Earthquake!
Jun 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Man, I almost had a heart attack five minutes ago! My apartment building was shaking really noticeably! It lasted a few seconds. I was about to run outside for my life, when the shaking stopped. Apparently it happened in Ottawa too, which is like 350 km away. Right now I am sitting on needles. Is the world coming to an end?

On a side note, I was listening to my SM3 and for a moment I thought - WOW how did it develop such earth shaking bass?
biggrin.gif
(coughs nervousily)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24427215-Tiny-Earthquake-East-Toronto

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 19
In Toronto as well and definitely felt it.

Nothing major at all though, something that most Californians or Japanese would simply laugh off, probably. 
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 19
Felt it in Timmins!

It was weird, I was half-watching RDI (French news network in Canada) and he started mentioning that he felt things shake, for a good 15-30 seconds. One minute later, we felt it, like waves in the ground.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
In Toronto as well and definitely felt it.

Nothing major at all though, something that most Californians or Japanese would simply laugh off, probably
wink.gif

Yeah, but the problem is that in the past 10 years I've lived in Canada, I never felt an earthquake. And never felt one in my life before either (am from Ukraine). It was a really scary first experience for me!

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 19
I actually had all kinds of scary thoughts running through my head - what if it's a terrorist attack, a meteor impact, or WWIII? lol

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 19
It didn't even phase me, to be honest. I thought for a second that the construction started up again across the way, but then realized it wasn't likely the case. I feel bad for the Ottawa region (epicentre), I heard there were cracks in the streets and such.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 19
That's just par for the course here in Los Angeles. :)

If you ever watch the movie, "L.A. Story," the scene where there's an earthquake and no one reacts is surprisingly accurate.

We had one a couple of years ago and I knew that a new (at the time) co-worker from the Northeast hadn't been through one before. While it was still shaking, I casually walked into her office and asked her what she thought of it. She was a little nervous, but then a few others dropped by to see how the "virgin" handled it.

As long as building codes are up to snuff, there isn't much to worry about. Unlike those poor souls in Haiti.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 19
Im in Toronto working at the studio but we didnt notice it.. funny thing is the studio is closed and soundproof and 3 of us are inside but didnt notice anything were just horsing around like the usual stuff
deadhorse.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 19
I don't see what the big deal was! It was a 5.0 and was in Quebec... Apparently some roads sunk in there and so on. My TV was shaking but it was about 30 seconds and it wasn't really a violent shaking.

At 8.0 is when a TV doesn't just shake, it crawls up your wall rotates its panel 360 degrees and starts vomiting green goop out of its inputs... That's when you call an old technician and a young technician.

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Your personal fetishes have nothing to do with this.

Hope you cats are ok.

Sorry, if I appear dumb. Could you explain what you mean by this?

To those who think this is no big deal - like I said, this was my first earthquake experience. I live on the forth floor of an old apartment building and it did shake quite a bit - in fact, my first thought was that the building is falling apart! If you were on the ground or in a newer building, you probably didn't feel it anywhere near as much.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #13 of 19
Comedy. Ha Ha. Funny. Sitting on needles? Not personal as in "you sick pervert"
tongue.gif
. Levity man, levity.

Your ground is some of the oldest on earth. That you had one of decent strength suggests the mantle is moving all over the world. Theory is as we move across the galaxy's central plain, the earth will shift polarity. I'd be curious to know if the earth's rotation is slowing.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Comedy. Ha Ha. Funny. Sitting on needles? Not personal as in "you sick pervert"
tongue.gif
. Levity man, levity.

Sorry, English is not my first language.
redface.gif
I just meant I was really worried. I thought I could use that phrase. It's like sitting on needles means that you have a hard time sitting down because you are nervous, kind of like if you were it too much pain to sit still if you were sitting on needles.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Understand. Comedy reads differently in print.

My first toss out of bed at 3 in the morning was in San Diego. You know you were summoned by God himself. Sitting on pins and needles is apt to the anxiety felt not knowing what's next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back