Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 9, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #4,936 of 40,675
  I was considering a Mini-M8 but ypur comments about hiss have me concerned. I have 64 Audio A6, pretty sensitive...do you think this is just poor synergy with savage 5 or a more general problem with the Mini-M8 noise floor with iem's, even at low gain.

Thanks!

These are the following gear that I've owned (or demoed/tested) with regards to hiss (Supra II);
RWAK100S + ALO RX MK3B = hiss
RWAK100S + Pico Slim         = no hiss
RWAK100S + Mojo                = no hiss
LG G3                                   = no hiss
PC on board (ALC1150)          = no hiss
QP1R (demo)                        = no hiss
Plenue D (demo)                    = no hiss
Hidizs AP100 (demo)              = no hiss
Cayin N6 (demo)                    = no hiss
AK Jr (demo)                         = no hiss

Not sure how relevant this information is to the Savage series but each person's sensitivity to hiss is also a factor. Best would be for you to demo it or someone with similar equipment but even then it may not be accurate to your own perception.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #4,937 of 40,675
Now you're making me even more excited in getting the Supra-ADEL.
biggrin.gif

Before I got the Supra's I was using the Audio Technica ATH-IM02. 2 BA too like the Supra but it was so neutral and flat, almost reference to a fault. Not that it wasn't great in it's own right, it was actually a very competent IEM. But when I heard the Supra's, OMG, what a world of difference. Suddenly the music felt alive without losing the details that the IM02 was good at. The first thing that hits you is the bass (unless you're coming from DD or a basshead type IEM). It's just surreal that this thing has only 2 BAs.

With regards to ADEL, my only experience with it was when I auditioned the U10 and U12. At that time, it was such an awesome tech that allowed you to enjoy ALL the music at a much lower volume. So I'm just curious as to what the ADEL tech would bring out of the Supra especially with the new modules available, since I only auditioned the S1 when they first launched publicly after the kickstarter campaign.

@Rin1990,  patiently awaiting your impressions. Mana the rest of the line up :p

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #4,938 of 40,675
Before I got the Supra's I was using the Audio Technica ATH-IM02. 2 BA too like the Supra but it was so neutral and flat, almost reference to a fault. Not that it wasn't great in it's own right, it was actually a very competent IEM. But when I heard the Supra's, OMG, what a world of difference. Suddenly the music felt alive without losing the details that the IM02 was good at. The first thing that hits you is the bass (unless you're coming from DD or a basshead type IEM). It's just surreal that this thing has only 2 BAs.

With regards to ADEL, my only experience with it was when I auditioned the U10 and U12. At that time, it was such an awesome tech that allowed you to enjoy ALL the music at a much lower volume. So I'm just curious as to what the ADEL tech would bring out of the Supra especially with the new modules available, since I only auditioned the S1 when they first launched publicly after the kickstarter campaign.

@Rin1990
,  patiently awaiting your impressions. Mana the rest of the line up :p

I am not sure how many of the ADEL models will be available to audition this month but I'll try my best regardless.

Currently I am focusing on the Campfire Audio's full range.

So far I am most impressed by Andromeda, not tried the Vega and Jupiter yet.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #4,939 of 40,675

These are the following gear that I've owned (or demoed/tested) with regards to hiss (Supra II);
RWAK100S + ALO RX MK3B = hiss
RWAK100S + Pico Slim         = no hiss
RWAK100S + Mojo                = no hiss
LG G3                                   = no hiss
PC on board (ALC1150)          = no hiss
QP1R (demo)                        = no hiss
Plenue D (demo)                    = no hiss
Hidizs AP100 (demo)              = no hiss
Cayin N6 (demo)                    = no hiss
AK Jr (demo)                         = no hiss

Not sure how relevant this information is to the Savage series but each person's sensitivity to hiss is also a factor. Best would be for you to demo it or someone with similar equipment but even then it may not be accurate to your own perception.

Very helpful, xtr4, thanks. I agree that only quiet, personal listening can answer this question for each of us, but your comments help point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #4,940 of 40,675
I am not sure how many of the ADEL models will be available to audition this month but I'll try my best regardless.

Currently I am focusing on the Campfire Audio's full range.

So far I am most impressed by Andromeda, not tried the Vega and Jupiter yet.

Great that you can audition some good gear.

Andromeda is superb. Airy, shimmery treble and sweet mids, just the bass is unmistakably BA.

Would this and Zeus R sound similar, or is the R in another ballpark altogether?

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #4,941 of 40,675
Great that you can audition some good gear.

Andromeda is superb. Airy, shimmery treble and sweet mids, just the bass is unmistakably BA.

Would this and Zeus R sound similar, or is the R in another ballpark altogether?

The Zeus-R, from my memory is better than Andromeda but in terms of soundstage, the Andromeda edges a bit ahead than Zeus-R.

And yes, the Andromeda's soundstage is that insane...

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #4,942 of 40,675
I was considering a Mini-M8 but ypur comments about hiss have me concerned. I have 64 Audio A6, pretty sensitive...do you think this is just poor synergy with savage 5 or a more general problem with the Mini-M8 noise floor with iem's, even at low gain?

Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, the Mini-M8 is a great device! Insanely long battery life, stellar DAC, great balanced output, versatile inputs, iDevice support, and the list goes on. The Mini-M8 can drive pretty much any headphone to peak performance, (except maybe the HE-6) but because of that, even on low gain it has some slight noise issues. The hiss is not unbearable, and it quickly fades into the background depending on what volume levels you listen at, but this is mostly when dealing with the SE output. Once you switch over to the Balanced Output the game changes and the hiss almost goes away completely. But to answer your question, the hiss is related to the design of the Mini-M8, not the Savage-5's.

Side Note 1: I actually redid the install on my Note 5 tonight and upgraded to the Poweramp 3.0 Alpha and now all of my hiss problems on that device are solved, and I can even take full advantage of its built-in DAC (up to 24 bit / 192 kHz output). It is almost like a DAP now!

Side Note 2: I am actually considering selling my Mini-M8 at a pretty low price. I have all the original packaging and accessories, plus a few nice USB cables to go along with it. I just don't use it as much as I used to. Feel free to let me know if you're interested!

- Insan1tyOne :)

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #4,943 of 40,675
So, uh, which address are people sending their impressions to? On the website "Ear Impressions" section it gives the Norcross Georgia address, but on the "impressions instruction" form it gives a Buford Georgia address....

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #4,944 of 40,675
So, uh, which address are people sending their impressions to? On the website "Ear Impressions" section it gives the Norcross Georgia address, but on the "impressions instruction" form it gives a Buford Georgia address....

As far as I know, this is the (new) address where you should send them to:

Empire Ears
5600 Oakbrook Parkway
Suite 100
Norcross, Georgia 30093

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #4,946 of 40,675
Zeus XR Adel vs Andromedia?

Zeus XR Adel with Mojo vs QP1R?

not a fair comparison....its a heaven and earth difference in performance, not withstanding the price difference too....

A more valid comparison would be the andromedia to the Hermes if you are looking at performance, or to the Athena if its price. 

I cant comment on the Mojo vs QP1R tho, having never ever extensively compared either. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #4,947 of 40,675
Zeus XR Adel vs Andromedia?

Zeus XR Adel with Mojo vs QP1R?

After listening to Andromeda today, and from my memory of Zeus-R (Non-Adel), the ADEL version will likely be better than Andromeda in many areas, Because the only thing Andromeda did very teeny slightly better than Zeus-R is the wider soundstage. Everything else, the Zeus-R still sounds better to my ears.

Looking back, I am not certain if Hermes-ADEL is considered a fair match to the Andromeda, let alone Athena-ADEL or Zeus-XR ADEL.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #4,948 of 40,675
After listening to Andromeda today, and from my memory of Zeus-R (Non-Adel), the ADEL version will likely destroy Andromeda in almost every aspect, Because the only thing Andromeda did very teeny slightly better than Zeus-R is the wider soundstage. Everything else, the Zeus-R still dominates to my ears.

Looking back, I am not even sure if Hermes-ADEL is considered a fair match to the Andromeda, let alone Athena-ADEL or Zeus-XR ADEL.
I have not heard the Andromeda but I know the Zeus well and from all the Andromeda review this seems exaggerated...

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #4,949 of 40,675
I have not heard the Andromeda but I know the Zeus well and from all the Andromeda review this seems exaggerated...

Okay, maybe I am being hyperbolic there...but to put it on a normal way, the Zeus does sound better than Andromeda, with only soundstage losing out a tiny bit. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #4,950 of 40,675
All this speculation about ADEL version, can start a hype train and could mislead people. Although ADEL improves the airiness and separation on the already impressive Zeus, it doesn't transform the IEM into a whole new beast, but rather, what you have is, another variant of the IEM, with certain differences in presentation. In fact there could be people who might prefer the non-ADEL over the ADEL version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back