Echoes from the Future -- Meier Audio goes High-End
Aug 16, 2005 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
I had a few fascinating days with Jan's DAC prototype -- in the not so unfamiliar function as guinea pig for his new gear. There were a few teething problems in the form of stray pick-up interferences -- which Jan himself considers fixed in his own copy --, but when it comes to the sound, I'm really amazed. His first DAC and such a high level! Initially I was under the impression that it was intended to be integrated in his next generation's amp flagship model and therefore didn't expect it to sound that good. In fact it's not more than a study project so far, but indeed there's the plan to offer a high-end headphone amp with integrated high-end DAC -- probably in a similar execution as the prototype at hand, just not with quite as sophisticated features (four types of filters, three of them digital implementations of the famous «Analoguer») --, and there will be no stand-alone DAC.

Well, to my surprise this DAC can absolutely compete with my established source references: Bel Canto DAC2 and McCormack UDP-1! The latter is exemplary when it comes to draw pinpoint-accurate images with great dynamic authority and high expressivity. The Meier-Audio prototype shares a lot of this expressivity, but has a smoother, flowing characteristic with emphasis on space between the notes, resolution and ultimately refined treble with fascinating high-end sparkle -- and in turn sacrifices a little bit of compactness and resoluteness. It has a downright tubey characteristic, just accompanied with an unusual transparency and clarity. So a euphonic Meier-Audio product? I think to some degree, yes -- considering that every DAC has some sort of «characteristic» anyway, that's not a bad thing --, but Jan seems to slightly disagree with me on this. However, this is a stunning DAC, and I enjoyed every minute with it. Now the Bel Canto DAC2: What it lacks in comparison to the other two is expressivity, the ability to make simple sounds such as a solo clarinet or violin sound alive and interesting. Although there are no glaring faults in its reproduction -- there's high detail and transparency and a very natural and neutral sonic balance --, it doesn't convey the same musical flow and fascination as the contenders. Still it's an excellent DAC and highly recommendable, but if you have more musical sounding alternative at hand... Which of course cost a lot more (at least the UDP-1). What about the Meier DAC in this respect? I simply can't imagine that Jan is going to sell extremely high-priced gear -- that's not his style. So I wouldn't be surprised (anymore) to see an absolute bargain DAC in his product range, presumably equipped with coaxial and USB digital inputs, integrated in a high-end amp of equal quality...

...which leads me to the second Meier-Audio prototype I currently have with me since quite a while already and which has served me for judging the above DACs. It doesn't have the final power supply yet and thus will sound slightly different (even better, I guess) in series, but what I can say is that I'm absolutely pleased with what I hear. Indeed: Meier Audio goes High-End. (If it isn't already.)

peacesign.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 22
Excellent thread. Very informative.

But seriously, this is good news!
eek.gif

Well, bad news for me and my wallet. To think that just a few months ago, we only had a few options to choose from when looking for an DAC+amp combo - the Benchmark DAC1, or the Grace m901/902, the Apogee MiniDAC, what else? But nowadays we have Headroom manufacturing all their amps with a DAC option, and with Meier Audio possibly doing that in the future as well - we will have a literal banquet of options to choose from.

I was going to get a Headroom combo, but now I'm not so sure...

Aug 17, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 22
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think the great thing with an amp/DAC combination is the lack of interconnects. No need for worrying about cable influences anymore (in this sector).

BTW, forgot to mention: The DAC prototype had USB, coaxial S/PDIF and Toslink inputs.

peacesign.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 22
Good news! Meier Audio has been high-end for some time regarding sound but looks alone don't create that image.
The coming DAC is really promising and it is surprising that it seems to compete with brands as Bel Canto and McCormack. I wish Jan good luck with the remaining design work.

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Excellent thread. Very informative.

Noooooooo, it's contagious!
icon10.gif

All those pretty DAC options popping up on my home turf, it has to mean something... I hope Jan releases it, as a standalone (ampless) unit, before I pull the trigger on the AQVOX, just so I can wiggle in pain for a while...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
and there will be no stand-alone DAC.

Jan, in case you're reading this, why not a stand-alone DAC?

Aug 26, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 22
Dear Headfellows,

It's good to have Jazz! It may surprise people but I don't have any high-level DAC/player myself so it's good to have him as my guinae-pig!

:)

"to my surprise this DAC can absolutely compete with my established source references: Bel Canto DAC2 and McCormack UDP-1!"

I'm surprised myself!

It's true that this is a study project only. But I've learned a lot and the experience gained one day certainly will show in some commercial products. Still a few problems have to be solved first.

" Meier Audio has been high-end for some time regarding sound but looks alone don't create that image."

You will be surprised in a few months!

"why not a stand-alone DAC?"

People know me for my headamp but choices with DACs are numerous and people do tend to buy products with a reputation. I don't feel this would be a successfull product. It's the same as with my poweramps. They really do sound good but people are hardly interested.

To end with just a few pictures:

frontdac.jpg

bacddac.jpg

platine1dac.jpg

platine2dac.jpg

Cheers

Jan

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 22
Are those analog outputs in the back, or are they analog inputs?

Nice prototype, Jan. I especially like the shielding "walls" around the digital section. Also, the dual power supplies. Keeping the Amp power and DAC power separate is a good choice.

From a glance it looks like you may be able move those two large electrolytic filter caps back (and cramming a few other components too), closer to the digital section, and maybe it could free up more room for possibly fitting a better pot, like a "Blue Velvet" Alps perhaps.

Just a thought.

-Ed

Aug 26, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 22
Dear Ed,

"Are those analog outputs in the back, or are they analog inputs?"

These are analog outputs. Be aware, this DAC has no volume control and therefore does not work as a preamp.

"fitting a better pot, like a "Blue Velvet" Alps perhaps."

No pot. The control on the front is a rotary switch that allows to control the digital delay line and thus the filtering characteristics.

Jan

Aug 27, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 22
Jan...

Quote:

These are analog inputs.

...I'm sure you meant digital inputs.
wink.gif

peacesign.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
Dear Ed,

"Are those analog outputs in the back, or are they analog inputs?"

These are analog inputs. Be aware, this DAC has no volume control and therefore does not work as a preamp.

"fitting a better pot, like a "Blue Velvet" Alps perhaps."

No pot. The control on the front is a rotary switch that allows to control the digital delay line and thus the filtering characteristics.

Jan

Hmm. A headphone amp/DAC without volume control?? Jan, if you're worried about marketability, I would think a volume knob/control is almost mandatory.

Since B follows A, once a volume knob is introduced, there's nothing stopping you from sneaking in a set of preamp outputs
smily_headphones1.gif

Along with USB digital input and above features, if it sounds half as good as Jazz says, tons of people, including myself, will be in line with our cash in hand! It would be like Meitner DCC2 DAC/preamp or Stello DAC/preamp WITH great headphone amp !

Aug 27, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #15 of 22
Augh, I should have written analog outputs!

This DAC doesn't have analog inputs nor does it have a headphone jack. This is simply a stand-alone DAC. Nothing more, nothing less.

As said, this is a study object. There are plans to produce a series of headamps with digital inputs but they're for the future.

Cheers

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back