Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Nov 22, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #646 of 903
  I also had some concerns about the heat as have others. If you go here,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/644467/emotiva-stealth-dc-1-dac/525#post_11701955
You can read what Keith from Emotiva has to say on the issue,

also a little later,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/644467/emotiva-stealth-dc-1-dac/525#post_11720865
is a post by me discussing how I addressed it.

But even now I if I shut my computer down I will turn the DC-1 fully off. To avoid confusing the computers hardware detection turn the DC-1 off after the computer has shut down and back on again before booting the computer up.

Actually, scan that whole page, couple other good additions on the subject.

I turn off my power strip every night, so all my electronics including the DC-1 turn off completely at night. My Airmotiv 5S's actually pop each time I do that but I was assured that was normal. 

I use my DC-1 at home, and at college. At home, it rests upon my desktop. Since my case is a HAF X, the DC-1 gets 2x200mm fans blowing right under it. It never gets warm to the touch, so it is running real cool. But at college, the placement is not restrictive but not very open. Add the fact my dorm room is always warm, no matter if it is 40f degrees outside with the window open, it definitely runs warm. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #647 of 903
At the dorm I'd put a little something under the corners to raise it just so it gets some airflow under it and up those cooling slots on the bottom. IAK Keith says it will be just fine.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #648 of 903
  Hey Keith I have a question regarding the DC-1's standby mode.

When I turn it off via the remote or volume button, I notice that the Stealth still runs warm to the touch over the heat sink hours after I have turned it off. Is it still consuming a lot of power when it is in standby? And how can I tell if the Stealth DC-1 is running too hot? Is there a safety feature built in?  

When you turn the DC-1 off using either the remote or the volume knob, but leave the rear-panel switch on, it's in Standby mode. In this mode, the front panel is off, but everything else remains running and warmed up - so it will stay about the same temperature as when it's "fully on". The DC-1 is supposed to run somewhat warm, especially above the regulators (regulators in linear power supplies make heat). As long as it isn't actually really uncomfortable to touch the top, everything is fine (just don't block the vents).

(There are in fact safety protections against overheating, but they only take effect if something is really wrong.)

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #649 of 903
I've had the dc-1 for a while. I can vouch that it sounds great in my desktop 2.1 setup. Since it has both xlr and unbalanced setup, I used the xlr output to my emotive stealth 8 speakers and the unbalanced to my Svs sb13 ultra.

It's awesome. Usually in my other setup, I couldn't feel a depth of vocals and instruments. But with my current setup, I can definitely feel that the singer is in front while the instruments are the background.

Another plus is that the dc-1 plays nicely with the current generation of airport express 2nd gen (like an Apple TV size). Other dac/preamp combo didn't, so I had to replace with dc-1. No regrets! Especially at 20% of the price of my bmc puredac.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #650 of 903
Since it has both xlr and unbalanced setup, I used the xlr output to my emotive stealth 8 speakers and the unbalanced to my Svs sb13 ultra.

Stealth 8's and an SVS SB13 Ultra, damn! 

I am running that same configuration, but with my Emotiva Airmotiv 5S and the Presonus T10. I might get an SVS SB2000 later on. How do you like your subwoofer? I want to try sealed as I only listen to music.

I love my setup, but yours must be truly special to listen to. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #651 of 903
  Stealth 8's and an SVS SB13 Ultra, damn! 

I am running that same configuration, but with my Emotiva Airmotiv 5S and the Presonus T10. I might get an SVS SB2000 later on. How do you like your subwoofer? I want to try sealed as I only listen to music.

I love my setup, but yours must be truly special to listen to. 

The subwoofer is great, tight and fast bass. It's really an overkill if you just listen to music, but I play games on my desktop occasionally (at least I'd to justify my purchase by making myself believe I have a use for the SVS sub... lol)

For 5s, its very good as well. So it really depends if you really want the subwoofer upgrade. I'd suggest you ask yourself, how much trouble and money are you willing to go through for the extra "upgrade".

The time for you to sell your subwoofer (assuming you don't have use for the Presonus T10), the time for you to purchase, pick up the shipment and setup you new SVS SB2000. Plus the cost of course.

For music, it depends on the type of music that you listen to. Is it bass heavy? If so, then probably you can justify it. If not, then you can justify the upgrade in your own way (like i did, lol)

Though on the other hand, Christmas is coming, so there's no harm in treating yourself with some new shiny toys ^^

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #652 of 903
My DC-1 arrived this afternoon and installation went without a hitch.  I'm using it's balanced outputs to my Liquid Carbon.  As a DAC I didn't expect much sonic difference between it and my Modi 2 U. So far this appears to be the case. 

I was surprised to find that the DC-1 headphone outputs apprise themselves quite well into my HE400Ss.

Still in the early stages but I think the DC-1 is a keeper.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #653 of 903
  My DC-1 arrived this afternoon and installation went without a hitch.  I'm using it's balanced outputs to my Liquid Carbon.  As a DAC I didn't expect much sonic difference between it and my Modi 2 U. So far this appears to be the case. 

I was surprised to find that the DC-1 headphone outputs apprise themselves quite well into my HE400Ss.

Congrats on the DC-1.

Can you please compare the headphone amps on the DC-1 to the Liquid Carbon?

THE DC-1 is the only headamp I have ever heard, and I am curious to know how it stacks up to the "big players" in the headamp world.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #654 of 903

The built in amps are quite nice... I'd say pretty amazing when paired with a dual mono DAC for under $500.

Definitely interested to hear what you think of it v. the LC.  I've definitely found myself interested in that.  (just have too much gear not getting used... or on the way... thx LHLabs... to get something more)

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #655 of 903
You guys buying the DC-1 at the current sale price of $400 are stealing them.   LOL

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #656 of 903
  The subwoofer is great, tight and fast bass. It's really an overkill if you just listen to music, but I play games on my desktop occasionally (at least I'd to justify my purchase by making myself believe I have a use for the SVS sub... lol)

For 5s, its very good as well. So it really depends if you really want the subwoofer upgrade. I'd suggest you ask yourself, how much trouble and money are you willing to go through for the extra "upgrade".

The time for you to sell your subwoofer (assuming you don't have use for the Presonus T10), the time for you to purchase, pick up the shipment and setup you new SVS SB2000. Plus the cost of course.

For music, it depends on the type of music that you listen to. Is it bass heavy? If so, then probably you can justify it. If not, then you can justify the upgrade in your own way (like i did, lol)

Though on the other hand, Christmas is coming, so there's no harm in treating yourself with some new shiny toys ^^

Do a bass boost of around 9db. Google the JBL curve. It's awesome for most music.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #657 of 903

Congrats on the DC-1.

Can you please compare the headphone amps on the DC-1 to the Liquid Carbon?

THE DC-1 is the only headamp I have ever heard, and I am curious to know how it stacks up to the "big players" in the headamp world.

You may have asked the wrong person. I seldom hear any difference between amps. Headphones, yes, amps, not so much. When I received the LC I compared it to my Schiit Asgard 2 and after volume matching really could not differentiate between the two.

That said, this morning I compared the DC-1 headphone outputs to the open ended outputs of the LC. Using my X2s, AKG 712s and AKG Q701s and HE400S.  All these headphones are low impedance and efficient, so the DC-1 drives them very well.

Driving the DC-1, using a CD transport into the coax input I was unable to hear a difference between the DC-1 and the LC. I'm using the balanced outputs of the DC-1 driving the LC.

The DC-1 will struggle a bit trying to drive high impedance headphones so I did not use my Beyer 880/660, HD650s or HD800s. Both my Sennheisers have balanced cables, so I'll be using them exclusively with the LC. The Beyer 880 /600 driven by my Valhalla 2 are my go-to setup for classical music.

I studied the headphone output specifications of the DC-1 last night and it's THD from digital sources is not up to par with some other amps. But if the higher THD effected the sound quality I didn't hear it. 

It is interesting to note that the THD of the DC-1 using the analog inputs is significantly better, and on par with other amps. It also provides slightly more power into high impedance headphones, using the analog inputs. Perhaps Keith will jump in and explain why that is the case. 

In conclusion, to my ears at least, the DC-1 performs admirably, driving efficient, low impedance headphones. Combined with all the other features I would say that the DC-1 is an excellent "one box" solution for the HeadFier using efficient , low impedance headphones and powered monitors.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #659 of 903
I found it didn't have any problems with the hd650s

That may very well be the case. As my 650s have balanced cables I wasn't able to try them on the DC-1. 

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back