DX1000(being modded) and HD650(here monday) here to directly compare. It is a bit frustrating only having a half modded LCD2.1 here as a reference. Both seem on the same level of transparency whilst the LCD2.1 bass is shade more textured and a lot more capable of sustaining a good bassline rumble, the Dharma utterly decimates it on a lot of my Contemporary  vocal centric (christian worship mostly) music. The Dharma is pretty detailed and good at pulling out details once you get past the bass. However I sometimes prefer the wholesomeness  in the midrange the LCD2.1 has because of the ever reaching highs that kinda make it less rich. The highs however have a good crispiness to them. I don't think I have heard treble of this quality before. Most headphones sibilants blend together to give unwanted splashiness when things get busy but these do well so far. Also the treble isn't really hurting my ears.

I love the build on these and don't mind anything about them even if I am in the minority. But I admittedly prefer the more substantially built headphones vs the cheap and plasticky ones. 

I guess the reasons that would keep me from these is the following...
Maybe the HD800S would be easier to eq in the bass to get what I am after? 
Maybe the HEK would sound more open and have a better, more solid - bass foundation?
I could get this and the HD800S for the price of the HEK, plus the HD800S balanced cable fits the Dharma...
I had the Odin as my for sure purchase but it is not available....

A pad change will help the bass on the Dharma considerably.  When we have our meet you'll hear them with Audeze pads. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,124 of 1,237
A pad change will help the bass on the Dharma considerably.  When we have our meet you'll hear them with Audeze pads. 

I am really considering this headphone... There is a lot to like about it. But it can't be my only end game. It already is ranking above my previous LCD X in terms of preference. Its got good depth, good transients, good speed, nice tonality for the most part, and good space.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #1,125 of 1,237
I am really liking what the Enigmacoustic Dharma headphones do. Speed, great sense of flow, emotion of the music is transmitted.

These headphones really respond to cable changes. I am using the Synergistic Research 8 foot  headphone cable. This cable gives a refined element to the music that is missing with the stock cable. Less grain, less bright with a bigger and deeper soundstage. Worth considering that is for sure.

David Pritchard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back