Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics
Oct 13, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #76 of 101

Quote:

Apologies for getting slightly off topic, but why can't you run PX4s on the BA with your HD800s?  Is it just too much for your tastes, or is there an electronics reason behind that?

Just the 300Bs have a slightly thicker sound which I feel the HD800s need. Overall I do think the PX4 are much more awesome than the EML 300Bs I'm running. The KRs are harmonically rich, very clear, extremely fast, and extended and explosive bass. The PX4s sound great with HP1000s and LCD2s. kiertijai, as he mentioned above, obviously prefers the midrange voodoo of the WE 300Bs with his LCD2s. It really comes down to personal preference.

The PX4s I brought were Chinese made Sophias. They sound like crap compared to the KRs (which were currently not available a few months ago - supposedly because they shut down their factory during summer because of lack of A/C.) The Chinese Sophia PX4s have the clarity and speed, but lack the bass extension of richness of the KRs.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #77 of 101
^Oh man, you mean I wasn't even listening to the KRs with your BA, those were the Sophia PX4's?

Would like to hear the KR PX4s.

I like the option of those different tubes and presentations with the same amp.

I could see myself going back and forth depending on how I feel or what I am listening to.

My preferences have already been changing and often change throughout a night of listening.

EDIT:  Sorry for BA talk in the Super 7 thread.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #78 of 101
Yup. What you listened to were the crappy Sophia PX4s which are not real PX4s anyways since the internals look suspiciously the like the Sophia 45s. It you went BA, I would get them with the KR PX4s first. You seemed to really prefer the extra clarity and speed.

Quote:
My preferences have already been changing and often change throughout a night of listening.

EDIT:  Sorry for BA talk in the Super 7 thread.

This is what happens to when you go meets with good stuff.

It's all related to EC anyways. It'll probably come back around to the 6SN7s sooner or later.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #80 of 101
^Erm, not yet...

But- I am driving down there next Friday night so I can listen to the Super 7, 2A3, and BA on Saturday...the BA was that good a month ago!

(Of course, I am going to be really happy to buy purrin lunch and just hang out too. 
tongue.gif
)

Any chance I might catch you also?

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #82 of 101
So did everyone who wanted in get their emails before the price goes up $500 tomorrow?
     Is it true?   If so I would write to Craig before I have to order through Jaben and the price will go up.
     However I would like the Super 7 to drive the HD800 or HE6 or AKG K1000 for me, Craig mentioned that
he may get the high output power tube for me or other things I don't really catch his comment to help.   However my BA
is having trouble driving those phones to the level that I need even I increased the output of Weiss Dac202 to
more than 8.   I still feel my previous ZDT is more powerful than the BA in driving those phones although the soundstage
and details are better with the BA

The KRs are harmonically rich, very clear, extremely fast, and extended and explosive bass.
The PX4s sound great with HP1000s and LCD2s
    I agree with that assessment and I think KR PX4 is probably better than my AVVT 32B but I don't have the EML 300B
mesh so I cannot comment.   I still love the magic midrange of the WE 300B but I use the driver like Tungsol BGRP
or Sylvania 6SN7W to do the dynamic part for me and if I want to open up the treble I used the ECC33 or Telefunken 6SN7WGT
I have to ask Craig about the Marconi PX25 balloon and PX4 too, he said they were the best he heard.

Sorry for the off topic,   Dear Marv and Mike do you think the Super 7 in this set up will provide the HD800 rich and full sound
that it should be with more bass.   Again is it powerful enough to drive the HE6?   On the contrary does it have too much
power for the use of more sensitive phones like the Grado's or Audiotechnica L3000? ( I can hear more microphonic when
using those with the BA while I don't have that problem with the LCD2)

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #83 of 101
I ordered one and am looking forward to trying it out.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #84 of 101

Quote:

I still feel my previous ZDT is more powerful than the BA in driving those phones although the soundstage
and details are better with the BA

Sorry for the off topic,   Dear Marv and Mike do you think the Super 7 in this set up will provide the HD800 rich and full sound
that it should be with more bass.   Again is it powerful enough to drive the HE6?   On the contrary does it have too much
power for the use of more sensitive phones like the Grado's or Audiotechnica L3000? ( I can hear more microphonic when
using those with the BA while I don't have that problem with the LCD2)

The Super7 will have the same Electra-Print E-I transformers as those found in the 2A3. The prototype had similar Transcendar E-I transformers. The Electra-Prints are supposedly slighter better, but with the same tonality. This means the amp should be able to drive high-efficiency speakers or low-efficiency headphones. It's probably more a matter of gain. I'll get everything set up by this weekend and I'll let you know.

The other option for you may be the 2A3, which is the ZDT replacement. You can roll the usual driver tubes and with either a 2A3 or 45 output tube. The BA output is actually limited (headphone only) compared to the 2A3 and S7.

Finally, the S7 should be slightly on the warmer, more organic side compared to the BA. This is not necessarily a bad thing because there are some really lean sounding 6SN7's out there. Overall, I think there is a little bit more latitude in terms of warmth on the S7 compared to the BA.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #85 of 101
Got a nice rich tonal balance on the S7 again by removing Craig's tubes he used up at Canjam.  I think he set that balance up for an LCD2 or something.  Kind of upset I didn't bring this set of tubes to the meet last time instead as everyone was trying out the HD800 with it versus the BA.

From HO I would not recommend the S7 ideally for the HE6 or K1000.  From the speaker terminals?  Not sure if it would be the same scenario.  Believe it or not I believe he is still determined to get his C core transformers made properly to his standard which last I heard would even double the potential output power (10 watts?).  He just refuses to let go of the concept he has in mind which I think is great.  I think they would be offered as a replacement if they come to fruition for those wanting to give them a whirl later.  Something to that effect, don't hold me to that. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #86 of 101
I have asked Craig about the AKG K1000 and HE6, he said that the Super 7 may not be powerful enough
to drive those phones.   I think I will use the balanced beta 22 to do the job.     The price of the Super7 may increase
if distributed by Jaben but I need to keep the money for the Electra.  The initial impression with the O2mkI
and Stax 507 , he said that it will beat BHSE, WES, and Ray's hands down .  The sound is rich warm and seductive.
I like my SR009 to be driven by that instead of the 727A.
Kind of upset I didn't bring this set of tubes to the meet last time instead as everyone was trying out the HD800 with it versus the BA.
What tubes will you use with the HD800?,  I don't have much success  to have the HD800 sound what I like : richer, more bass, more dynamic
I think the super 7 will do a better job.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #87 of 101
Got a nice rich tonal balance on the S7 again by removing Craig's tubes he used up at Canjam.  I think he set that balance up for an LCD2 or something.  Kind of upset I didn't bring this set of tubes to the meet last time instead as everyone was trying out the HD800 with it versus the BA.

You mean those Russians with the extra highs that attack like us like the Grados?

What tubes will you use with the HD800?,  I don't have much success  to have the HD800 sound what I like : richer, more bass, more dynamic
I think the super 7 will do a better job.

It's quite possible you just don't like the HD800. The try Anax mod on the HD800 first and go from there.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #88 of 101

Quote:
You mean those Russians with the extra highs that attack like us like the Grados?

Yeah, the driver and two initial outputs.  Then the 4 GTBs that kinda just take up space.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #90 of 101
It's quite possible you just don't like the HD800. The try Anax mod on the HD800 first and go from there
   I have seen a blog on HD800 Anax mod but it seems to me that it improves several aspects of HD800 and
that probably save us from expensive cable.  I do use the Zeus Gold clad Aphrodite cable which do improve
some of the sound to the one I like.   However I would like to know how can you improve it more with the BA
and possible tube rolling.   I don't like the modification on the headphone because it may destroy its value later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back