Eating Healthily
Oct 5, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #32 of 104
Thanks!  Ya I don't exactly agree with BMI completely.  My Dr was saying that for my height (6ft) my ideal weight is 175lbs.  I look like a stick at that weight.  I'm always tired at that weight too.  I felt best at 210lbs and I was in way better shape than.   I have strength now but I'm not comfortable being strong and not as agile as 210lbs.  

I'll try to get them up.  If I can't figure out how to make it show on here I'll just write out the formula.  

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #33 of 104
Some really strange suggestions in this thread. It all comes down to eating simple foods, often, and in small portions. Many people cannot eat what I eat now as they will not tolerate the same meal 5 times a day every day, but I have lost 75 lbs since July 2011 (from 270 to 195, waist size 42 to 34) from this diet along with some light (and I do mean light) exercise (free weights, high intensity cardio). The Western Diet as someone called it is not so simple as 'Meat and Potatoes', because as you'll see, that's exactly what I eat. You can certainly change up what are in your meals if you want to follow a plan similar to mine, but it will take more time (more differences = more prep and more dish cleaning), and cost more (doesn't get any cheaper than chicken, potatoes and water).

chicken-breast.jpg
DSCN3068.JPG

ozarka-water-delivery.jpg
mio-strawberry-watermelon-1.6-ounce-pack-of-4.jpg

Half a chicken breast (seasoned), about the same size in diced baked potatoes (same seasoning as chicken plus a couple extras I like to throw in), 16oz bottled water with flavoring (no sugar no calories) 4-5 times a day depending on your activity level and hunger. I was on regular water for a while, but I tried these MiO flavors and I am hooked. These have COMPLETELY killed any craving whatsoever I could have for soda. I have not had nor desired a soda in 5 months. Strawberry Watermelon and Fruit Punch are my faves, btw.

I cook a weeks worth of meals all in one shot in the space of about 3 hours total (compare to cooking each meal as you need it) and refrigerate them in Gladware square containers like these, then warm them up in the micro for a minute to minute and a half and it's good to go.

GladwareContainer.jpg

Also, I don't ONLY eat those meals, but they are the vast majority of what I eat. I enjoy ice cream, candy, pizza, steaks, anything I want when I'm eating out with the family. Sure I make sure to pick something that isn't absolutely deadly to my diet, but I don't only choose from the 'ultra healthy' portion of the menu either. I rarely get cravings for anything these days as I've adapted to always knowing what I'm going to eat that it has become more of a function of life than a tri-daily event that needs planning. I spend as little thought on what I'm going to eat as I do to breath.

SAVING MONEY.... People always tell me that eating healthy is expensive. That is a LIE. The meals I eat, shown above, cost me, including the bottled water, $1.00-1.50. 4-5 times a day I'm good for the whole day for $5-7.50. I used to spend that much in a single meal in a drive through. Yes I'm eating 5 meals a day every day for $200 a month. My food costs when I was eating very poorly were $450 per month for 2 drive through meals a day at $7.50. Wouldn't you like to lose weight and make money at the same time? It's mind boggling now that I know a system that works that others don't do the same.

I also take a daily multivitamin and fish oil supplement. The costs for those are about $1.00 a day combined.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #34 of 104
1. Juice = Not all juice is from concentrate and I'm sure normal/pure juice is better for you than Crystal Light

False. Juice is high calorie and high sugar (even if it is natural sugars, it's still sugar). The best thing to drink is water. Flavored water is almost as good depending on what flavoring you use.

People think drinking juice is great, but it's actually one of the easiest things to over-eat. Just one cup of orange juice is ~120 calories. Most people have at least 2-3 cups in a tall glass of juice. My meals I posted above are almost the same amount of calories as just your drink, grats on eating healthy.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #35 of 104
Hey Maxvla, I'd be careful of drinking that mia drink.  If theres no calories than your body cannot digest it.  It gets turned over as a toxin and kills a bit of the good bacteria in your intestine you need to digest important nutrients.  Seems like you have a pretty good diet but that drink is a big X on my list.  I don't want any additives that replace sugar.  If its synthesized, your body will have a hard time digesting it and it can do more harm than good.  
That goes for proteins like skinless chicken, if chicken breast or thighs have carbs in it there is steroids in them.  No chicken should have any carbs in them...lol
Taking multivitamins is pretty good but its a lot more beneficial to get it straight from your foods.  Anything synthesized will make your body work to digest it and multivitamins are one of those.  But it doesn't hurt to try and catch those vitamins that weren't had through out the day.  
I also like to carry around a 1.7 gallon water bottle/jug so I know how much I'm drinking.  People look at me funny but than again I don't need to count all the ounces of water I drank.  I know I will drink that jug and thats all to it.  
Meh this is just my $00.02.  Everyone can do what they please...lol  

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #36 of 104
Wow, that tidbit about the juices is very interesting. I know that I've hated commercial Apple juice since forever, because of how sweet it felt, and how it made me feel so gluttonous. The last kind of "apple juice" I purchased was apple cider from my local farmer's market, which despite the Potassium sorbate, is probably better than a Mott's or an Apple and Eve.

I don't feel very comfortable about the Mio. The idea about using artificial sweeteners isn't very settling. I always thought that anything natural is better than its artificial counterpart.

In other news, I'm reading "Fast Food Nation" right now, and it's pretty interesting.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 104
The amount of sweetener is pretty small. I don't find it significant enough. It is less than 2% of the MiO which is less than 1% of your total water mixture. We're talking in the thousandths of percent of your water.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #38 of 104
Yup do your home work and you'll soon see that companies will try to get you to buy what ever they have "new" and "better for you".  If it were like that than there would be no need for any of the natural foods.  There are cites that have listing of what types of additives there are and what they can do to the body.  I don't trust anything that says no calories or anything that is suppose to be a substitute for any nutrition.  But keep up with doing your home work and you will be one of the more educated people that can see what companies are trying to shove down our throats.  Keep up the good work!  
PS.  Share some of your thoughts about fast foods.  I won't go near that stuff.  

Quote:
Wow, that tidbit about the juices is very interesting. I know that I've hated commercial Apple juice since forever, because of how sweet it felt, and how it made me feel so gluttonous. The last kind of "apple juice" I purchased was apple cider from my local farmer's market, which despite the Potassium sorbate, is probably better than a Mott's or an Apple and Eve.

I don't feel very comfortable about the Mio. The idea about using artificial sweeteners isn't very settling. I always thought that anything natural is better than its artificial counterpart.

In other news, I'm reading "Fast Food Nation" right now, and it's pretty interesting.

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #39 of 104
Its all serving size and one size=600 the amount stronger than sugar in just 8oz of water.  It's better to just get a fruit and eat it.  Your losing weight quickly because perhaps the foods you are really eating, the nutrients aren't being picked up because of that.  Here they talk about it some what but try looking up some things about sucralose.

[size=1px !important][size=1px !important][/size][size=1px !important][/size][size=1px !important][/size][size=1px !important][/size][size=1px !important][/size][/size]

MiO was created to abolish the anguish and boredom of passive beverage drinking. Because, you know, stuff is better when it's yours. Why, then, do people settle for one-size-fits-all drinks? We couldn't answer that question, so we created MiO.

MiO liquid water enhancer lets you make up to 24* drinks however you want. Simply add as much or as little MiO as you wish and create your dream beverage. Then, chug and repeat. You may wonder where we've been all your life. That's a normal reaction.

Now our mission is to expand the horizons of the young and thirsty. To redefine what a drink can be. To make sweet drinkable art in pretty colors. Who's with us?

Introducing MiO. Available in six epic flavors. For about $3.99 a pop.

Want to dive in deeper? Check out our FAQ here. If that feels a bit forward, start with this abbreviated nutritional cheat sheet:

[size=1px !important][size=1px !important][/size][size=1px !important][/size][/size]

Each of MiO's six flavors is:

1. Caffeine-free
  2. Calorie-free per 8 fluid ounce serving
  3. 0g Carbohydrates and considered a free exchange
  4. Sugar-free
  5. Free of artificial flavors

1. Kosher
  2. Gluten-free
  3. Cruciverbalistic
  4. Tasty
  5. Good-looking

MiO is sweetened with sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.

*Our lawyers would like us to clarify that those are 8 fl oz. drinks. Our lawyers would also like the clouds to part and cufflinks to rain from the sky.**
**Our lawyers did not approve that last part.

http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/pages/about-mio.html

Heres an article that talks about it.
http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page9.htm

Heres another.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/11-sucralose-side-effects/

Another.
http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/sucralose.html

Another.
http://www.kensavage.com/archives/splenda-and-sucralose-are-toxic-and-poison/

Another.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/333994-does-sucralose-have-digestive-side-effects/

I don't want to scare anyone but I find these pretty disturbing.  Please, I hope no one feels as though as I am trying to bash anyone.  I just like to help educate as well as learn my self also.  In the end it will all boil down to what we want to do.  I am just trying to be helpful thats all.  

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #40 of 104
While that's all well and good, the quantity these articles are talking about is beyond what I consume. One of the articles mentions a cup of Sucralose, while at most I consume a table spoon of MiO, normally less than that per day and less than 2% of that is Sucralose. I also found it interesting how these sites kept mentioning how the rats got all these severe symptoms, but only one mentioned that they were given a dosage far exceeding what could be considered a normal diet. Fear mongering anyone?

Regarding losing weight, I didn't start drinking water with MiO until I had already lost about 25 pounds. I don't think it had anything to do with my weight loss. Changing from 2 big drive through meals a day to 5 small clean meals a day was responsible for that.

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #41 of 104
Hey congrats on wanting to lose weight. I've lost 20 pounds less far.

At the end of the day it boils down to removing non-fiber carbohydrates. (Look how Uncle Erik lost 100+ pounds not eating sugar or flour.) We didn't evolve to carbs accept in whole fruit, and it's the insulin spike carbs create that makes you fat. 

You don't get fat because you eat too much. You eat too much because your body wants to get fatter due to the insulin. Insulin makes you grow along the x-axis like growth hormone makes you grow along the y-axis. 

You can find a clip on YouTube of Gary Taubes doing the medical grand rounds at Dartmouth. He wrote a great 600-page book called "Good Calories Bad Calories" about precisely this. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #44 of 104
Eating healthy is a bit complicated these days because of all the new foods we eat and ways we process our food.  I think the simplest way to eat healthy without learning too much is to just think about eating real, simple food that people would have eaten 100 years ago.  It's one principle that will result in you eating much healthier food.  Some of the processed food we eat today is healthy but most of it is not.  Most is either made for convenience or is being driven into our diet because someone is making a lot of money selling it to us. 

I'm on a strict diet right now of nothing but meat, vegetables, fruit, yogurt and a bit of cheese, and the occasional bowl of brown rice.  It's boring and repetitive, but it's really healthy. 

Here's a few tips:

- Make sure you get enough protein everyday.  Most of the functions in the body require protein to run properly.  Humans can't generate protein, we need to get it from our diet.  So you need to eat enough protein.  If you insist on being vegetarian, you'll need to eat a lot of vegetable protein sources which will probably be your number one challenge.  Soy is not the best primary source for lots of protein.  They don't eat soy like we do in Asia, it's only eaten cultured and it's a side dish, not a main course so it's best to follow that and only eat soy in cultrured forms on the side.  Beans, eggs and milk products, etc are good. 

- Use olive oil if you're not cooking at very high temperatures.  For high heat, use coconut oil or avocado oil.  The rest of the oils are prone to going rancid because the way they are processed leaves them unstable.  Most Americans eat mostly rancid oil which causes all kinds of health problems.  The oils I listed above are expensive, but if you get 365 or Trader Joes brands, it's not bad.  365 makes an avocado oil.  For coconut oil, get extra virgin.  It's a delicious oil and smells amazing.  Butter and ghee are also very stable, and non-hydrogenated saturated fat isn't actually bad for you as long as it's not your main cooking oil.  We need some saturated fat in our diet.  Removing all saturated fat isn't healthy.  More important is to avoid rancid oil.  Don't eat deep fried food.  The oil they use is not stable at the temps they deep fry at, and so it is oxidized and rancid and you're soaking your food in it.   Also store your cooking oil in the dark with the cap on, and buy small bottles of popular brands to make sure they stay fresh and don't sit at the store or in your kitchen for too long.  Sunlight and air are what make oils go rancid. 

- Eat lots of vegetables and fruit.  Any way you want or can.  If you can't get fresh stuff, get frozen.  You can get packs of frozen vegetable mixes at Whole Foods and if you need a quick snack you can microwave one of these, add some kind of bottled sauce (with simple real ingredients) or olive oil, lemon, soy sauce, whatever.  Avoid fruit products with lots of added sugar.

- Avoid empty carbs.  Generally foods like rice, potatoes, bread, etc are not very nutrient dense.  If you eat them in their whole grain state, it's better, but you're getting a lot of calories with less nutrients in these foods so try not eating too much.  This is difficult as a vegetarian, I think most vegetarians wind up loading up on carbs which is much worse than eating meat.  But some is ok for most people.  Avoid things like white rice and white flour or any other processed grains all together.  They're even less nutrient dense.  If you eat potatoes, eat the skins. 

- Since you're vegetarian, get some fish oil supplements.  My nutritionist recommends NOW brand Super EPA because it's cheap and she knows it is pure.  I take 5 of those per day w/food.  It depends on where your ancestors lived, but most people lived near water until very recently and ate lots of fish.  It takes several generations to adjust to different diets so our bodies are setup to be getting lots of fish oil.  Even if you eat meat, you can't eat that much fish because of the Mercury content among other things.  So fish oil is a good way to get those Omegas that our bodies are used to getting.  Keep fish oil supplements in the freezer to keep them from going rancid. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #45 of 104

What about this? My one main meal a day. I usually have a minor meal consisting of either a donut or banana. That's it. Add green or oolong tea and an occasional Izzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back