Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 10, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #4,981 of 40,664
  well to me the iematch only lowered the volume, but on the opposite side you can raise the volume to whatever levels of your source without any hiss, it did not affect the sound signature at all. 

yes if you for example listen at 50 out of 120 on fiio x7, then it feels like you are listening at 30, but this can easily be overcome by raising the volume of your source to whatever level you like so if you used to listen at 50 now with iematch you will listen at 70, and you can increase it as you like. 

also u can use it with hiss monster amps like alo mk3b which is so powerful and you will barley dial in 10% of its volume with iematch. you will not be able to that without the iematch 

its genius what ifi did 

The IFI iEMatch is an interesting product. In fact, I'm reading more about this accessory as we speak.

However, even though the product is small and light, it looks as though it might cause some handling issues when used on the go. The part where the cable is connected to the iEMatch will be left dangling.

Still, I'll have a look at this product at my local store. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hello, is there a source that produce no hiss with EE Zeus? Portable one.

My quietest portable source is the AK380. There's no hiss with my Zeus XIV.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #4,982 of 40,664
Here's what Jack told me when I asked him about the differences between the BTG and the Whiplash cables:

"They're both SPC. The BTG has a slightly thinner sound, emphasizing more treble whereas the Whiplash has more body due to more low end."

With other phones, I would second that opinion comparing Whiplash with BTG, even with the pure silver Whiplash.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #4,983 of 40,664
Don't get me wrong, the Mini-M8 is a great device! Insanely long battery life, stellar DAC, great balanced output, versatile inputs, iDevice support, and the list goes on. The Mini-M8 can drive pretty much any headphone to peak performance, (except maybe the HE-6) but because of that, even on low gain it has some slight noise issues. The hiss is not unbearable, and it quickly fades into the background depending on what volume levels you listen at, but this is mostly when dealing with the SE output. Once you switch over to the Balanced Output the game changes and the hiss almost goes away completely. But to answer your question, the hiss is related to the design of the Mini-M8, not the Savage-5's.

Side Note 1: I actually redid the install on my Note 5 tonight and upgraded to the Poweramp 3.0 Alpha and now all of my hiss problems on that device are solved, and I can even take full advantage of its built-in DAC (up to 24 bit / 192 kHz output). It is almost like a DAP now!

Side Note 2: I am actually considering selling my Mini-M8 at a pretty low price. I have all the original packaging and accessories, plus a few nice USB cables to go along with it. I just don't use it as much as I used to. Feel free to let me know if you're interested!

- Insan1tyOne
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, InsanityOne. PM sent.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #4,984 of 40,664

The IFI iEMatch is an interesting product. In fact, I'm reading more about this accessory as we speak.

However, even though the product is small and light, it looks as though it might cause some handling issues when used on the go. The part where the cable is connected to the iEMatch will be left dangling.

Still, I'll have a look at this product at my local store. Thanks for the recommendation!

My quietest portable source is the AK380. There's no hiss with my Zeus XIV.

DId you try the AK380 with or without amp ? I haven't tried it without amp, but with amp, there seems to be some hissing going on.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #4,985 of 40,664

DId you try the AK380 with or without amp ? I haven't tried it without amp, but with amp, there seems to be some hissing going on.

I'm using the AK380 without its amp. It's dead silent on its SE output. I've tried this with most of my IEMs, including the Zeus XIV.

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,986 of 40,664
Yeah, that's very true, which is why I always have a DAP with me and won't go anywhere past an iPhone 5 :D

Edit: BTW, to answer the question you asked Malevolent, the reason why I don't use my phone as a transport with a DAC/amp is my tendency to avoid stacks, memory space, and I can't be bothered to constantly go through iTunes's painful syncing routine or manually download songs I purchased on iTunes. I'd much rather drag and drop folders to my DAPs while I plug them to my PC for charging.

Well, yes, that would be possible if the market were to shift 100% into USB-Type-C (hence the words "exclusively only"), but I highly, highly doubt, that the standard 3.5mm TRS jack that has been commonplace since the 50's, would be completely eradicated in favour of USB-Type-C (which, again, AFAIK transmits and receives digital data only, which means the DAC/Amp would be on the cable and your phone/DAP would be a mere transport).

S7 edge might be appealing as it's android (drag and drop folders) so you dont have to use crappy itunes (i hate itunes as well) and it has a micro sd card so you can add space.

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4,987 of 40,664
Hello Everyone,

I was just curious, but what do you all recommend for a desktop DAC / Amp combo (that is on the smaller side) that would pair well with my Savage 5 universals (or any sensitive IEMs)? My budget would be around $600 or less. I want it to have absolutely zero hiss like some of the higher-end DAPs, as my CEntrance Mini-M8 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 just don't cut it and hiss like crazy with my Savage 5's. I haven't been brave enough to plug them into my Mjolnir 2, but I think it probably has too much power to have no hiss with IEMs or I would just use it.

So far I am looking at the:

1.) Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module (Not small, no 3.5mm connection, but no battery which is a big plus.)

2.) Chord Mojo (Small, with an amazing DAC, but requires charging, and isn't balanced.)

Tl;dr - Recommend me the best semi-portable DAC / Amp that has zero hiss with even the most sensitive IEMs. No hiss is the most important factor.

Thanks!

- InsanityOne :ksc75smile:  

Mojo will run as long ss it's plugged in, even from a near totally depleted battery. It will charge as long as it's plugged in.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #4,988 of 40,664
Just wanted to let you all know that my response time may be a little bit slower than usual this upcoming week as Dean and I will be in Japan for Portafes 2016 (12/12-12/19). DJ will be taking my place at the office while i'm gone so please don't hesitate to contact him at DJ@EmpireEars.com. Stay awesome everyone and talk to you all soon!

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #4,989 of 40,664
Just wanted to let you all know that my response time may be a little bit slower than usual this upcoming week as Dean and I will be in Japan for Portafes 2016 (12/12-12/19). DJ will be taking my place at the office while i'm gone so please don't hesitate to contact him at DJ@EmpireEars.com. Stay awesome everyone and talk to you all soon!

Have a good time!

:beerchug:

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #4,990 of 40,664
Enjoy yourself to the max!

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #4,992 of 40,664
Looking to purchase authentic SpnFit tips for my Zeus Adel on order. Where can I purchase online and what are the Japanese Spinfits, by Sarounbi and how do they differ?

I have average size ears so medium would be ok?

Is there a way to size my ears for the best Fit?

I have comply foams in various sizes. What would be similar to the medium SpinFits? Should I just wait until I receive my Zeus?? Which tips come with the Zeus Adel????

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #4,993 of 40,664
Looking to purchase authentic SpnFit tips for my Zeus Adel on order. Where can I purchase online and what are the Japanese Spinfits, by Sarounbi and how do they differ?

I have comply foams in various sizes. What would be similar to the medium SpinFits? Should I just wait until I receive my Zeus?? Which tips come with the Zeus Adel????

There will be no need to purchase any SpinFit tips as they already come with all Empire Ears Universals! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #4,994 of 40,664

Beside Empire Ears check out Dopaminer on eBay under the name corvid5000. He sells the Sarounbi SpinFits as well as Sony Hybrids and JVC Spiral Dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back