EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
Jan 30, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #61 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can upsampling have a positive impact on sound quality?

The ASRC method used by the DAC1 is based on the performance of the chip being best at a 110 kHz sample rate......it's set up so no matter what data rate is fed to the input of the DAC1, what goes to the d/a chip itself is a 110 kHz stream, if I understand correctly what I've read on the long DAC1 thread.

There have been many, umm....."lively" discussions about the pros/cons of ASRC on various audio forums over the past few years.

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #62 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr Kaufmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone has a answer or suggestion to my question?

The Beresford is a warmer source than the EMU0404 and has a more expensive quality of sound. The EMU on the other hand, has more details. One can say the Beresford is more musical and the 0404 is more analytical and cold. Both are very good products for the price you paid, and it depends on which sound signature you prefer.

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #64 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I try upsampling with the EMU0404, or is it not as well-implemented?

In general, software upsampling is not a good idea, both with plug-ins and the drivers. With the 0404 USB, it would not improve sound quality.

As sejarzo noted, the Benchmark is somewhat unique in that it upsamples to a very specific frequency in order to get the best performance out of the AD1853 DAC chip. Any higher or lower (ex. 96 kHz or 176.4 kHz) and the performance benefits of the DAC1's upsampling might be lost. IIRC, Elias noted that going any higher than 110 kHz with the AD1853 would introduce a significant amount of aliasing distortion (this problem is specific to the AD1853). This distortion would be much worse than downsampling a higher-sampled signal to 110 kHz, which the DAC1 does. They chose the AD1853 over something more capable of higher sampling rates because the AD1853 had the most linear response throughout the majority of the frequency range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe
I am noticing a "sound" with the EMU0404, but I have no vocabulary for it. It may just be that the DAC1 is able to get more low frequencies out of the K701.

I think it's interesting to note that you feel the 0404 USB imparts its own sound signature, because I (and possibly sejarzo) feel the same way. In my system, it sounds like a resolving DAC, but there seems to be a lower treble brightness and/or a midrange veil, and in general, the frequency response seems slightly skewed toward the high end. A few frequencies in particular have really jabbed my ear like an icepick, which surprised me. Basically, I've found it to be somewhat unforgiving of sibilance in a recording. It has also struck me as fairly aggressive-sounding, and certainly not "warm." This has been my experience with devices containing other AKM DACs as well.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #66 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beresford is a warmer source than the EMU0404 and has a more expensive quality of sound. The EMU on the other hand, has more details. One can say the Beresford is more musical and the 0404 is more analytical and cold. Both are very good products for the price you paid, and it depends on which sound signature you prefer.

Hm.. well, i like clean production which is also "powerful" - you can feel the bass drum/guitar bumping, but with this "clean" touch ... for example - the last Tool album - 10000 Days

Also, i like last two Laibach albums - Volk & WAT - clean, industrial, cold.

Hmmmmm...?

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #67 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nylus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any of you guys think for the same or similar price you could get a better DAC than the E-MU 0404 USB?

Used, maybe, but probably not new. If you have enough free PCI slots and don't mind being limited to your computer, the 1212M is potentially a better option.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #68 of 265
I cant seem to find the EMU 0404 anywhere for less than 200$ shipped. Time and again I see ppl mentioning that it is around 150$. I remember amazon.com once had it for around 160 with free shipping. Any idea where I can find it for that price?

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #69 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Used, maybe, but probably not new. If you have enough free PCI slots and don't mind being limited to your computer, the 1212M is potentially a better option.

Thanks man.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #70 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant seem to find the EMU 0404 anywhere for less than 200$ shipped. Time and again I see ppl mentioning that it is around 150$. I remember amazon.com once had it for around 160 with free shipping. Any idea where I can find it for that price?

E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface - Free Shipping, Lowest Prices on Sound and Recording Cards / Audio Interfaces at Music123

$149.99 with free shipping........you can't beat that!

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #71 of 265
hm... and which DAC would you recommend for, let's say... 300 bucks? Is there going to be any diffirence at all?

People often make comparison between beresford DAC and high end DAC's...

I mean, i just entered this hi-fi world, and i don't see any point in spending 500 or 600$ more for something which is only slightly better... if u understand what i mean...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface - Free Shipping, Lowest Prices on Sound and Recording Cards / Audio Interfaces at Music123

$149.99 with free shipping........you can't beat that!

um... is free shipping valid only for US or...? I'm from Europe...

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #72 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, the price really went up! When I bought one in late December, Amazon had bumped up their price from $159 to $169, and now it's $189.
eek.gif

Guitar Center had a deal last year where the 0404 USB was $150 after rebate, and that's the price that most people still quote.

In addition to Music123, Musician's Friend also has the 0404 USB for $149.99 with free shipping. I think they're the same company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr Kaufman
hm... and which DAC would you recommend for, let's say... 300 bucks? Is there going to be any diffirence at all?

You might consider one of the Zhaolu DACs. Whether or not you'll find it to be an improvement is up to your ears, and also your sense of value (i.e. cost to performance).

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #74 of 265
I can't decide between an 0404pci or an x-fi. I'll use it for gaming and music, BUT the gaming is only SPDIF in from a ps3. I don't play any actual PC games. I'm just not sure if the 0404 will translate the positional audio from the optical as well as a true gaming card.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #75 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr Kaufmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People often make comparison between beresford DAC and high end DAC's...

I mean, i just entered this hi-fi world, and i don't see any point in spending 500 or 600$ more for something which is only slightly better... if u understand what i mean...

um... is free shipping valid only for US or...? I'm from Europe...

Again, it's really your choice on what sound signature you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back