Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jun 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,291 of 2,605
Can you describe the differences with the HD800 or AD2000? I feel like I'm already cheating on the ZDSE I don't have in my possession yet lol, but both of these amps are raved about with the Senn...

-Daniel

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #1,292 of 2,605
At this point no but I as i recall the Luxman is a bit smoother and more fluid and the Zana Deux is more transparent with a low noise level that brings up the music dynamically up out of darkness like fingers.  This can cause a less smooth effect.  Both are very enjoyable.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #1,293 of 2,605
The Luxman is known for it's blackground-I hope the Zana is at least it's equal in that regard. Smoothness is overrated in my book-it needs to be smooth yes, but just smooth, not too smooth imo. Obviously this is one for the ZD's strengths, and I have a feeling the Zana is slightly more detailed and revealing, without giving up it's smooth character. I might just go a little bit crazy and buy them both *gulp*, but my biggest fear is that they would be a little redundant. Decisions decisions. I'll be getting the ZDSE for sure though, but the P1-u is tempting me as well.

-Daneil

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #1,295 of 2,605
Yesterday I was listening to my Zana Deux SE through my headphones and after about a 1/2 hour the left channel would increase in volume about 5 dB for about 1 sec. then back to normal. It does this about 5 times then the sound returns to normal for 5 minutes. Then it happens again. Sometimes the volume of the sound fluctuates up to 5x in about a minute and sometimes only 2x--there is no pattern. Once it starts, the fluctuation in volume does not go away.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #1,296 of 2,605
Yesterday I was listening to my Zana Deux SE through my headphones and after about a 1/2 hour the left channel would increase in volume about 5 dB for about 1 sec. then back to normal. It does this about 5 times then the sound returns to normal for 5 minutes. Then it happens again. Sometimes the volume of the sound fluctuates up to 5x in about a minute and sometimes only 2x--there is no pattern. Once it starts, the fluctuation in volume does not go away.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Thanks.

I would try to isolate the issue by first making sure that the problem is not coming from the source. Try a different amp and if you don't hear the problem, then it is either your amp or headphones. I would then swap tubes from left to right, one set at a time (rectifier and power tubes) to see if the issue jumps from the left to the right channel. If it does, then you have a bad tube. If the issue still persists, you may need to change the 6SL7 tube. Another possibility is that you have a bad connection at the pins of the amp, umbilical cord or power supply. When I had my ZD SE, I spent hours on the phone with Craig troubleshooting my issue which ended up being a bad pin connection inside the amp. I had ring out each pin with Craig's guidance to find the problem. Hopefully, your issue is just a bad tube. Good luck.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #1,297 of 2,605
Quote:
I would try to isolate the issue by first making sure that the problem is not coming from the source. Try a different amp and if you don't hear the problem, then it is either your amp or headphones. I would then swap tubes from left to right, one set at a time (rectifier and power tubes) to see if the issue jumps from the left to the right channel. If it does, then you have a bad tube. If the issue still persists, you may need to change the 6SL7 tube. Another possibility is that you have a bad connection at the pins of the amp, umbilical cord or power supply. When I had my ZD SE, I spent hours on the phone with Craig troubleshooting my issue which ended up being a bad pin connection inside the amp. I had ring out each pin with Craig's guidance to find the problem. Hopefully, your issue is just a bad tube. Good luck.

Thanks!

I did swap out the ZD SE with a Woo Audio Amp and then a DNA amp and the problem went away with both amps. Tonight I will begin to go through your check list to isolate the problem.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,298 of 2,605
I just got a pair of ATH-W3000ANV and have all but pulled the trigger on the Zana Deux SE.  Considering price, space, etc, I'm wondering whether it might be better to have something that can also drive speakers.  How well do these units compare to the Zana?  Compared to say, the Balancing Act, 2A3, Mapleshade restored vintage, Bottlehead amps, etc?  I'm new to the forums, but have been reading a lot of the posts and threads here. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,299 of 2,605
I'm kind of having the same dilemma. I am set to pay Craig my first deposit on Monday, but the speaker possibilities of the 2A3 are taunting me. But I'm mainly curious about how a balanced HD 800 on the 2A3 compared to the single-ended ZDSE? Assuming the 2A3 is similar to the previous ZDT, perhaps HeadephoneAddict can chime in. :wink: Larry??

-Daniel

1000th post! Basically asking how I should blow my current $2500 budget to amp the HD 800s.
L3000.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #1,300 of 2,605
Quote:
I'm kind of having the same dilemma. I am set to pay Craig my first deposit on Monday, but the speaker possibilities of the 2A3 are taunting me. But I'm mainly curious about how a balanced HD 800 on the 2A3 compared to the single-ended ZDSE? Assuming the 2A3 is similar to the previous ZDT, perhaps HeadephoneAddict can chime in. :wink: Larry??

-Daniel
1000th post! Basically asking how I should blow my current $2500 budget to amp the HD 800s.
L3000.gif

The 2A3 is going to use the new C-Core transformers which will sound very clear, liquid.  It'll be a different sound from what people have gotten used to but enhance all the great technicalities and transparency and then some.  For example, if you thought the HD800 had a digital, tizzy metallic bite to cymbals prepare to say goodbye to that.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,301 of 2,605
Quote:

The 2A3 is going to use the new C-Core transformers which will sound very clear, liquid.  It'll be a different sound from what people have gotten used to but enhance all the great technicalities and transparency and then some.  For example, if you thought the HD800 had a digital, tizzy metallic bite to cymbals prepare to say goodbye to that.

How do you feel the 2A3/HD 800 (balanced) will sound vs with the ZDSE? Is the 2A3 'truly' balanced, whatever that means? And no-don't try to sell me on the S7 lol.

-Daniel

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,302 of 2,605
Quote:
  How do you feel the 2A3/HD 800 (balanced) will sound vs with the ZDSE? Is the 2A3 'truly' balanced, whatever that means? And no-don't try to sell me on the S7 lol.

-Daniel

Craig does balanced ground which is true balanced in technical terms but audiophile balanced is a bridged version where each channel is basically it's own amp section so L/R never cross pollinate doing the same thing but potentially doubling output power.  He doesn't do that type of balanced in the S7/2A3 or BA for his own reasons some agree/disagree with.  

I've only heard the prototype 2A3 and the prototype C-cores but neither together as that hasn't materialized yet.  The production C-cores were just finished about a week ago which spec better than the prototypes I hear.  So I can't really offer you much of a comparison, sorry, only the signature of what the new transformers sound like versus old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back