Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Jun 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #46 of 456
Quote:

009 would be a nice compliment to your TH900.

Thanks Anaxilus. I actually saw you in the show but you were in a involved convo with someone and I didn't want to interrupt. But yea, the 009 would be a very nice addition, it surpassed my expectations for a electrostatic headphone (I'm sure the amp was involved in the sound as well).

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #47 of 456
Quote:
Thanks Anaxilus. I actually saw you in the show but you were in a involved convo with someone and I didn't want to interrupt. But yea, the 009 would be a very nice addition, it surpassed my expectations for a electrostatic headphone (I'm sure the amp was involved in the sound as well).

You should have jumped in!  If it was Jason or Craig I usually just pick a point in space, focus, smile and nod a lot which is the internationally recognized distress call.  J/k.  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Heard back from Craig.  There will be 3 stat amps.

1-A slightly improved Electra for production.  I have an idea as to the possibilities but can't say which in case the logistics don't work out.
2-The Electra SE
3-A SS version.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #48 of 456
Any timeline yet on when production or preorders are?

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #49 of 456
Quote:
Any timeline yet on when production or preorders are?

It's on the front page of the EC website. Were I a betting man, I would say he's probably accepting preorders.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #50 of 456
Quote:

You should have jumped in!  If it was Jason or Craig I usually just pick a point in space, focus, smile and nod a lot which is the internationally recognized distress call.  J/k.  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Heard back from Craig.  There will be 3 stat amps.

1-A slightly improved Electra for production.  I have an idea as to the possibilities but can't say which in case the logistics don't work out.
2-The Electra SE
3-A SS version.

Will all three be coming out at around the same time? 

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #51 of 456
No. It's the Electra for now. There is no guarantee that anything else will see the light of day. I will post some more info on the Electra when I get the chance.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #52 of 456
That would be appreciated.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #53 of 456
As I have indicated before, I try not to comment too much on non-yet-in-production designs for obvious reasons. But this is what I got out of him.

Front panel
A new front panel will have just two input switch positions B for balanced, and SE for unbalanced. The bias switch will be removed, the 6 pin will be 230V, and the 5 pin 580V. Spritzer won't be needing to pick up pieces of normal bias STAX headphones which exploded.

Tubes
The low voltage section of the power transformer will be beefed up to accommodate the EL34 tubes so the Electra can run the 6L6GC, or EL34.

Coupling caps
Craig and Andy are exploring a few ways to get rid of at least a few coupling caps. This will result in some significant design changes and a price increase. Personally I feel this is a good design decision that will immensely increase transparency. I'm sure it's harder for Craig because I know he's trying to hit an entry level price point.

DISCLOSURE: Craig lets me hear prototypes. I pop over to his place from time to time to see what's cooking. He lets me borrow tubes which I forgot to return to him. He doesn't give me discounts. I've paid full price for everything.

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #54 of 456
The bias switch will be removed, the 6 pin will be 230V, and the 5 pin 580V
    Can it be 500 V for HE90 and 580 for other stax ?

The low voltage section of the power transformer will be beefed up to accommodate the EL34 tubes so the Electra can run the 6L6GC, or EL34
      That's very good news indeed.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #56 of 456
@Purrin,  could you inform us about the tubes used in Electra SE.  I know that the power tubes are KT120 but I wonder
what are the drivers?
BTW, What is the approximate peak to peak voltage of the Electra standard and SE?  Does the standard version do a good job for O2mkI?
If the Electra is the same clone as Aristaeus, it may not have enough peak to peak voltage to drive the O2mkI 

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #57 of 456
The specs on the SE are in flux. I've gotten different answers every time I've asked him. I'm sure he's still working things out in his head.

I haven't heard the O2mk1 on the standard Electra, but given that my only complaint was with the bloated mk2.5 bass (un-modded mine for this test), I think it should be fine if you like something laid back sounding. I've heard the mk2.5 sound worse. The Electra is warming sounding than my existing rig, so I'm guessing this may suite your preferences.

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #58 of 456
Quote:
As I have indicated before, I try not to comment too much on non-yet-in-production designs for obvious reasons. But this is what I got out of him.

Front panel
A new front panel will have just two input switch positions B for balanced, and SE for unbalanced. The bias switch will be removed, the 6 pin will be 230V, and the 5 pin 580V. Spritzer won't be needing to pick up pieces of normal bias STAX headphones which exploded.

This must be the end of times as manufacturers never listen. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Switchable bias only belongs on garbage like McAllister amps. 

It will be interesting to see what direction he takes the circuit while cutting out interstage coupling caps.  The Mafia has been working on similar designs lately for the new volksamp project and now we are sitting at one interstage cap per phase which isn't bad.  This means compromises though... 

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #59 of 456
Quote:
The Mafia has been working on similar designs lately for the new volksamp project and now we are sitting at one interstage cap per phase which isn't bad. 

Funny you should say that....

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #60 of 456
I haven't heard the O2mk1 on the standard Electra, but given that my only complaint was with the bloated mk2.5 bass (un-modded mine for this test),
I think it should be fine if you like something laid back sounding. I've heard the mk2.5 sound worse.
The Electra is warming sounding than my existing rig, so I'm guessing this may suite your preferences
      Thanks,  I like the warm sounding on the HE90 and SR009.  However the O2mkI is already a warm sounding phone  IMO so it may not
be a good match with Electra.  I like the sound of O2mkI driven by Spritzer modded 727A more.   the Aristaeus does not drive the O2mkI well enough
and does not drive the SR009 as well as the DIY T2 but the warm sound of Aristaeus is a good match for the SR009.   I wish the Electra has the peak to
peak voltage of around 1400-1600V and has the warm sounding that you mentioned.  We can also do the tube rolling to correct, especially with the 6SN7's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back