EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
Jan 26, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #16 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
being better than a Benchmark DAC1 is really not saying much at all. The only thing the DAC1 ever had going for it was the balanced output. If you don't need that there are many many DAC's with smoother fuller sound for much less $'s.

I don't need the balanced outputs. What other DACs with "smoother fuller sound for much less" do you know? As you didn't mention the EMU 0404, you probably wouldn't go for it..?

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 265
Who said the EMU0404 is better than a DAC1, and by what standard? I wouldn't be surprised if they're audibly equivalent.
As for "smoothness" or "fullness," you have a computer as source. You can use EQ and DSP to produce various types of distortion.

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #19 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0404 USB is not even close to the best

it's just the result of hype since its price allows it to be accesible to many

What is the best, and why?

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #20 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the best, and why?

there is no best

why? because everyone has different ears

audio hardware reaches a point where preference and taste become the main deciding factor

technically superior may not always necessarily mean most suitable for

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 265
I agree with d-cee. There are some obviously lousy pieces of gear on the low end, and some outshine others in terms of their performance for the price paid (case in point, the Chaintech AV-710.) Last year, it was a relative no-brainer to say that if one had only $35 to spend on a sound card, the AV-710 was "the best option"......not the best in any absolute sense, but we are rarely free to make decisions without any regard to cost, right?

IMHO, as one climbs the price scale, gear sounds more and more alike.....the errors from neutrality become smaller and smaller.....they don't hit the bullseye of "perfect reproduction", but they get closer and closer to it. That makes it easier to choose components with "offsetting errors" that provide what the user feels is the most satisfying or realistic listening experience, depending on one's tastes.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 265
I am also finding hard to believe that the 0404 USB can beat DAC1. How can a 200$ device compete with a 1300$ one? If this is true then everybody buy the 0404 and save 1100$!!

So... changing the question of this thread, what is the best choice to buy with 200$~300$?

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #23 of 265
From the following list, is there a clear winner?

- EMU 0404 USB
- ESI Juli@ soundcard
- Monica II USB
- Onkyo SE-U55SX
- Beresford TC-7510 Mk6/3
- Auzen Prelude 7.1
- KECES PCM2702 USB DAC
- DDDAC
- iBasso D1
- Lecekrton UHA-3
- Go-Vibe Petite
- Headstage Lyrix Pro
- Fubar 3
- Headamp Pico
- RSA Predator
- Trends Audio UD-10
- edirol UA-1EX
- Chaintech AV-710
- Zhaolu D3

- Others...

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 265
Quote:

there is no best

why? because everyone has different ears

audio hardware reaches a point where preference and taste become the main deciding factor

technically superior may not always necessarily mean most suitable for

I agree. I personally would not be willing to spend money on a subjective improvement without understanding the technical reason(s) for it, and I certainly wouldn't spend more money on perceived technical inferiority. If it's as simple as a shift in tonal balance, there are much cheaper ways of accomplishing that.

Jan 26, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #25 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by edba2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the following list, is there a clear winner?...

I think if you re-read our responses, the clear answer is no, there isn't. There are some on the list that are clearly better than others, but we all don't share the same ears or cost-to-benefit philosophy.

This is sort of an exaggeration, but here goes.......I think Sennheiser HD600's are fantastic. Apparently, their frequency response characteristics match my ear/head shape, ear canal geometry, etc. etc. well, and I find them very flat, very accurate in general. Not the slightest bit "veiled", too.

On the other hand......the appeal of Grados escapes me completely. They all sound far less accurate to me, much more "hi-fi", with exaggerated mid-bass, over-sparkly highs, a "hyped" sound--regardless of price point. Maybe they sound "good" on rock, but for classical--no stinkin' way, at least in my book!

But you will find classical listeners who swear by Grado, who think Senn's are hideously veiled/slow/dead/muffled or whatever. Who's right?

When it comes to electronics, the differences are much more subtle than between headphones--but still, it will all come down to what satisfies you most....then buy it, be happy, and enjoy the music without worrying if it's not exactly what others think is best.

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #26 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by edba2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the following list, is there a clear winner?

no, otherwise everyone would use the same equipment

find something that meets your budget, has the features you need and is generally not considered crap and you're most of the way there

the rest of the way is trying to audition your short list and then deciding which one you like best based on hearing them yourself

if not, it is just a matter of buying used and selling until you reach what you're happy with

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 265
Quote:

the rest of the way is trying to audition your short list and then deciding which one you like best based on hearing them yourself

if not, it is just a matter of buying used and selling until you reach what you're happy with

C'est la viv

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
being better than a Benchmark DAC1 is really not saying much at all. The only thing the DAC1 ever had going for it was the balanced output. If you don't need that there are many many DAC's with smoother fuller sound for much less $'s.

and the 0404 USB has balanced outs (TRS 1/4").

It isn't the alpha and omega, but it is possibly the best to be had (new) under $150.

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #30 of 265
Thanks to all.

Since it is not easy for me to listen the soundcards/DACs from this list without buying, I need to keep reading foruns and search for more opinions. I have no money to buy several DACs and perform the tests by myself
frown.gif
. Maybe I buy the EMU 0404 now and next year search again for a better option.

jeremy6044: try the "Edirol UA-1EX USB" for $75 (I can't tell you if this is much better than what you have)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back