Edition 9 non evasive tweak
May 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dan Millheim

100+ Head-Fier
3554796120_aff98108b6.jpg

Anyone ever use wood veneer strips to line the inside of their Edition 9's (or any headphone for that matter) into a wood cup? I have experimented with a variety of different wood veneer types and found using an infused polymer based backing, I am able to get density and dampening for such a thin wood veneer while keeping the wood flexible enough to manipulate inside the ear pad to form the "woodie" effect.

This tweak is non-invasive and can be taken out at anytime.

Increases tonality and SQ resonance...amazing!
Increases instrumental placement/separation and "air" within the overall SQ.

I would be interested in others trying this tweak or variations on this tweak and posting their findings...if any? Thank You.

May 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you have a layout sketch of exactly what you did?

Interested in a non-invasive experiment, especially now since I have two of these.

Has anyone noticed any color differences between UE9 ear cups leathers? My first one which has not number on it and is two years old is black while the second one is clearly a very dark burgundy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3554796120_aff98108b6.jpg

Anyone ever use wood veneer strips to line the inside of their Edition 9's (or any headphone for that matter) into a wood cup? I have experimented with a variety of different wood veneer types and found using an infused polymer based backing, I am able to get density and dampening for such a thin wood veneer while keeping the wood flexible enough to manipulate inside the ear pad to form the "woodie" effect.

This tweak is non-invasive and can be taken out at anytime.

Increases tonality and SQ resonance...amazing!
Increases instrumental placement/separation and "air" within the overall SQ.

I would be interested in others trying this tweak or variations on this tweak and posting their findings...if any? Thank You.

May 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Do you have a layout sketch of exactly what you did?

Remember when everyone was experimenting with cut lengths of power cord wire...etc., placed inside the ED9, to allow more room for ears? This got me thinking of what if you could increase the space while providing some form of sonic benefit? Well, the wood veneer tweak does both. Instead of the wire, use a strip of veneered wood on edge.

Cut the length of the Veneer to around 10 inches.
Cut the width of the Veneer to around 1/2 and inch.

Harder based wood veneers will crack when you start to manipulate them so I soaked them in water for around 30 min. Then I started to bend them slowly into a circle around 3 inches across and used a paper clip to hold in place while it dries.

Then I removed the paper clip and painted one side of the veneer strip with liquid concrete- it's a kind of polymer based epoxy that is very dense and great for killing vibration.

Note: Liquid concrete doesn't dry like hard concrete but like a very dry yet highly flexible rubber like glue. Again, this gives the thin veneer more strength and density while supporting it when bending further to fit inside the ear cup of the ED9.

To insert: take one end of the treated veneer strip (untreated wood exposed or facing out) and start to push it in with your fingers around the inside farthest edge of the E9's ear pad and make the circle...just like the wire tweak. The weight of the ear pad will keep it formed in a circle. Hope this helps? If anyone tries this please tell me what your're hearing.

For me it really helped give some added SQ resonance and tonality to an otherwise wonderful headphone.

May 22, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 5
Damn, I wish I had tried something like this before I sold my pair. One of the issues I had with the ED9 was that the distance of the drivers to one's ears wasn't far enough. I get the impression this is fixed with the ED8's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back