Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Jan 18, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #677 of 903
To be totally honest, other than Sabre chips, most "premium" DAC chips sound quite similar - and quite neutral. Because of this, in most cases, things like the power supply, and the other details of the implementation, make more of a difference than the specific DAC chip we use. The DAC chip itself is not going to be the biggest factor in terms of how the entire unit sounds. And so, because our design goal here at Emotiva is generally neutral and accurate sound, and both of those deliver pretty well on that goal, it's going to be rather difficult to characterize the differences - and they are pretty subtle. (I haven't actually compared them directly side by side. However, because the DC-1 is a dedicated DAC, and has a lot more sophisticated power supply, I would expect it to win - but only by a little.)  

Quote:
  The AKM DAC chip seems to be pretty popular, how does it sound compared to the DC-1?

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #678 of 903
  To be totally honest, other than Sabre chips, most "premium" DAC chips sound quite similar - and quite neutral. Because of this, in most cases, things like the power supply, and the other details of the implementation, make more of a difference than the specific DAC chip we use. The DAC chip itself is not going to be the biggest factor in terms of how the entire unit sounds. And so, because our design goal here at Emotiva is generally neutral and accurate sound, and both of those deliver pretty well on that goal, it's going to be rather difficult to characterize the differences - and they are pretty subtle. (I haven't actually compared them directly side by side. However, because the DC-1 is a dedicated DAC, and has a lot more sophisticated power supply, I would expect it to win - but only by a little.)  

Quote:
  The AKM DAC chip seems to be pretty popular, how does it sound compared to the DC-1?

Thanks for the update! Really dig the changes you guys made with the new line. I've been looking to get a pair of towers for a long time, so I'm really excited you guys brought back the passive line! 
popcorn.gif

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #682 of 903
  Any one knows what the specs are on the headphone out of DC1 ? 

They don't seem to mention it in the manual

I have this from Keith,

DC-1 Headphone Output specs:  :xf_cool:
Headphone Amplifier Output Power (from digital sources):
(note: DC-1 has two independent headphone outputs; measurements are for each) 
2.5 VRMS max into 10 Ohms @ < 0.01% THD (625 mW)
7.1 VRMS max into 47 Ohms @ < 0.02% THD (1070 mW)
7.26 VRMS max into 100 Ohms @ < 0.02% THD (525 mW)
7.32 VRMS max into 300 Ohms @ < 0.02% THD (175 mW)
7.35 VRMS max into 600 Ohms @ < 0.02% THD (90 mW)

Headphone Amplifier Output Power (from analog input):
(note: 2.5 VRMS analog input required for full output into 47 ohms or higher)
2.5 VRMS max into 10 Ohms @ < 0.003% THD (625 mW)
7.1 VRMS max into 47 Ohms @ < 0.003% THD (1070 mW)
7.2 VRMS max into 100 Ohms @ < 0.006% THD (510 mW)
9.23 VRMS max into 300 Ohms @ < 0.004% THD (280 mW)
9.27 VRMS max into 600 Ohms @ < 0.007% THD (140 mW)

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #683 of 903
  I have this from Keith,

DC-1 Headphone Output specs:  :xf_cool:
Headphone Amplifier Output Power (from digital sources):
(note: DC-1 has two independent headphone outputs; measurements are for each) 
2.5 VRMS max into 10 Ohms @ < 0.01% THD (625 mW)
7.1 VRMS max into 47 Ohms @ < 0.02% THD (1070 mW)
7.26 VRMS max into 100 Ohms @ < 0.02% THD (525 mW)
7.32 VRMS max into 300 Ohms @ < 0.02% THD (175 mW)
7.35 VRMS max into 600 Ohms @ < 0.02% THD (90 mW)

Headphone Amplifier Output Power (from analog input):
(note: 2.5 VRMS analog input required for full output into 47 ohms or higher)
2.5 VRMS max into 10 Ohms @ < 0.003% THD (625 mW)
7.1 VRMS max into 47 Ohms @ < 0.003% THD (1070 mW)
7.2 VRMS max into 100 Ohms @ < 0.006% THD (510 mW)
9.23 VRMS max into 300 Ohms @ < 0.004% THD (280 mW)
9.27 VRMS max into 600 Ohms @ < 0.007% THD (140 mW)

Thanks!
It is almost equal to Schiit Magni in terms of output power.(Magni being 1.2W at 32 Ohm)

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #684 of 903
I just got one of these and boy do I already love it. Has anybody else had trouble connecting it to there MacBook Pro through USB? I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.3. When I plug the unit into my Early 2011 MBP nothing happens. I have a Schiit Fulla USB DAC as well and that works just fine. I plug it in and it shows up as an output option and in the midi settings window. With the Emotiva DC-1 it does not show up anywhere. Anybody else?

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #685 of 903
Every so often, yes. Try restarting your computer. Turn off the DAC. Start again. Mine says "speaker" for some reason. Right click or control/click and choose "use device for sound output". Every so often it doesn't work. But I can usually figure it out. Not sure why.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #686 of 903

I have tried rebooting the computer but not the amp. I will try starting the computer fresh. Connecting the DAC. Turning it on and see if i can get it. I am going to try it with a PC with windows and drivers to rule out i got a faulty USB on the DAC itself tonight when I get home from work.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #687 of 903
It happened to me a few times, so hopefully it's fine. I have a similar issue with another dac, but once I got the order right it was all good. I think it's more likely a firmware thing. It needs it to happen a certain way. Maybe Keith can chime in.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #688 of 903

I have tried rebooting the computer but not the amp. I will try starting the computer fresh. Connecting the DAC. Turning it on and see if i can get it. I am going to try it with a PC with windows and drivers to rule out i got a faulty USB on the DAC itself tonight when I get home from work.

Have you tried checking out the Emotiva forums?
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/

I run Linux and it was plug and play for me, never a hiccup.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #689 of 903

I have browsed the forums, there is defiantly issues with the audio usb drivers in OS X El Capitan and a lot of people are having problems with a specific list of DACs. I am not sure what the resolution is but i thought maybe somebody found a workaround. I have two ideas 1) use the optical out on my mac book pro into the optical in on the DAC (though there is only one opt in the rest are other digital connectors) or run dual boot/VM of windows and work that way. Either way I was wondering if anybody has heard anything about this or experienced it with the Stealth DC-1

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #690 of 903
The DC-1 uses USB Audio Class 2 (UAC2), while many DACs like the Fulla are UAC1.

UAC1 DACs will work without drivers with Apple or Windows computers, but are more or less limited to 96k.
UAC2 DACs will work without drivers for Apple computers, but need drivers for Windows, but can support higher sample rates.
Most DAC are either one or the other; some, like the Emotiva Ego DACs, can be either.

However, as for this discussion, we do know that some older (pre-2010) Apple computers don't work with our DC-1 and XDA-2 DACs. We believe this is either because they don't support UAC2 at all, or just don't work with certain UAC2 chip sets, and we also don't know if it's strictly O/S related or if it involves some of the older Apple hardware. However, as you already noted, Toslink should work just fine. (Note, however, that the Toslink ports on most APple computers are limited to 96k.)

Quote:

I have browsed the forums, there is defiantly issues with the audio usb drivers in OS X El Capitan and a lot of people are having problems with a specific list of DACs. I am not sure what the resolution is but i thought maybe somebody found a workaround. I have two ideas 1) use the optical out on my mac book pro into the optical in on the DAC (though there is only one opt in the rest are other digital connectors) or run dual boot/VM of windows and work that way. Either way I was wondering if anybody has heard anything about this or experienced it with the Stealth DC-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back